Uncharted 3 Beta... who's playing?

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Been really looking forward to this multiplayer Beta, anyone else playing it? What are your thoughts on it?

So far, getting non-laggadocious games that don't freeze or totally drop has been hard, but it's to be expected. I think I have spent more time re-booting my PS and quitting out of matches then I have actually playing. Tried partying up with some friends and definitely found that when I playedd solo I had a better chance of both getting a clean match and actually finishing it before it crashed.

Was a little bummed to see they are following Black Ops' lead with the loadout system but that's really a minor gripe in the overall scheme. Seems like there will be some pretty cool perks that level themselves up once you have purchased them.

One thing I am really surprised at is how slow the game is... both in regards to controls and general pacing. Some of the matches are extremely slow-scoring but some of that has to be attributed to how many rounds you need to dump in someone to kill them. Back on Uncharted 2 prior to the patch that mucked it up, I think it was the perfect balance for the game.... Then they released the patch and turned it into black ops and people started complaining as it totally changed the pacing, strategy and gameplay from what people had grown to love about it. Being that Naughty Dog is known for listening to their players concerns it seems they actually took those gripes into consideration when designing the MP on this one and made it more similar to the pre-patch U2. But Im not sure that they didn't take it too far in the opposite direction. It could be that it is excellent and everyone's lack of familiarity along with the lagging is what is holding back the pace of the matches.

So far, Im enjoying it while also being a little frustrated with it. Im sure they will work out alot of the kinks and it'll be the fantastic game everyone is expecting it to be. There seems to be a ton of new additions to the game, some I am really excited for and some that are derivative and feel like they were put in because other games have them and they want to attract those other players to it. I just hope they did not put too much effort into the bells and whistles while ignoring what made Uncharted such an amazing multiplayer game in the first place.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What do you mean "following Black Ops lead with the loadout system?"

You mean they're just copying what every Call of Duty since 4 has been doing: allowing you to customize up to two weapons, choose assorted other gear, and pick "perks" or other modifiers which affect how your character plays?

Uncharted 2 had those trait things you could pick...have the expanded on this?

Gozer

Armored Scrum Object
Tried playing a couple of matches. It certainly does not take long for the frame rate to slow to a crawl. I've also been kicked from a free 4 all match for "killing teammates".

Naughty Dog has some work to do.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
I could have been more specific... the comment was referring to how kill streaks earn you rewards that can be immediately activated in game. Similar to the gun ships, RC-XDs and Napalm strikes in black ops. Have not delved deep enough into the game to see what all is available but I earned one reward which was a rocket launcher. In Uncharted 2 the rocket launcher was in-map and always in the same spot but in Uncharted 3, so far as I can tell you only gain access to them by getting kill streaks. Set numbers of streaks have selectable rewards...

But as you said, also the weapon tabs each with its own customizable perks is also new to this version as well.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sounds like this is a real beta test and not just a pre-release demo.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Tried playing a couple of matches. It certainly does not take long for the frame rate to slow to a crawl. I've also been kicked from a free 4 all match for "killing teammates".

Naughty Dog has some work to do.

You sure you were booted for killing teammates? Is free for all every man for himself... which means no teams? Ive had games crash, freeze, been booted to the main, etc but not actually been booted by another player. yet.

Good thing about the beta is it is giving them the chance to find and address errors, glitches, imbalances and more... they sure do have alot of work to do but if uncharted 2 is any measure of what they are capable of I have total faith in them.

I do however feel like the Uncharted 2 beta was in much better shape when it first dropped then this one is. Everyone is excited about this title so hopefully them rushing it to make gamers happy does not equal a sacrifice in quality

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Not many people playing this then? Starting to get the hang of it... definitely feels different from Uncharted 2, almost a little sluggish. But Im really liking it... especially the 3 team 2 player deathmatch. If anyone wants to get some games hit me up... PSN: SevenStarFist

Oh and I noticed that one of the kickbacks is you can transform into a swarm of spiders! Pretty awesome.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
nah, not interested in the multiplayer aspect of it, so I didn't bother downloading. Bring on the 1P!

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
oh shi its kernow!!!

do i need some password to dl the beta for this?

Reality Check

World Hero
Like Kernow, I don't care for the multiplayer. The competitive multiplayer anyway. More interested in co-op returning

red shoe paul

Stakes Winner
15 Year Member
nah, not interested in the multiplayer aspect of it, so I didn't bother downloading. Bring on the 1P!

Same here. I was iffy on Uncharted 2s multiplayer before, but now that I know how it's like, I'll be staying away from Uncharted 3s. I also have an extra beta code if anybody needs one.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
whats up with the experience and the money in multiplayer? so its not bad enough that i suck, but everybody has higher stats and better gear? i never played 2 and 1 didn't have multi. i dig the single player though.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
When I'm running and I try to turn, it controls too slowly. This needs changed immediately.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They should just give up on trying to shoe horn competitive multiplayer in to a series that is primarily about excellent single player action/adventure.

They should just add in some real nice co-op stuff.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I'm personally not too impressed with this multiplayer beta. Controls seem sluggish and aiming a chore. This kind of stuff doesn't affect the single player too much, but it is a major sticking point with the multiplayer. As others have said, stick with making the one player experience instead of shoehorning multiplayer.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I been playing the UC3 beta and it's fine.Though,i've seen a few glitches such as having problems logging in or when useing the mic it just cuts out for no reason.The other weird thing i've seen is the difficulty go's up like crazy.

Btw it is best though to play co-op frist befor trying the other modes.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I found the aiming slugish myself, even after cranking sensitivity, but I found aiming with a pistol much quicker and responsive. I think the slight delay when aiming with a rifle is by design to give hand guns a purpose besides being something to fall back on when you run out of ammo.

I really really wouldn't say multiplayer is shoehorned into either uncharted2 or 3, they both have amazing multiplayer content and probably the most unique gameplay of all the big name online shooty games, sheesh.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Uncharted 2 isn't a big name online game. Period.

There are a lot of cool ideas in uncharted multiplayer for sure though.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
hmm well maybe I am trapped in my little playstation circle but it seemed rather big to me :) well I stand corrected on that. Should be big though.....damnit.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

Its not as popular as CoD but a lot of people enjoy it and play it, what else do you need? Calling it "shoehorned" in is pretty unfair, it was obviously well thought out.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

Everything has to have an online mode nowadays, it's fucking dumb, even RE5 had a versus deathmatch addon ... thing.

I hate it, give me a decent 1P mode any day instead of these 6hr long 1P / 900hr MP things we get nowadays, so lazy.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Everything has to have an online mode nowadays, it's fucking dumb, even RE5 had a versus deathmatch addon ... thing.

I hate it, give me a decent 1P mode any day instead of these 6hr long 1P / 900hr MP things we get nowadays, so lazy.

Play Vanquish?