Underappreciated horror movies?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Maniac - Need more details, but I think I've seen this.
House of the Devil - I've been hesitant about this, but I guess I'll check it out.
Cat in the Brain - Well, the title's certainly intrigueing. Is it on Netflix Watch Instantly?
Undead Zombies from Australia Head to the US - Is this as cheesy as it sounds?
Videodrone - Not familiar with this. What's the pitch?

Maniac is about a guy that had a fucked up childhood and now has some serious mommy issues. He likes to scalp women and place the scalps around his pad on mennequins. (sp?)

House of the Devil is an actual throw back not a parody. The SE release even came with a VHS tape that looked like it came from a rental store.

Cat in the Brain stars Fullci as himself. A director driven insane by his own films. No idea about Netflix.

Undead is awesome but it's love it or hate it type thing. Very small budget and a large amount of humor and sci-fi thrown in.

Videodrome is just plain awesome, one of my favorite films of all time. James Woods is the operator of a sleazy mid 80s satellite TV station. He gets dragged into some sort of twisted snuff/reality bending something, not sure how to describe it really. Not horror IMO but it's definitely something special.

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
abominableDVD.jpg

Cheesy fun!

Wrong Turn 3... I liked it anyhow

And a "classic" for all Halloween buffs... Halloween 666 Trailer. The theatrical version (Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers) sucks, but the uncut director's cut movie (Halloween 666: The Origins of Michael Myers) is pretty f'n bad-ass! I love its atmosphere, and try to watch it once every Halloween

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
A good, stylish giallo is Un Bianco Vestito Per Mariale ("A White Dress For Mariale") aka Spirits of Death.

I second The Beyond by Lucio Fulci, and also recommend The House By The Cemetary by him. If you like those, try Zombie and City of the Living Dead.

I love Dario Argento movies partly for the elaborate and shocking death scenes and interesting scene set ups (like the underwater room in Inferno) but I agree, taken as a whole, most of his movies are lacking in many ways. I still would recommend you see Inferno (at least the beginning half), Tenebre, and Deep Red.

The Brood by Cronenberg is great.

I thought The Sentinel was pretty good too, despite the ending.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Dead Set
Let The Right One In
Tourist Trap (pretty obscure)

If you're looking for cheesy horror:
My Name Is Bruce

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Videodrome is just plain awesome, one of my favorite films of all time. James Woods is the operator of a sleazy mid 80s satellite TV station. He gets dragged into some sort of twisted snuff/reality bending something, not sure how to describe it really. Not horror IMO but it's definitely something special.

Long live the new flesh!

Agreed. One of my favs as well.

For some oddities, I recommend checking out http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/index.htm. Not only horror, but there a lot of good weird stuff in there to keep you busy for ever.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I'm an old school horror nut - but you guys have beat me to mentioning a lot of these, hah! I'll still chime in though... "Kairo" and "Rinne" (J-Horror) don't seem to get mentioned much as far as I can tell, but they're true classics. Ringu and the Ju-on films always seem to get more appreciation.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
As many have mentioned, The Beyond if you have not seen it. I gave the SE version to my brother 10 years ago or so for Xmas. He refused to watch it! We saw as kids and fucked him up for life against horror films. Great film!

Do you fancy any of the Demon films?

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
argh how could i forget about They Live... The Thing is freaking awesome as well

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
All that typing, lost in a server error. Fuck it. I'll respond later. :/

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Check out Martyrs.... really fucked up and scary movie. The movie is sort of told in 2 acts and both are equally great. The director admits to be completely depressed when he wrote it and it certainly shows.

Ill think of some more later when Im not working...

edit-- A tale of 2 sisters is an excellent Korean Movie, though not that unknown.
-- À l'intérieur (Inside) is another good french movie
-- Tenebrae is another good Dario Argento film with the Gobins soundtrack. Awesome.
-- Someone mentioned House, and I have to second this. One of my childhood favs.
-- Any of the Japanese Guinea Pig Horror films are pretty cool too... some obviously better then
others. Some of them are shot to resemble snuff films and hilariously Charlie Sheen watched one
of them (The flower of Flesh and Blood)at a party and mistook it for an actual snuff film. I believe
the film was actually banned for some years after he raised a stink over it...

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Forgot to put this campy classic on my list . . .

The Re-Animator

Re-Animator-2.jpg

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
And a "classic" for all Halloween buffs... Halloween 666 Trailer. The theatrical version (Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers) sucks, but the uncut director's cut movie (Halloween 666: The Origins of Michael Myers) is pretty f'n bad-ass! I love its atmosphere, and try to watch it once every Halloween

This! I still have my bootleg VHS tape. I too try to watch this every Halloween along with the original. This version never did get released on DVD or anything did it?

I see The Beyond has already been mentioned.

I liked [REC]. Haven't seen the sequel yet.

The Descent was really good. Stay away from the sequel.

For a fun/insane movie, I'd go with Wild Zero! LOCK 'N' LOOOLLLLL!!!

Steve

The Wonder Years,
This! I still have my bootleg VHS tape. I too try to watch this every Halloween along with the original. This version never did get released on DVD or anything did it?

It did. Check eBay ;)

I'd list my Halloween movies like such:

Halloween > Halloween H20 > Halloween 6 Producer's Cut > Halloween 2 > Halloween 4 > Halloween 5 > Halloween Resurrection

Don't count 3. As for Zombie's, his first was actually not bad. His second, no f'n comment.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
An eclectic batch I'd recommend:

Dagon(2001)

Cronos(1993)

Lifeforce(1985)

Kwaidan(1964)

The Hunger(1983)

The Asphyx(1973)

Lair of the White Worm(1988)