Vacation in a Pandemic, the thread.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
One of the things I always do when I travel is to check that country's UNESCO list, you can never go wrong with the sites there as they are the best places the country has to offer.

Here's America's World Heritage Sites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Heritage_Sites_in_the_United_States

On a more local level, the list of National Historic Landmarks is also something to consider if you're into historically important buildings/houses/places: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._National_Historic_Landmarks_by_state

If none of those interest you, how about going to a gun range and shooting an elephant gun or something?

Maodammit a year ago today I was scuba diving in Malaysia. Ever since I came back I've been stuck in this maoforsaken city. I have the traveling itch so bad right now. School's on winter break until March 1 and I can't go nowhere, ugh.
Why the fuck cant you leave

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Even traveling within the borders of the CCP?

Have you been to Tibet?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Even traveling within the borders of the CCP?

Yes. The situation is changing daily here. From August to early December, no coronavirus in Beijing...now for the past month whole cities have been locked down. It's a war against the virus over here. Not to say I disagree with it considering the alternative.

Have you been to Tibet?

I have been to Tibetan regions outside of Tibet's modern boundaries, but not Tibet itself. After Xinjiang I think I would feel disgusted and uneasy visiting Tibet proper.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
WARNING: big text incoming, don't let them take my organs

You know how people joke about China, like secret police busting down someone's door because they're using a VPN to get on youtube? That doesn't happen. If there's one thing China gets right, it's not having police intimidate the people. No one is afraid of police here like they are in America. They are not automatically given respect just because they are police.

That said, Xinjiang is absolutely different. It's a police state. Remember that Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode where Bart can read minds and the people are 'think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts'? That's what is going on in Xinjiang.

7dh73litp2a31.jpg

This van followed me for an entire day in one of the cities. When I arrived here, I tried to take a taxi. Taxis wouldn't stop, or if they did they didn't want to stop for too long or even haggle. When I went to the bus station, the guy behind the counter stepped away and called the police. I got a phone call not long after telling me to stay where I was. Police arrived and told me they know my name, my job, where I live in China, etc. We went to the police station where I got grilled on more questions and I was told I can't take the bus or taxi, but I could use a driver that they wanted for 450 kuai (a more fair price would be 300).

The next day I checked out of the hotel, and the concierge offered me a free taxi to the train station. When I told her my train left around midnight and that I'd rather walk around the city, she called the police on the phone and told them I wasn't taking the taxi and wanted to walk. I noticed this van following me after walking half a kilometer. Later when I walked to the old Muslim quarters of the city, two motorcycle cops (both Uyghur - lots of cops are Uyghur, btw) followed me and told me I couldn't take pictures at some places. When I walked to a village, some villagers saw me and we talked for all of 10 seconds until the van pulled up. When I started walking, I noticed the driver got out and went into their home and must have asked them what we talked about. I didn't talk to another Uyghur after that.

At the end of the day, when I saw the van waiting for me after exiting a museum, without looking them in the eye I told them to take me to the train station.

At the train station I met a young policeman who wanted to practice his English, spouting all the usual stuff ("it's for your safety" "you don't understand" etc). The most interesting thing by far is that he said the government forces the Uyghurs to celebrate Spring Festival.

I paid $100 to change my plane ticket to get back to Beijing two days earlier.

7peuc0bvhqa31.jpg

Here are some tanks I saw while leaving a train station. Sorry for potato quality but taking a picture of that would have landed me in trouble if caught. I have such a respect for photojournalists in countries who are not allowed to take pictures.

ca17mjpnht341.jpg

This screen is right next to the main square (and most important mosque in Xinjiang) in Kashgar. Big Xi sees all. Probably the worst thing I saw in Kashgar was just three Uyghur guys, looked to be in their early 20s, just walking and talking on the sidewalk, until a cop stopped them and asked for their ID cards. "Papers, please." Imagine dealing with that shit daily just because you were born the 'wrong' ethnicity.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Grim stuff 'sage. Don't think I would have had the guts to take photos of any kind. I noticed that European leaders are suddenly lining up to condemn China's treatment of the Uighurs(?) now the US rhetoric is shifting.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Damn, thanks for sharing ‘sage.

Stay safe.

Your NG.com’s correspondent in China.

Maybe we can get your a press pass :emb:

Then they’d probably murder you.

How recently were you in Xianjang?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
You know how people joke about China, like secret police busting down someone's door because they're using a VPN to get on youtube? That doesn't happen. If there's one thing China gets right, it's not having police intimidate the people. No one is afraid of police here like they are in America. They are not automatically given respect just because they are police.

That said, Xinjiang is absolutely different. It's a police state. Remember that Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode where Bart can read minds and the people are 'think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts'? That's what is going on in Xinjiang.

7dh73litp2a31.jpg

This van followed me for an entire day in one of the cities. When I arrived here, I tried to take a taxi. Taxis wouldn't stop, or if they did they didn't want to stop for too long or even haggle. When I went to the bus station, the guy behind the counter stepped away and called the police. I got a phone call not long after telling me to stay where I was. Police arrived and told me they know my name, my job, where I live in China, etc. We went to the police station where I got grilled on more questions and I was told I can't take the bus or taxi, but I could use a driver that they wanted for 450 kuai (a more fair price would be 300).

The next day I checked out of the hotel, and the concierge offered me a free taxi to the train station. When I told her my train left around midnight and that I'd rather walk around the city, she called the police on the phone and told them I wasn't taking the taxi and wanted to walk. I noticed this van following me after walking half a kilometer. Later when I walked to the old Muslim quarters of the city, two motorcycle cops (both Uyghur - lots of cops are Uyghur, btw) followed me and told me I couldn't take pictures at some places. When I walked to a village, some villagers saw me and we talked for all of 10 seconds until the van pulled up. When I started walking, I noticed the driver got out and went into their home and must have asked them what we talked about. I didn't talk to another Uyghur after that.

At the end of the day, when I saw the van waiting for me after exiting a museum, without looking them in the eye I told them to take me to the train station.

At the train station I met a young policeman who wanted to practice his English, spouting all the usual stuff ("it's for your safety" "you don't understand" etc). The most interesting thing by far is that he said the government forces the Uyghurs to celebrate Spring Festival.

I paid $100 to change my plane ticket to get back to Beijing two days earlier.

7peuc0bvhqa31.jpg

Here are some tanks I saw while leaving a train station. Sorry for potato quality but taking a picture of that would have landed me in trouble if caught. I have such a respect for photojournalists in countries who are not allowed to take pictures.

ca17mjpnht341.jpg

This screen is right next to the main square (and most important mosque in Xinjiang) in Kashgar. Big Xi sees all. Probably the worst thing I saw in Kashgar was just three Uyghur guys, looked to be in their early 20s, just walking and talking on the sidewalk, until a cop stopped them and asked for their ID cards. "Papers, please." Imagine dealing with that shit daily just because you were born the 'wrong' ethnicity.

I don't know much about you sage but if I was you I would move the hell out of China. My aunt is from Beijing and the stories she tells me from her childhood make china seem like a different planet other then earth. I wish you luck and better fortune in the future.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Holy shit lonesausage I think the average american would have pussied out and moved back to the US a long time ago in your shoes.