Valve announces SteamOS

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Which would be stupid on their part if that is indeed what they are doing. Something like this should be done from a LCD perspective to get an idea of what is needed to make it run smoothly. When all this shakes down it will be interesting to see the grading scale they give game releases to make it easy for people to determine if it will run on their setup.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This demo shows how this controller adds nothing. His controls are so slow and imprecise compared to mouse.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
As a long time PC gamer, I'm willing to give SteamOS a try on my PC(but won't buy a Steam Box). Also, I wouldn't mind tinkering with one of those "gamepads" here & there... but no gamepad can ever fully replace the keyboard/mouse

EDIT: This "Steam Box" thing is obviously geared towards console gamers looking to "upgrade"(but continue using a console-like device). PC gamers are never going to give up standard PC's/laptops & switch over. To them(us) its just another console to possibly have on the side.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
As a long time PC gamer, I'm willing to give SteamOS a try on my PC(but won't buy a Steam Box). Also, I wouldn't mind tinkering with one of those "gamepads" here & there... but no gamepad can ever fully replace the keyboard/mouse

EDIT: This "Steam Box" thing is obviously geared towards console gamers looking to "upgrade"(but continue using a console-like device). PC gamers are never going to give up standard PC's/laptops & switch over. To them(us) its just another console to possibly have on the side.

Yea but at $1000 that is a massive upgrade.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
This demo shows how this controller adds nothing. His controls are so slow and imprecise compared to mouse.

The mouse movements while he was playing Civ5 just seemed so unnatural and wooden. If I am playing Civ5 then I want it to be nice and fluid and not just awkward which is how this came across.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's always a pain to use a pad to play point-'n-click games.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
since they're announcing today, this is the Steam machine I've held and used:

http://kotaku.com/well-learn-more-about-the-piston-living-room-pc-on-m-1414219833

and trust me, it's not worth it.

At all.

Ever.

The price point is too high. it's great for a low to mid range PC, but at 1K, it's too pricy. The GPU blows, the CPU isn't the best.

Lem, I thought it was confirmed months ago that Xi3's Pisstain wasn't Valve's official steam machine. I think they quoted Gayben saying he wants the middle of the road machine to be priced competitively with consoles around $300. I could be wrong though.