VIDEO ADDED! - I'm Making a JAMMA Compatible Arcade Shooter - Come Play It for Free!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Can we see it in action instead of just stil pics? :)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Can we see it in action instead of just stil pics? :)

If you look at the website linked in the first post, you will see a Youtube video.

Good work on this shmup! Hopefully you can come out with a dedicated board for it.

You know, some type of easy to develop for, open source Jamma compatible PCB would be pretty awesome. Cheap, reasonably powerful and accessible to anyone wanting to work with it.

$99 Jamma board with SD card slot for games. Oh man...

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
Good work on this shmup! Hopefully you can come out with a dedicated board for it.

You know, some type of easy to develop for, open source Jamma compatible PCB would be pretty awesome. Cheap, reasonably powerful and accessible to anyone wanting to work with it.

$99 Jamma board with SD card slot for games. Oh man...

That's exactly what we are trying make happen! I thought it would be cool if we could help spark a new round of arcade games by providing a cheap platform to develop for. Sort of a nod to MVS, only with SD slots instead of carts.

I'm dead serious about the hardware stuff though. I'm more of the art director for the project but the whole team is really driven by the hardware idea.

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
I should also mention, the video on the site is pretty old now. We've made a ton of updates since then including adding two new weapons (shotgun and katana), boss fight and updating the graphics pretty significantly.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Looks great, if only I wasn't moving at the end of the month I'd drive to Indy for the demo

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
This looks great, I'll love to see a video of the game running

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Damn, and I thought I was amazed when you made Big Blue. Nice work dude.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's exactly what we are trying make happen! I thought it would be cool if we could help spark a new round of arcade games by providing a cheap platform to develop for. Sort of a nod to MVS, only with SD slots instead of carts.

I'm dead serious about the hardware stuff though. I'm more of the art director for the project but the whole team is really driven by the hardware idea.

Kick starter!!!!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Looks nice, man!

That neo cab in the back, too.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I'm planning on making the trip there. Looking good, dude. :cool:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Sprite work looks excellent. But with a 6 month lead time for 1 stage, a finished product would take at least 3 years, assuming pcb production is not troublesome. That said, it would be great to have more indie arcade developers like NGDev and I hope you guys can follow through.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm always in support of this kind of home brew project, and Jesus, I would throw money at that kind of open source Jamma board like a man possessed.

This is what I desire.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Sprite work looks excellent. But with a 6 month lead time for 1 stage, a finished product would take at least 3 years
Pretty sure they don't have to re-build the game engine from the ground up for each additional stage.
-ud

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Have you guys sent this stuff to any game news sites yet? It would be really good to get together a short text press release and send the video and pictures with it. If you're comfortable mentioning the open source Jamma hardware this early in development as an end goal it will definitely gain you some traction, open source anything is huge.

Either way, this is the kind of story I'm sure a lot of sites would cover, and it would be a great way to increase your exposure.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So what are you guys thinking about for the hardware? Something ARM based, like some kind of beefed up Jamma compatible raspberry Pi? And what kind of power are you guys aiming at? I would think something noticeably more capable than the main classic 2D arcade platforms like the CPS2 and Neo Geo would be essential, that way the new games made on it could set themselves apart visually, even if they're made with a classic aesthetic. Gotta have room for innovation.

Not to mention extra processing power could be used by developers to support things like rollback netcode. Although I suppose that could be past the scope of the original project.

Last edited:

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
So what are you guys thinking about for the hardware? Something ARM based, like some kind of beefed up Jamma compatible raspberry Pi? And what kind of power are you guys aiming at? I would think something noticeably more capable than the main classic 2D arcade platforms like the CPS2 and Neo Geo would be essential, that way the new games made on it could set themselves apart visually, even if they're made with a classic aesthetic. Gotta have room for innovation.

Not to mention extra processing power could be used by developers to support things like rollback netcode. Although I suppose that could be past the scope of the original project.

Right now we are using a board that's very similar to a beefed up raspberry pi that outputs 15khz for arcade monitors, has an audio amp and a jamma edge connector. It currently boots to an OS, but can be set to boot directly to the game. I actually think it's already a pretty elegant solution, but the final product would be more expensive than we would like. We are looking into ways of cutting cost and exploring options. One cool capability we have now is auto update for the game file via wifi and net based high scores.

Again, the Neo community is definitely who I'm trying to make this game for and the support/feedback has been a huge motivator for the project. I very genuinely appreciate it. I wish more of you guys were in the midwest and could make it to the demo. We plan on shipping out some test boards to arcades around the country, so hopefully more of you can play it.

I was just testing our shotgun weapon this morning and I'm still shaky from excitement.

Last edited:

blkdog7

n00b
Dude! That game looks awesome! When your kickstarter goes live, let me know.

I'd love to get a demo board and show it off on my Youtube channel if you're interested.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Dude! That game looks awesome! When your kickstarter goes live, let me know.

I'd love to get a demo board and show it off on my Youtube channel if you're interested.

I read this is John's voice Haha.