VIDEO ADDED! - I'm Making a JAMMA Compatible Arcade Shooter - Come Play It for Free!

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
Also, I nearly forgot...I'd like to get this group's thoughts on something.

If we were to offer a very limited pre-release package for players who want to help play test and provide input for the game using a prototype board, is that something that would peak any of your interest? The prototype board would be around $400 and we would send you software updates regularly until the game was finished. You would have a direct line to the dev team for bugs and overall game play input.

The idea is still really early, but I wanted to gauge interest.

(don't miss the update post on the last page!)

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Hey guys, as promised, I wanted to provide some quick updates to recent progress on SKYCURSER.

Well, right on to the good stuff!

Super System: the game will feature a tiered super attack system akin to SF III: Third Strike. EX and super options are available for each of the three primary weapons: katana, shotgun and vulcan. Meter is built for each weapon as it's used to kill bad guys. Near the meter's halfway point EX attacks become available and when the meter is full, the super is ready. Super's can be combined to create new attacks and a ultra powerful super is available at the cost of all three meters.

Katana deflection: Skilled players can use the katana blade to deflect enemy projectiles and attacks with a well-timed swing. Deflected projectiles will fly back to damage enemies.

New enemies: Each new stage will feature 80-90% new enemy types, but the mutant theme will carry throughout. As each level progresses, so does the mutant technology. By the end of the game the player will be facing off against mutant jet fighters/mechs that are highly sophisticated, agile and powerful.

New levels: We are well into the art and programing for Mission two and three. The final game is planed to have six to eight completely unique stages plus an infinite time attack mode.

Hardware: We have landed on micro pc based system to keep the costs for our end user as low as possible. The final product will be 100% JAMMA compatible, use a solid state drive, standard JAMMA pinout, powered audio and 15Khz video. While the hardware lovers in us wanted to develop for a dedicated rom-based platform, we would have to sell the hardware at a price point well above $1,000, which is over double what we hope to sell the board for.

Release options: We are definitely going to offer "conversion kit" options with move lists, marquee art, posters and so on. Additionally we will be offering a board only version and the dedicated cabinet.

We've already managed to sell a dedicated cabinet to an awesome arcade in the midwest (more on that soon!)

Screens:

Super attack sample.
Super-1.png

Mission 2 sample.
Mission-2-Screen-Thumb.png

100% neo-geo.com exclusive Mission 3 sample (very, very early)
Mission-3.png

Would is also be possible to have a non amped rca out for stereo ?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Pics not showing, website not working. I hope everything goes well for you man.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
That's an awesome helicopter monster!

Edit: "Get to the chomper!"

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
chris, this is looking phenomenal! I'm super jealous of the peeps that already got to play it. I had asked a question about the score earlier in the thread that I think got overlooked and I've been meaning to ask again

Not to be too picky but will there be a general points score available? The kills counter is cool, but does that mean those larger planes which take a while to kill and the bosses only count for one kill each?

Not trying to overstep my bounds and tell you guys how to make your game or anything. Under Defeat came to mind, which does have a standard point score, but also tells you how my (individual) ppl you killed at the end of each mission.

good luck with the Loke Test, this looks fantastic!

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
chris, this is looking phenomenal! I'm super jealous of the peeps that already got to play it. I had asked a question about the score earlier in the thread that I think got overlooked and I've been meaning to ask again

Sorry Mugicha, definitely wasn't trying to avoid the question. Right now the team is really focused on getting the game to be as fun as possible and finishing the initial programing and design for each of the eight missions. After we have a better idea of the flow of the whole game, our attention will shift to the scoring system. We have some strong ideas of how the scoring system will work and we are building the game with those foundations in mind.

Ultimately we want to have scoring that rewards the player for aggression and "style."

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Sorry Mugicha, definitely wasn't trying to avoid the question. Right now the team is really focused on getting the game to be as fun as possible and finishing the initial programing and design for each of the eight missions. After we have a better idea of the flow of the whole game, our attention will shift to the scoring system. We have some strong ideas of how the scoring system will work and we are building the game with those foundations in mind.

Ultimately we want to have scoring that rewards the player for aggression and "style."

thx for the reply, and don't worry I don't think you were trying to dodge the question or anything, I asked right around the time of your location test and you undoubtedly had your hands full. I was just very curious and had been tempted to ask on your FB page as well. What you mentioned sounds great, and I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, best of luck with everything man!

undamned

Pleasure Goal
I'm more pumped for this than any other upcoming game on any other system :D
-ud

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member

If we were to offer a very limited pre-release package for players who want to help play test and provide input for the game using a prototype board, is that something that would peak any of your interest? The prototype board would be around $400 and we would send you software updates regularly until the game was finished. You would have a direct line to the dev team for bugs and overall game play input.

I would totally be interested! I can review, capture, stream live, etc.

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

Definitely interested! I'd love to help support making this a success.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

I'd be interested in this. I am assuming by the date of release of this pre-release package, the hardware will already be final?

Regards.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

Absolutely. Everything youre doing here is amazing and I would gladly help out both with beta testing/ video/written review, playtesting of any kind etc. And at that price point it is absolutely fine for me. Please add me to the list if you end up pursuing this idea!

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

I would be VERY into this. To me this project is easily the most exciting thing going on in the scene and I would love to be a part of it any way I can. This game, and this platform, have an insane amount of potential.

"Shut up and take my money" basically :-P

Also, I noticed that in these most recent screenshots the little doom guy isn't there!

Mission-2-Screen-Thumb.png

I do hope he makes it back in, he was great. If he was covering too much of the screen you might consider placing him in the top left and having him behind the enemies, bullets, and the player, similar to how the life bars in most fighters are, so that he's not hiding anything nasty. You could even put the "Guy" count right on or next to his portrait.

On another note, that canine attack helicopter is the sickest!

Last edited:

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member

I too would like to be on the list of potential BETA testers!!! That would be awesome.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'd like to be a beta tester. I tested a few games prior.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hardware: We have landed on micro pc based system to keep the costs for our end user as low as possible. The final product will be 100% JAMMA compatible, use a solid state drive, standard JAMMA pinout, powered audio and 15Khz video. While the hardware lovers in us wanted to develop for a dedicated rom-based platform, we would have to sell the hardware at a price point well above $1,000, which is over double what we hope to sell the board for.

Very odd idea here guys, you've talked about having an SD card slot that would make this a platform many people could develop games for right? This being an arcade board though, it would need to boot directly into the game on startup, you don't really want clunky menu's messing up that real arcade feel.

The board running off of SSD got me thinking, micro PCIe SSDs are tiny, what if any prospective game manufacturers could simply sell their own SSDs that the user could then swap out, changing not only the game, but the operating system the micro pc is running on, the way the board boots, everything. This would basically give prospective developers the flexibility to do... well... whatever they want! They can be expensive, but you can buy small ones for $20 or so, and most likely much cheaper in bulk.

They would almost be like little HuCards.

photo1-2_zps2de27256.jpg

Of course the alternative could be that you guys have some kind of published software standard that people can use when developing games, it's totally up to you, but leaving it open could take quite a bit go the burden off of your guys in making it compatible.

Also, you guys definitely need to come up with an epic name for the board itself, like The Griffin™ or something. :lolz:

Last edited:

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
Jonmkl, that's pretty much exactly what we are hoping to do. Right now, we plan to have a open source "shell" that the user never really has to muck with that will boot the game directly from SD/USB cards. A big part of what we are trying to do with the project is provide a very easy tool for devs who want to build new arcade games.

We actually have plans to go directly into developing a run n' gun for the hardware after finishing SKYCURSER. I've always loved Shock Troopers and wanted more games with that gameplay style, so I'm pretty confident that will be the next tile we jump on.

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
On the subject, if any of you guys are Linux pros or know anyone who is, we are looking for a bit of support with video drivers and such. We have budget to pay for the assistance.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
We actually have plans to go directly into developing a run n' gun for the hardware after finishing SKYCURSER.

SICK! Now I'm imagining a NGDEV / Team Skycurser arcade console war with their fabled Ikari game haha.

On the subject of releasing games on SD cards, a while back I heard about this copy protection manufacturing service that Transcend does where they can preload data on an SD card in a read only partition similar to a CD or DVD. I guess they manufacture the cards preloaded with the data and they can't be edited, copied, or even reformatted (you know, outside of all the wizards that hang around here). It's like a permanent SD card. There can even be a separate writeable partition on the card for save games and such.

There's a press release about it right here from ages ago. Honestly I don't even know if they still do it, but it might be worth a look.

Last edited:

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Very excited to be put on the pre-order list for SKYCURSER!!!