Viewpoint MVS problem

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I sent the cart off to get it checked out/possibly fixed. So I won't be able to test it out like you mention at the moment.

You don't need the cart to make sure the 'disable bootup hardware test' is not enabled. That will make sure workRAM is tested regardless of what game is in the system at poweron.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
You don't need the cart to make sure the 'disable bootup hardware test' is not enabled. That will make sure workRAM is tested regardless of what game is in the system at poweron.

Ok, will give that a go next time I power up the system.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I think we're going to need an intervention thread one of these days to educate people that alcohol removes surface debris only. It does not remove corrosion, which is the leading problem for contact issues in games. Alcohol is fine for a first step to remove surface debris, but you have to use a quality contact cleaner, such as DeOxit D5, if you want to actually remove corrosion and improve the connection.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Hey bubba. Just noticed this thread of yours. I have an Omega as well and a 6-slot cab. It also spent some time in an mv1b with onboard memory I recently got from NTM. All have the Unibios 3.1 and had zero issues with the cart before Ash bought it from me. This goes for no cheats as well as multiple cheats just to see the end the several times I played it through. "Kickin' Wing" had it before me and I'm pretty certain he had no issues or made any repairs to it either. Not sure why something would crop up on its way from Ash to you but hopefully XX or shadow can sort ya out. Sorry man. :(

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
looks like there might be a problem with your motherboard after all... going to watch this thread closely as I have a 1FT on which the selftest very seldom reports an error in the Work Ram Region after power on (never had a game crash on me though and the error message always disappears after a reset).

All the best to you bubba, hope this gets figured soon.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Hey bubba. Just noticed this thread of yours. I have an Omega as well and a 6-slot cab. It also spent some time in an mv1b with onboard memory I recently got from NTM. All have the Unibios 3.1 and had zero issues with the cart before Ash bought it from me. This goes for no cheats as well as multiple cheats just to see the end the several times I played it through. "Kickin' Wing" had it before me and I'm pretty certain he had no issues or made any repairs to it either. Not sure why something would crop up on its way from Ash to you but hopefully XX or shadow can sort ya out. Sorry man. :(

Thanks for the info on your experiences with the cart when you owned it. I am kinda wishing I'd sent my Omega along with the cart to Quan, just in case it is my system. Rather it be the cart as he's already got it. But whatever it is it would be nice to just get it sorted out. It's a little confusing to me. No one else that previously owned this particular cart has had any issues with it. Which points towards my system as the problem you would think. But none of the other 40 or so games I own and have played have ever had a single issue.

Puzzling... :(

And no, it didn't look to be repaired in any manner. There were some light surface scratches on one of the chips. Contacts were in good shape and not corroded and was fairly clean. Only thing was the boards were coated in some film. I was guessing it was flux from the manufacturing process. And that got cleaned off when I washed the boards fully in alcohol. None of the various attempts to clean the contacts did much as they weren't really dirty.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
How is the board booting if you have made sure to bootup hardware check is not disabled? I am thinking its possible you may have an issue like xsq explains. Though its quite unlikely its something that needs ruling out.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
How is the board booting if you have made sure to bootup hardware check is not disabled? I am thinking its possible you may have an issue like xsq explains. Though its quite unlikely its something that needs ruling out.

I was getting to sleep last night when it was mentioned about the hardware check test. And just got home from work, so haven't had a chance yet to give it a shot and play anything. Will certainly let you know when I give it a try a little later today.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
How is the board booting if you have made sure to bootup hardware check is not disabled?

Bootup check is enabled. Have tried just repeated power cycling of the system. No errors.

Then tried just going through a bunch of my games with a 1 credit play on each. Tried Kizuna Encounter, Metal Slug X, Samurai Showdown 5, Shock Troopers, Blazing Star, Strikers 1945 Plus, Garou: Mark Of The Wolves, Bust-A-Move, and Fatal Fury Special.

No boot errors. No game play errors.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
When you say it is enabled is there an 'X' by the option? If so that means the hardware check disabled, not enabled.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Good good, I just wanted to make sure.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I did try the gamecart CRC check many times during my testing. It passed fine every time I tried it. Though I don't recall if I tried it before or after the error screen & a reset.

What sometimes happens (more with EPROM than mask ROM) is that the CRC check is fine - because certain bit(s) change state after time / temperature etc. I had that with my Metal Slug 5 - it CRC checked completely fine, yet after a minute or two it would cause exceptions, or glitch, or reboot. Once or twice I couldnt even get it to boot, then do a CRC and its fine...

My guess is if other carts are all OK, and the cart edge has been cleaned with eraser and isoprop, then its most likely going to be the P ROMS, or possibly mapping type chips that handle the access to different banks of the P ROM(s) - I've never seen that game so I don't know what chips are on there.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Just one P Rom.

742px-Viewpoint_set1_b1_front.jpg

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The game arrived and I just got a chance to play it. I managed to get the game to crash on a non-vmc omega so it looks like the culprit is pointing toward the cart and not the system. I'll have more time to test it in day or two after I finish up shipping stuff out and programming.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Just for shits n giggles, try it on a board with an OEM Bios.

See what happens.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Just for shits n giggles, try it on a board with an OEM Bios.

See what happens.

I don't really have time for that right now. I played through my personal copy of Viewpoint with a unibios and I went through it completely without incident. So the unibios isn't the problem here.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Did you get the crash to happen at the same address? If so it would point towards the P ROM as at fault I feel given how the game writes to the RAM address in question. Its strange though that it can take time for the error to happen given the section of code in question is actually executing every frame during gameplay as I have already pointed out.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did you get the crash to happen at the same address? If so it would point towards the P ROM as at fault I feel given how the game writes to the RAM address in question. Its strange though that it can take time for the error to happen given the section of code in question is actually executing every frame during gameplay as I have already pointed out.

Maybe a thermal issue with the P-rom?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I got the game to crash at the same address that bubba posted earlier. I also got it to crash at a different address using my personal cart and a bootleg viewpoint I had laying around. Could it have something to do with using cheats? I'm using invincibility and infinite plasma bombs. I used infinite fire bombs as well and it crashed. I remember quarter spamming this game with a friend and it never crashed. I've been using cheats in these playthroughs so I don't have to monitor the game. I've got a turbo controller and I just hold down A+B so the game plays itself.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Cheats are known to cause crashes with this game. Only crashes with no cheats enabled indicate hardware issues somewhere.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If I use the bomb that shoots out a large number of missiles repeatedly in quick succession using the cheat, that pretty much guarantees an error report.