Was playing some Metal Slug 3.......what an awesome game.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Decided to play some metal slug 3 over the weekend and forgot how good it was.

Played it several times going through all the different paths with the yetis and zombies and large flies and piranhas etc. Great playability and great graphics and soundtrack.
Dont know how I had missed the elephant before.
I played it on MVS level 4 and it sure takes time.

The only slight niggle I have is the final mission space section, I think that is a bit longer than needed but it is my fav slug by far.

What is everyones favourite ?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I think the first one is still my favorite. Metal Slug 3 and X are fun as hell but there is just something about the first one that makes me like it the most. I think the one I dislike the most is the fourth one, it just seems so out of place. It also seems way harder than the others in the series.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Only thing good about X is it doesn't have the massive slowdown of 2. Too bad it lost all it's heart and soul in the process. 3 is beautiful, and fun once in a while, but Mission 5 nearly ruins the game for me. It's just too long. As strange as it sounds, I'd prefer if it had ended before you blasted off into space. 1 & 2 are still my favorites in the series.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I just love the original. Many great memories playing it. I think they got it right the first time and every installment since has just gotten worse.

I do like 3 a lot but as many other have mentioned in other countless threads on the same subject - it's a bit bloated.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The odd-numbered entries in the Slug series are the best ones IMO (exactly opposite of the Samurai Shodown series). :D

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I love 3. It's the best of the series and arguably one the best video games ever created.

The complaint that the game is too long is warranted. The programmers saw the writing on the wall and knew SNK's days were numbered. So they went balls-out and threw everything into 3, turning the game into an epic action cartoon. Hell, yes, it's too long but I savor every moment. 3 is a fitting finale for the original Nazca team, and, in my heart, it was the finale for the original Neo-Geo arcade era.

I prefer to play the original Nazca team Slugs, 1-3 and X. 4-6 are somewhat fun but I consider them to be inferior games.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
Slug 3 most certainly my favorite of the series. There is more detail in that game than any other Neo game. I love how long the last level is! it feels like the last level to the whole Metal Slug series, which I'm sure was the intention with the bankruptcy happening. 4,5, and 6 all feel generic after 1-3.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That last level of MS3 felt like the combined length of all the previous levels up to that point.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
That last level of MS3 felt like the combined length of all the previous levels up to that point.

Yep, which makes it all the more ridiculous. There's like 6 bosses in the last level.

Hadn't really considered what Yagyu had to add, but he is probably right. They must have wanted to go out with a bang.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I`ve only really played MS3 and MSX most recently so to compare I wanna say MS3 is much harder and longer of a game to get through. Doesn`t detract from the experience though if you`re willing to put in the time...I hope to own MS2 sooner rather than later as well :)

I'm big in to 3. It also happens to be my brother's "favourite arcade game EVER!!!!ONEONEONE!11"

I bought a cabinet at auction a few years ago (conversion with a one slot) with 4 in it. I hadn't played 4 but I bought it based on how awesome 3 was... I was disappointed. Yeah the later games were lacking a certain magic. Unfortunately, 4 is still the only MS in my collection. Strange, 3 always seems so pricey.

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
Only thing good about X is it doesn't have the massive slowdown of 2. Too bad it lost all it's heart and soul in the process.

So true. I only realised this after buying both of them and quickly sold X afterwards. I think 2 really is a work of art; the pacing and setting of it are just perfect. It's such a shame that the slowdown cripples it.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 3 is one of the best Neo Geo games of all time. Who cares if the final mission is too long, it's a great game and a testament to the awesomeness SNK and Nazca could put out. Like that one guy said, it was one of SNK Corp's last games. Why wouldn't anyone want it to be the biggest and best Metal Slug?

I'm not a fan of Metal Slug 1, it's aged the worst out of all the Slugs. My biggest complaint is the Heavy Machinegun. Why is it so hard to aim the gun up and down while shooting? It's impossible to diagonally shoot with it, making the game significantly more frustrating to play. I also don't like the lack of variety. Not enough weapons, vehicles, things to shoot and locales. I guess I'm not a big fan of World War II, especially compared to 80s action movie references (2) and sheer awesomeness (3).

Lee Gray

The animation of the elephant is stunning.
I love how you can pick up the semi bosses machine gun too and use it once you defeat him.

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I prefer Metal Slug 1 and Metal Slug 4. I like the dual guns.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I started a thread a while back that we should start looking into "fixing" Slug 2. I would be a costly venture but I'm sure if we start a Kickstarter plan for SMKDan, it might be able to be done. I would be willing to donate some MVS carts too.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I started a thread a while back that we should start looking into "fixing" Slug 2. I would be a costly venture but I'm sure if we start a Kickstarter plan for SMKDan, it might be able to be done. I would be willing to donate some MVS carts too.

Wasn't Slug 2 "fixed" with Metal Slug X???

Trying to "fix" Slug 2 would be a total waste of time and money. I also think it's pretty awesome as it is.

OT... I remember the first time I played MS3, was totally blown away by the whole thing... however, over time I just don't think it's as good as X or 1. The levels are a tad too long, especially the final level... that should have really been split into two. Nevertheless, it is a great game still, and like AOF3, is a superb example of what the Neo Geo hardware is capable of. It's just a shame that Slug 3 was followed by a complete turd of a game in MS4.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 4 might be disappointing in the series, but it's still Metal Slug, it's hard for a Metal Slug game to not be fun.

Except for Metal Slug Advance, that game sucks and isn't Metal Slug.

Sunken

n00b
For me, that's 3>X>1>5>4

I don't count Metal Slug 2 as it's similar to Metal Slug X! ;)

Lee Gray

I had to double back and make sure Lee hadn't started this topic in 1999.

I did actually search for a recent thread about the game to post in but there was nothing really relevant before 2010 posted.
I usually play it till level 4 then quit now as dont really find the 5th level enjoyable enough to sit through it just so i can see the gun drop on the head of the sea monster at the end.

Its a pity really they never made much effort with decent endings in these slug games to make it worth while to play to the end.

launchpad

n00b
MS3

Metal Slug 3 was simply amazing, and will always be my favorite. I played the original MS at a local gas station and thought it was awesome around 96/97ish. Everyone's minds were on Playstation, N64, and the likes at the time, and I guess we didnt realize how great MS was then. A few years later a friend had X on the original Playstation. We marveled at how great that was and how cool it would be to play the arcade version. Sometime around 2002 oe 2003, I picked up a 4 slot from a local arcade operator that had removed it from his route. I bought Metal Slug 3 off eBay based on how awesome X was. My friends and I were BLOWN away! We couldn't believe the Neo Geo was capable of all that. I'd say we played the Zombie scene the most, but we enjoyed every moment of the entire game. Including the blistering button mashing that is the last level.

We played so much, to this day, I can yell "SUPER GRENADE" randomly amongst certain friends, and the instant reply is a loud pitched "THANK YOU!" Ah, great memories of MS3...