WAV to MP3 conversion

TerryMasters

Galford's Armourer
lame -V0 inputfile outputfile

It's 320k VBR w/ psychoacoustic processing. Sounds as good as 320k but w/o the wasted space. This is 2009, no one uses CBR anymore.

Thanks for this. I've been using 3.90.3 for the longest time now. I don't even know if this option is available in that version, but it sounds like a great reason to update.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Screw this, I'm going to install iTunes, and I HATE iTunes.

At least it runs on Vista and sounds like it is going to do what I need without hours of messing around first.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
How do I get the WAV files into CDex if they aren't on a CD? There doesn't seem to be an option to import from HDD, just CD drive.

I knew this was going to be a pain in the ass.

Is there not just a GUI app where I can select multiple WAV files stored on my HDD, and say convert all these to MP3?

Button over on the right.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Excellent. I'm now playing my original MiniDisc recording on my PSP, which was my primary goal.

Bit of an arsey process, but I only plan on converting them the one time. I have a lot of discs though..

As for conversion to other formats, I'll still have the hefty WAV files. SonicStage can convert to ATRAC and ATRAC Plus easily. How to they fare?

Note - perfect. Even though the mix is segmented (track marked) per track, and therefore multiple files, the PSP just plays them seamlessly together, so it just sounds like one continuous mix.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Seriously, MP3 has such a bad rap because of all the horrible encoders going around. Companies are licensing the Xing one or a descendant and I have no idea what iTunes is using but it's almost as though they're intentionally making the MP3 sound worse so you'll use AAC. If people would just use LAME (with a frontend if you really want one), most of the complaints would go away.
No problems whatsoever with it. I needed a quick way to convert hundreds of CDs for J-Fan radio, which took months. It worked great for that. The only people who will notice a difference with this encoder are extreme audiophiles with premium equipment, and those people should be listening to the original CD, not an mp3.