What anime are you watching?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Been going through Shangri-La Frontier and been frothing at the mouth for Dungeon Meshi to premier on Netlfix soon.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Finished up season 2 of Goblin Slayer and Spy Family. Spy Family is almost cloyingly wholesome (and it suffers from anime/manga's usual narrative running-in-place) but it's still fun to have a superpowered family all trying to hide their secrets from each other. Goblin Slayer definitely treads water as well but that show at least feels like the characters evolve over time.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Finished up season 2 of Goblin Slayer and Spy Family. Spy Family is almost cloyingly wholesome (and it suffers from anime/manga's usual narrative running-in-place) but it's still fun to have a superpowered family all trying to hide their secrets from each other. Goblin Slayer definitely treads water as well but that show at least feels like the characters evolve over time.
Spy x family season 1 was better to me, Is season 2 over? I couldn’t tell, Hulu said the last ep for me was onDec 24 but the season seems a lot less episodes than the first season

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Ralfakick said he watched the new Ghibli film called The Boy and the Heron, which I didn't even know existed. Thinking about it, ever since Arrietty came out in 2010 I haven't kept up with Ghibli, and the only one released since then that I did watch was The Wind Rises, which I didn't like and have controversial opinions about (lmbo).

Considering whenever Ghibli comes up, people only talk about their movies from Howl's Moving Castle and before (so pre-2004 stuff), I think it's fair to say Tales from Earthsea is when Ghibli shat the bed. Ponyo rebounded and people liked that but I never hear people talk about the movies they've made in the past 13 years. Here they are:

-Arrietty (2010)
-From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
-The Wind Rises (2013)
-The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013)
-When Marnie Was There (2014)
-The Red Turtle (2016)
-Earwig and the Witch (2020, and lmbo a 3D Ghibli made for TV film holy shit wtf were they thinking)
-The Boy and the Heron (2023)

I couldn't tell you anything about any of those movies aside from The Wind Rises, and again, I never hear people talk about these on the internet either - it's always Spirited Away or Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies (fucking normies don't care about Porco Rosso).

Anyways, how about you guys? Do you have any opinion on the movies I've listed? I think it's fair to say we all like Ghibli but in hindsight from the past 13 years or so a Ghibli movie hasn't wowed us. I did watch Ponyo in the theater, had to drive like an hour away to a city that had it, but it didn't do much for me. Killer animation but wasn't for me.
A lot of those were Ghibli movies but not Miyazaki movies I think that’s why they had less fanfare. Wind rises was good I have Poppy Hill but haven’t watched it more than once. Arrietty was based on another children’s book.

On a side note one of my exs I used to buy her daughter Ghibli movies and growing up she became an anime fan because of it.

Watched this on Saturday

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I watched Cyber City Oedo 808 a few nights ago.
Loved it, don't really like anime either. Love cyberpunk though.
Feel like it's a proto Cowboy Bebop
Shame it only went 3 episode, introduced the main characters with a story episode each and that was it.
Sengoku is like Spike, Gogul/Goggles is Jet and Benton/Merill is a crossdressing Faye.
Or maybe they made two characters out of him Edward & Faye.

Neo-Geo related:

Cyberlip1.jpg

Not sure it it has any thing to do with the other they both came out in 1990.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Spy x family season 1 was better to me, Is season 2 over? I couldn’t tell, Hulu said the last ep for me was onDec 24 but the season seems a lot less episodes than the first season

Yeah, Dec 24th was the last episode. No announcement of more yet but the show is ridiculously popular (and there's more manga to borrow from) so I imagine there will be more eventually.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Dungeon Meshi premiered on Netflix and the first episode was solid, but they're doing that annoying episodic release schedule so that is the only episode up.

Also caught up with Jujutsu Kaisen and there is some absolutely insane animation going on there--top-shelf stuff for sure.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member

KAMEN RIDER x SUPER SENTAI LIVE & MUSIC SHOW 2023​

Live for the next 11 hours only

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Pretty pumped for this one.

The manga was one of the most out-of-nowhere awesome reads for me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Been watching a bunch of stuff at night while I draw lately.

Space Adventure Cobra
Cat's Eye
City Hunter TV series

City Hunter has become one of my favorites recently.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Any thoughts on Attack on Titan?This was pretty big when it was on, but I never got around to it. The worldbuilding seems cool though.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Any thoughts on Attack on Titan?This was pretty big when it was on, but I never got around to it. The worldbuilding seems cool though.
Interesting you mention that; I was already about to post this as my most recent anime.

I've only finished the first season and just watched the first episode of the second (the titan it just introduced is unsettling and I can't wait to see where it goes with him). I knew going in that it wasn't exactly an uplifting series, and the first 5-6 episodes were a bit of a slog with numerous characters introduced and too much angst for my liking in general.

However, it *really* takes off about halfway through the first season. I've already been exposed to a couple of spoilers, but I'm still enjoying the ride to see how things develop. There is indeed a lot of world-building going on and the art/animation in general is beautiful. You might like it; if you can get through the first initial episodes it really picks up steam. Great mix of drama/action/mystery.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
屏幕截图 2024-03-21 160734.png

One of my favorite moments in any show, not just anime. The guy looked for his girl for 108 episodes, yadda yadda yadda ends up in a fight to the death with his big brother...and in this moment we see the hero, who is basically a god, get slapped by his older brother, who is also basically a god, to go see his girl he has been searching for for so long. This single moment says so much to me.

I know most fans are more into the, "Of this life, I have no regrets!" moment when Raoh offs himself into the sky, but this backslap from one big brother to his little brother telling him to go to his woman says so much.

I don't know what it is with me and Fist of the North Star. I used to watch this on Showtime Beyond about 23 years ago, and it was utterly ridiculous and I thought it was retarded. Maybe it is! Regardless, the story, the lore, the characters, the passion is there. I don't see myself ever going through 108 episodes again, but going back to this moment is just fine.

I actually never watched Hokuto no Ken 2. I suppose for the same reason I don't care to watch Dragonball Super.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
View attachment 72840

One of my favorite moments in any show, not just anime. The guy looked for his girl for 108 episodes, yadda yadda yadda ends up in a fight to the death with his big brother...and in this moment we see the hero, who is basically a god, get slapped by his older brother, who is also basically a god, to go see his girl he has been searching for for so long. This single moment says so much to me.

I know most fans are more into the, "Of this life, I have no regrets!" moment when Raoh offs himself into the sky, but this backslap from one big brother to his little brother telling him to go to his woman says so much.

I don't know what it is with me and Fist of the North Star. I used to watch this on Showtime Beyond about 23 years ago, and it was utterly ridiculous and I thought it was retarded. Maybe it is! Regardless, the story, the lore, the characters, the passion is there. I don't see myself ever going through 108 episodes again, but going back to this moment is just fine.

I actually never watched Hokuto no Ken 2. I suppose for the same reason I don't care to watch Dragonball Super.
One of the greatest manga of all time.
Hopefully, the new adaptation will be on point.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I'm further into Attack on Titan now, I think episode 51 or 52, where they've returned to their hometown that was taken over by the titans in the very first episode. I had to pry myself away from the television last night at 2am because this portion of the story has been an absolute banger.

The spoilers I received were that the last episode wasn't well-received, a main character essentially becomes a villain, and that another turns into a colossal titan. I can see the reasons behind the last 2, and as for the last episode not going over well...that describes nearly every anime ever made with the exception of FMA: Brotherhood.

What I'm loving is that this is a perfect series to rewatch (in this case, it'll be the sub since I'm watching dubbed) because there are so many cues that are revealed after the fact for why characters act the way they do. Foreshadowing that comes about only during flashbacks is common here. It's not an ideal show to binge watch, since there are episodes which reveal a TON of new info at any given moment with filler episodes virtually non-existent. This is my favorite series since FMA: Brotherhood; there are some similar tropes (death of mother sparks main character's motivation, mysterious father, military intrigue) but on a darker scale with far less humor. There was clearly a ton of time put into the world-building and lore.

I've been thinking of watching Evangelion on the side but have heard a lot of mixed feelings on that one.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've been thinking of watching Evangelion on the side but have heard a lot of mixed feelings on that one.
It's definitely worth watching, it's a very important series but it's very much a product of it's time and creator. It's also one of those series the fans are so fanatical about that it's turned a lot of people off. It's one of those things that you kind of need to watch just as a pop culture/anime piece of history, it's so influential and highly referenced.

It is extremely flawed, often on purpose and while I don't love it I am glad I watched it but have little interest in ever re-watching it.