What are you listening to at the moment?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Whenever I hear Mastodon mentioned, this is still the sound cemented in my mind.

I can't say I was ever a true fan of their old stuff, but I never really heard any of their music after they got "big" until recently. Whichever album I heard, the vocals sounded like a D-list Ozzy Osbourne. I got a kick out of the singing, but it's still not my thing. I'll take your word for it that their typical sound falls into whatever genre Monstro is though.

The song you linked, kinda of, just slightly, reminds me of the band Into Another.

Oh, and Mastodon pretty much formed because the rhythm section of the band were hired guns to play on this Today is the Day album.

It's kind of funny how many acts that worked with Steve Austin (be it playing with him, or having him engineer their albums) went on to become mainstream success stories.

That last band sounds awesome, thanks mane.
And that Mastodon track is tight. I just don't like their melodies or arrangements. I feel its like you have to catch their drift else they're hard to enjoy much.
I saw them live once at a festival and their energy was amazing, Great stage presence. The music does nothing for me. Slayer was there and fuck me sideways, they smashed it. Corey Taylor was there with his other crappier band and he kind of needs to be wrestling on WCW. Manson was drunk or some shit. Very lame.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That last band sounds awesome, thanks mane.
And that Mastodon track is tight. I just don't like their melodies or arrangements. I feel its like you have to catch their drift else they're hard to enjoy much.
I saw them live once at a festival and their energy was amazing, Great stage presence. The music does nothing for me. Slayer was there and fuck me sideways, they smashed it. Corey Taylor was there with his other crappier band and he kind of needs to be wrestling on WCW. Manson was drunk or some shit. Very lame.

WCW hehe. Sounds like a, uh, strange festival. I wish I could have seen Marilyn Manson between 1994-1997. I saw them live for the first time when they opened for the Smashing Pumpkins about 5 years ago. It didn't do much for me. Maybe he was drunk then?

But yeah, if you enjoy that Today Is The Day song, I very much recommend starting with albums that came before that one (mainly Temple of The Morning Star and Willpower, self titled too).

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
WCW hehe. Sounds like a, uh, strange festival. I wish I could have seen Marilyn Manson between 1994-1997. I saw them live for the first time when they opened for the Smashing Pumpkins about 5 years ago. It didn't do much for me. Maybe he was drunk then?

But yeah, if you enjoy that Today Is The Day song, I very much recommend starting with albums that came before that one (mainly Temple of The Morning Star and Willpower, self titled too).

Sweet will check it out, cheers

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
GHQaA0W.jpg

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

New Deftones material
If the album ends up sounding like this I am stoked, to me this song is as good as anything they've put out in the past 20 years, Rosemary was the last high calibre single they put out previously. To me their last album was a misstep, maybe their weakest ever.
I'm amazed they can still sound so fresh and vital after all this time.

Shmuppy

Banned
Can't stop listening to this bass solo (Thunder Blade) from S.S.T. It starts @1:07:33

When a bass player untune and re-tune his instrument while playing for the fun of it, yeah SEGA!

Puhh, and this one is sooo. Never heard tool's music. Then someone recommended Danny Carey to me, and YES now I'm a tool fan. Great band, great message and tight as fuck live.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Can't stop listening to this bass solo (Thunder Blade) from S.S.T. It starts @1:07:33

When a bass player untune and re-tune his instrument while playing for the fun of it, yeah SEGA!

Puhh, and this one is sooo. Never heard tool's music. Then someone recommended Danny Carey to me, and YES now I'm a tool fan. Great band, great message and tight as fuck live.

Love SST band's slap bass there. Here's some of the members playing something for Vapor Trail:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Whoaaaa, did you just get these? Very very nice!

Yeah, the S-E Chill Out album came out on 8/19. Album is up on Youtube for those inclined to listen there:

Wasn't really sure what I was getting with that Valis album. It's the OG computer OSTs. Disc 3 is very good and is the FM soundtrack to Valis 2.

Shmuppy

Banned

Sven our godfather of Techno, after Kraftwerk of course who paved the way for Techno.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist

From my days as a beatmania IIDX freak. Before I stopped playing I was approaching the hardest difficulties of the game.