What companies do you expect to go bust in 2017

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Every year, companies either go boom or bust. Sports Authority was the big one that went bye bye in 2016. I heard on the radio that Sears sold off it's Craftsman tool line to Black and Decker to stay afloat on top of it closing 100 some odd sears/kmart stores. I'm calling bets on Sears/kmart to close the rest of their stores by Summer 2018 if not sooner. Anyone have other expectations on big company closures for this year.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Sprint.

SGI (who made the graphics processors for N64).

Lots of agriculture businesses.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
SGI (who made the graphics processors for N64).

That SGI (Silicon Graphics) went under in 2008. Silicon Graphics International used to be called Rackable, which got acquired by HP.

I'd also say their contribution to N64 is overshadowed by the fact that they invented OpenGL.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Old SGI campus is now (and has been) Google main campus

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
it was kinda strange seeing Sports Authority close up shop, they've been around forever

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
sears/ kmart. constantly closing stores.

macys- same reason.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The JCPenny's at Exton Square Mall was turned into a Round 1 recently.

Kind of a trip to see an anchor store get repurposed like that.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
brick and mortar stores in general.
Best Buy is hanging in there because they have an online presence. i dont think they will last long. their stores are already like outlet stores.

Anchor stores in Malls. Malls in general are kinda pointless now.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Kmart, Sears and RadioShack may go bust. Especially RadioShack.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
brick and mortar stores in general.
Best Buy is hanging in there because they have an online presence. i dont think they will last long. their stores are already like outlet stores.

Anchor stores in Malls. Malls in general are kinda pointless now.

Amazon yanked the rug out from under them, then the recession, and they reacted by going generic with a little bit of everything, which is why they are where they are now. But Amazon did it by hemorrhaging money.

It will only shrink to a point, brick and mortar have their uses, prada, apple, microsoft, people need their places of worship.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Sears. Sad, but likely.

Do you guys remember when there were those little stands in Sears stores that sold candy and popcorn? That popcorn was so salty that my lips would start to crack when I ate it, but fuck was it good.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Sears and Kmart for sure. I think there's maybe 2 Kmarts in the whole state of MN, and the one I went to in the ghetto part of town stopped selling games.

I worked for Sears seasonally around Christmas in 2013. They treat their employees like shit. All they cared about was pimping credit card sign ups. They didn't even tell me that I was let go - they just didn't schedule me hours.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Sears. Sad, but likely.

Do you guys remember when there were those little stands in Sears stores that sold candy and popcorn? That popcorn was so salty that my lips would start to crack when I ate it, but fuck was it good.
I don't that I ever saw that my Sears' was basic af

fake

15 Year Member
Sears. Sad, but likely.

I don't think any of the 10 Sears near me had that. There was one Home Depot that had popcorn carts outside though. Fuck I want some real popcorn.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The candy and popcorn deals were when I was like 6 or 7 years old, so early 80's.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Capcom
SQUARE ENIX
Midway (for making Mortal Kombat )

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Sears. Sad, but likely.

I certainly do. The Sears's stores around here stopped doing that by the late 80's early 90's tho.

I also remember Toys'R Us and the video game section. Everyone that I ever walked into would have an aisle where they would have the systems playing on display behind glass. The cage at the front of the store was awesome - if you were going to the cage after you paid, you KNOW you were getting something good.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I also remember Toys'R Us and the video game section. Everyone that I ever walked into would have an aisle where they would have the systems playing on display behind glass. The cage at the front of the store was awesome - if you were going to the cage after you paid, you KNOW you were getting something good.

The feeling of going to TRU as a kid and just being surrounded by these seemingly unending, towering walls full of games (well, the game slips) is something that I'll never feel again.