What gaming "boat" did you miss?

SoloFenris

Sakura's Bank Manager
I think it has happened to everyone at some point. There is a game, or series of games, that everyone seems to love but for some reason or another you never really got on board and now you kind of regret it. For me it was the Virtua Fighter series. I remember playing the first one for about ten minutes before returning to the KOF '94 machine. Then the second one came out and everyone was raving about it. So I found a machine, grabbed the stick, and took control of characters that felt like they were walking in wet cement. Needless to say I didn't play it anymore but now when I watch people play VF Final Tuned I think "Damn, if only I had stuck with it." What about you?

Jeff

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Grand Theft Auto, I seriously don't get it.

I have a friend who loves fighting games, but for some reason he hates Third Strike and most Capcom fighters - poor him.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I can't say I regret it to much, but a lot of first person shooters fall into this category for me. It takes something great to hold my interest, like Half Life 2. I can't stand to play a mediocre FPS. Like for example, Halo. I love Halo's multiplayer, but the single player campaigns in both games are incredibly boring.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
definitely missed the FPS boat. Never got into it. It always seemed aesthetically displeasing.

And online RPG gaming. Just couldn't bother.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
anything with the virtual boy.
hahahah.
well. actually it would be the metal gear boat.
i never liked it on the nes.
I loved snakes revenge which don't tell that to kojima lovers since
he dismissed the game since he had no involvement.
and i was one of the first to play solid since my friend owned an import shop.
it was neat but nothing i can't live without.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
wasabi said:
definitely missed the FPS boat. Never got into it. It always seemed aesthetically displeasing.

Same here.

neo>all

Super nO0b
wasabi said:

X2

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I'd have to say the whole FPS scene myself. I never saw what the big deal was with DOOM back when that was state-of-the-art, and I never really cared for where that genre went after it. There are exceptions of course, {currently enjoying Perfect Dark actually} and when I do play them it's for the single player campaigns mostly, as the whole online/LAN party things with 10 + ppl four hours upon hours on end just never made much of an impact. An hour and a half at best, then I was off to do something else. Which is the reason I still don't see what the fuss is with HALO as a franchise overall. I've played it and just didn't care for yet another Humans vs. Aliens schtig, but I did love the JIN-ROH looking KILLZONE despite it's many flaws, primarily for it's rich enviornment and it's politically charged overtones between two strains of the human race.

The other "Boat" I missed was truly getting into the zone with VS. FIGHTING games of any kind be it 2-D or 3-D. I mean, yeah... I played them pretty well, enough to hold my own for a bit but never to the point where I studied up on moves and counter moves etc. etc. I just played them for fun. Now I actually take time to TRY, the key word being TRY to see the more dynamic aspect of the Vs. Fighting genre, but still treat it as a genre I like to play to let off some steam and have fun but know I'll never be some ubber cool dude who can whip anyone's ass on one whole half of the planet. To this day my genres are still all about RGS, Shooters, Action/Platforming, Gun Games in that order.

MERCENARY X99

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
the last years of SNK.

we stopped buying AES stuff since KOF96 was released (we never bought that). therefore, we missed games like Last Blade, MotW, KOF2000 .... etc.

I wish we bought these back in the days and played the hell out of them back then. alas, I don't have any Neo partner right now (my brothers quit playing games ..... almost)

X

Y,
MMORPG's dont get it. Maybe because I usually dont play games more then an hour a day.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
The racing genre, it puts me to sleep.

MMORPG, never played but I want to, I'm just waiting for consoles to catch up in the genre. Maybe in the next generation?

Sims, wha?! zzzzzzzzzzzz....

barf

Maxima's Barber
MMORPG too, i find it a waste of time (specialy since a relative left his studies to play everquest...)

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
anything on the PS2 that hasn't been ported i've missed teh boat on, cause i've never owned a PS2. the only PS2 game i ever played through was the first Socom online.

Screw any mainstream franchise. Ridge Racer, Grand Turismo, GTA 3+, Ratchet, Rex, I really never gave a shit about. Its eye candy to me and nothing else. Maybe I'm just getting older. Only Nintendo's next gen works have I given respect to, with the exception of Metroid Prime. Shoulda stayed 2D forever.

I do regret assuming that the NEO was dead during its finest years between 1995-2000. If I knew they were still around back then I would have bought up all the best games of the day.

Freelancer

Banned
Mushiki said:
Grand Theft Auto, I seriously don't get it.

I'd have to agree there.
I don't feel like I'm really missing out on anything as far as GTA is concerned to begin with.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The Post 1997 FPS boat.....

I loved playing Doom and Duke Nukem on a LAN....

But Golden Eye? WTF?
Four people crowded around a screen with Compases and the abitlity to see your screen. Teh Suck. Plus I like the controlls of the Duke games (tap to jump, hold to croutch) shit like that. I also like auto aim.... Seems LIke goldeneye requires less taticle skill and more reflexes.

Same goes for Unreal/Quake3. It's just running around and shooting. Back in the Duke days, you had traps/pipe bombs. RPG Battles were a thing of legend. Jet Packs owned. Find a nice hiding spot and shoot out the window, or return fire with a RPG into the roon.

FPS's today don't have that fun factor. It used to be a chess match, outwit, out skill. Now it's just runnig around shooting.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
the xbox and ps2

online gaming to some extent, but I was doing it 8 years ago with quake. . so meh.

barf

Maxima's Barber
norton9478 said:
The Post 1997 FPS boat.....

I loved playing Doom and Duke Nukem on a LAN....

But Golden Eye? WTF?
Four people crowded around a screen with Compases and the abitlity to see your screen. Teh Suck. Plus I like the controlls of the Duke games (tap to jump, hold to croutch) shit like that. I also like auto aim.... Seems LIke goldeneye requires less taticle skill and more reflexes.

Same goes for Unreal/Quake3. It's just running around and shooting. Back in the Duke days, you had traps/pipe bombs. RPG Battles were a thing of legend. Jet Packs owned. Find a nice hiding spot and shoot out the window, or return fire with a RPG into the roon.

FPS's today don't have that fun factor. It used to be a chess match, outwit, out skill. Now it's just runnig around shooting.

That and Blood...
My best lans at home ... Duke, Quake, Diablo....

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I didn't put nearly enough time into the Virtua Fighter series, which I sort of regret.

I also didn't put hardly any time into MMORPG, which I don't really regret at all.

4lom

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Online games. I tried some with the DC and I couldn't get into it. Even with Xbox and PS2, I just don't see a need.

:oh_no:

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
GoldenEye Single-player. I played the multi-player plenty of times over friends house's, but at the time I didn't own a N64, and I wanted to experience the single-player. Even when I eventually got a N64 I never bought the game.

I just recently picked up Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but it's gonna be a while before I can play them, cause I've got soo many games on the current gen of systems that I'm trying to get through.