What has made you a grumpy gamer?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
LWK stated in a thread that the death of Neo Geo has made us grumpy gamers. While I concede most of us are grumpy gamers, I don't think it's that simple For me:

1. The transition to 3d IMO made games less about fun and more about graphics

2. Coming off the high of the PS3/360 era where titles I want to play were constantly being made on the cheap now coming to an era where microtranactions rule how games are made now.

3. Online gaming wise most people online went from mostly casual gamers to mostly pro gaming assholes because anybody with the ability to stream thinks being good at a game translates to making money eventually.

What's yours?

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think the difference between metal gear solid 1/2/3/4 and the horrible piece of crap 5 is a fairly good way to explain how I feel. Who seriously wants to farm for items hours on end only to have 2 or 3 ways (in a massive map) to enter a base. :thevt:

In game purchases, DLC which would otherwise be called base content, constant patches because the games are broken, in game skins going bananas which used to be fan made mods, continual reliance on sequels, lack of risk taking in the industry.. the fucking list never ends.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the fact that i no longer have the enthusiasm i once had for games makes me grumpy. so many good games, yet i don't want to play any of them.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I was born grumpy...

xROTx

PS. I hate the way Arcades have turned into one arm bandit gambling machines...

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Too much focus on online aspects of games, and less on single player. I don't want to go online and get beaten by 12 year olds, while they shout abuse. I just want to enjoy a game on my own. I feel like I pay 」40 for a new game and miss out on 2/3 of the content these days.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Season Passes can go to hell. Sucks to spend $60, open the case, then see an ad suggesting I pay another $24.95 for a batch of mystery content.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Death of arcades

What he said.

Like most have said, DLC, pay to win, "unlockable content", trophies, constant updates, over production of games....pretty much killed the scene for me.

Lastly...and this is to be expected, but I don't like games being mainstream. I liked it better when it was just "us" nerds playing games. Everybody and their dog claiming to be "gamorz" got old quick.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Super slow tutorials. If I can't make some progress towards an objective with the main gameplay within a couple of minutes I get an irrational hate for that game.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
DLC - every game has it now, hardly any deserve it

Games shipping broken - Lol at those 15gb + Day 1 Patches

Eco Cases - Fuck that shit. Wii U cases are especially bad. PS4 cases might not be eco, but they are awful.

No more manuals - As if the companies give a shit about saving trees. A part of me died when even Nintendo went paperless.

Season Pass, Expansion Pass, Gold Editions, Deluxe Editions etc - CoD was always $50 for all the DLC, but a few years ago this Season Pass bullshit was like $15 tops. Now EA, Ubisoft etc all want $$50+. Games like Rainbow Six Siege and Evolve that have annual jewish passes are beyond insulting.

Collector's Editions - Does every big game now need a $200 CE w/ some lame statue?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Capcom killed mega Man.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
what makes me grumpy is the fact fighting games are becoming a competitive sport. Ppl take it way too seriously and only wanna pick the characters that have more a chance of winning. Takes the fun out of the game.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
They're selling collectors editions of games now without the game. You read that right.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The games nowadays are not as fun as they used to if you ask me. Ofcourse there are good games these days like Bloodborne.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
what makes me grumpy is the fact fighting games are becoming a competitive sport. Ppl take it way too seriously and only wanna pick the characters that have more a chance of winning. Takes the fun out of the game.

I'd argue that the whole e-sport push dramatically shifted the core mechanics and focus of a lot of fighting franchises. However, I feel that since the core of fighting games has traditionally always been the PvP aspect, the game genre always has and will attract hyper competitive players.

The whole "Go pro or go home" mantra has made much of the fanbase extremely toxic though.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Sega stopped making consoles.
From the SMS to Dreamcast, I always found something great to play.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Pre-order bs, dlc, and e sports have ruined gaming.