Whats the fastest way to make the 360 get the red ring?

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
The other day while playing condemned my 360 shit itself. It no longer displays any video, you can only hear the audio through the tv. And as you know, microsoft's 3 year warranty only covers Red Ring of Death errors. There's no way I'm paying $150+ to fix this (this is my 5th 360). I wrapped it in a towel to try to make it overheat and die but it just made the system hot to touch but made no red rings.

Would just telling them over the phone that it red ringed and send it in anyway work? Or do they test it? Since sometimes red rings fix themselves out of nowhere maybe they don't check.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Take a long, thin metal object (big paperclip, maybe) and jam it through the exhaust holes. Turn the 360 on, run the object across the mainboard until it blows. Don't scrape or otherwise physically damage the board, just prod around until you short something.

Allien133

Astra Superstar
when you say 3 year waranty for the RROD, would that still hold true for my launch system, or only on a newly bought system.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Allien133 said:
when you say 3 year waranty for the RROD, would that still hold true for my launch system, or only on a newly bought system.

all

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
The Drizzle said:
Would just telling them over the phone that it red ringed and send it in anyway work? Or do they test it? Since sometimes red rings fix themselves out of nowhere maybe they don't check.

From what I've read, they'd probably just call you and say it's $150 to fix once they have it in hand and it's not red ringing.

RROD instructions via 68k: link (basically what SpamYouToDeath posted, just in more detail).

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Best thing I can tell you to do is wrap the thing in a balnket and let it run for a few hours. It will heat up nice and toasty and end up buring itself alive. Instant RROD.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Playing it ought to do the trick.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
Best thing I can tell you to do is wrap the thing in a balnket and let it run for a few hours. It will heat up nice and toasty and end up buring itself alive. Instant RROD.

i was under the impression that this could warp the plastic case if it gets *too* hot and then MS will tell you to go fuck yourself.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Jonny is correct. The case will warp, and MS will tell you to take a hike.

DJ Daishi

Rugal's Thug
Jedah Doma said:

yup, thats what I did. the heat warps the motherboard.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Play "Rock 'N Roll High School Forever" starring Corey Feldman and it'll RROD your 360. The one copy I have killed the 360 and another DVD player.

The movie is just that bad.

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
Just keep phoning support until you get the magic combination of a nice person to speak to who happens to notice you've called 4 or 5 times in the last week. They have things they can do to get rid of annoying customers.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
subcons said:
From what I've read, they'd probably just call you and say it's $150 to fix once they have it in hand and it's not red ringing.

RROD instructions via 68k: link (basically what SpamYouToDeath posted, just in more detail).

No one needed to make any posts after this one, this method is tried and true.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
Take a long, thin metal object (big paperclip, maybe) and jam it through the exhaust holes. Turn the 360 on, run the object across the mainboard until it blows. Don't scrape or otherwise physically damage the board, just prod around until you short something.

Damn, it took me literally 3 seconds to do this to my brother's 360. Thanks a bunch.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Oh and I used a medium sized paperclip, just stuck in in on the left side and moved it to the right and that's it.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I recently went through this process with M$. I had to bitch at the normal represenative for over an hour, explaining (nicely without loosing my cool) how it was bullshit that Halo 3, a Microsoft 1st party product, broke my video on the 360. After I got fed up with talking circles around the rep, I got transfered to the manager.

After talking with him for about a half hour, I got presented two opetions. I could either send in the console and tag is as "red rings of death", however there was no guarantee it would get fixed for free. He said that if the tech department deemed it not-ring-of-death, I would have to pay return shipping on my console, and it would not be fixed.

The other option was to pay $50 for a video board fix. I thought it was complete bullshit, and told them I'd contemplate it before I did anything.

So I came up with option 3 on my own... I borrowed a friend's Best Buy warranty, and swapped the console out there, free of charge. The disgruntled employees didn't give 2 shits that the serials didn't match LOL.

Long story short, I modded the fresh 360 and am now enjoying all my next-gen gaming for free.

Win

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hey Bill,

When was your 360 made? I hope mine doesnt have the video problem thats going around.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Hey Bill,

When was your 360 made? I hope mine doesnt have the video problem thats going around.

The broken one was August of 2006 if i remember right. The replacement was Jan 08 (woohoo!)

From what I got out of the reps, "graphic intensive games played for extended periods of time can destroy the graphics card". Take that however you want....