Whats the fastest way to make the 360 get the red ring?

SSS

neo retired
Ghost-Dog said:
Don't expect Microsoft to cover that under warranty. $100 to replace a DVD drive if you send it to them.

I'll red ring it first

even if they don't fix the drive the first time, I'll keep sending it back until they give me a new one or refurb.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
after 2 1/2 years my 360 is starting to throw DRE's during vegas 2. might be getting close to sending it in if this continues with other titles :annoyed:

Could just be a dirty lens.

SSS

neo retired
Xian Xi said:
Could just be a dirty lens.

I wonder if it could also be the game. Vegas 2 is nowhere as polished as the first one. there are rampant glitches I've encountered from guns getting stuck in doors, enemies launching their guns across a level after being shot with a pistol, looping sound effects when there should be silence.

I've never had this problem with any other game.

Saturn2dfreak

Mickey's Coach
Xian Xi said:
Oh and I used a medium sized paperclip, just stuck in in on the left side and moved it to the right and that's it.

on top of the 360 or left of the HD? i dont know where exactly im suppose to use the paper clip ..there are alot of holes in this system..lol

or should i leave it alone and return to xbox? the problem is that it has HAD the 3 RROD but now it still lights up green but it doesnt read the disc.. i duno what to do...

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Saturn2dfreak said:
on top of the 360 or left of the HD? i dont know where exactly im suppose to use the paper clip ..there are alot of holes in this system..lol

or should i leave it alone and return to xbox? the problem is that it has HAD the 3 RROD but now it still lights up green but it doesnt read the disc.. i duno what to do...

remove the HD first and all the TV cables, you only need the PSU and the unit. If the disc tray id facing your right side then on the left is where the HD goes, with the HD removed to the left on the bottom of the "cradle" for the HD you stick the paperclip in and move it to the right slightly like 1/4" until the unit turns off. When you turn it back on it should have rrod.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
remove the HD first and all the TV cables, you only need the PSU and the unit. If the disc tray id facing your right side then on the left is where the HD goes, with the HD removed to the left on the bottom of the "cradle" for the HD you stick the paperclip in and move it to the right slightly like 1/4" until the unit turns off. When you turn it back on it should have rrod.

I would leave it plugged in to the TV, because it took me many tries to get mine to red ring permanently. I would say it took a solid 30 minutes at least.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ghost-Dog said:
I would leave it plugged in to the TV, because it took me many tries to get mine to red ring permanently. I would say it took a solid 30 minutes at least.

You dont need to see video, you just look at the lights on the front of the 360.

Saturn2dfreak

Mickey's Coach
yes i did it.i caused 3 red rings./ but im trying hard to keeep it the 3 rod instead of blinking green when its turn on

why is still blink green and turns on after i caused it to RROD after i put in the paper clip?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Saturn2dfreak said:
yes i did it.i caused 3 red rings./ but im trying hard to keeep it the 3 rod instead of blinking green when its turn on

why is still blink green and turns on after i caused it to RROD after i put in the paper clip?

You didnt do it right. You gotta do it where it always comes up with the rrod.

Saturn2dfreak

Mickey's Coach
i finally triggered it to RROD everytime now. thank you everybody for all of your help, especially you xian!!!

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Nice job, someone should get a picture up to where the paperclip should be placed to rrod the 360.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Saturn2dfreak said:
i finally triggered it to RROD everytime now. thank you everybody for all of your help, especially you xian!!!

No problem glad you did it finally but I personally thank SpamYouToDeath and 68k who told me how to do it. :buttrock:

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Great, just fucking great. I just did this and it turned off the system and now it doesn't even turn on at all. It does nothing.

I unplugged the system and the PSU adapter itself, nothing. After replugging, I get an orange light on the PSU and when I try to turn on the system the PSU light goes red instantly.

Any suggestions on my RROD story for Microsoft on the phone?

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Great, just fucking great. I just did this and it turned off the system and now it doesn't even turn on at all. It does nothing.

I unplugged the system and the PSU adapter itself, nothing. After replugging, I get an orange light on the PSU and when I try to turn on the system the PSU light goes red instantly.

Any suggestions on my RROD story for Microsoft on the phone?

Tell them the truth?

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Ok, I got this settled. My old roommate brought his power supply over and we tested it. It comes on with 3 red rings right away, yesssss. Microsoft is sending me the shipping label and I get free repair. The down side is that my PSU must be shorted out. Anyone know how to crack this thing open?

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
Does this (GPU overheating, RROD etc) happen often on the newer models or has M$ addressed the problem?

Considering a 360 at the moment but not sure after reading this thread.

Last edited:

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
My 360 is Red Ringing on 90% of boots... do I need to finish it off, or is that good enough to get a replacement?

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Got my system in today. It is the same serial # and shell, but I am damn sure they replace the mobo and maybe even the disc drive. The fans and the DVD drive run quieter.

How can you tell what model of the system it is really? Like if its a Falcon and if it has the extra heat sink for example.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Sorry to bump up this old thread but where exactly do you stick the paperclip into the console? Can someone please post up a picture. Would greatly appreciate it.

Bought an extended warranty that's going to run out soon so i need this thing red ringed fast.