What's wrong with the DMV?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I can give you a little idea. The last time I renewed my license, the DMV said 'that'll be $40 please'. So, I shrugged and whipped out my credit card. They said, 'whoops, all of our credit card readers are broken, please pay cash.' So I checked and I didn't have $40 cash on me. Then, they said 'there's an ATM in the Kroger over there, try that.' So, while all the people behind me in the DMV line waited, I walked over to the grocery store, used the ATM, got the cash, walked back, and paid them.

I'm not angry or anything, it's just that these people are not up to the standards of any private, competitive business (because they don't have to be).

Interesting example, thanks man!

Never had issues w/ the DMV...You can look at the website if its busy before you head out. Usually Tuesday-Thursday in the morning is the optimal time to go. Most of the stuff you can do online.

Its not to much of hassle but im sure you would hate it, like your kids.

Tiny penis stuff, thanks sort-of-man!

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Actually I'm doing that right now, before it expires. The test questions are ridiculous.

When (not if) you hit a pedestrian, do you:

A) Pretend like you didn't hit them
B) Blame them for damaging your car
C) Put it in reverse and run them over again
D) Drop your pants to your ankles, unload a shit, flee the scene

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When (not if) you hit a pedestrian, do you:

A) Pretend like you didn't hit them
B) Blame them for damaging your car
C) Put it in reverse and run them over again
D) Drop your pants to your ankles, unload a shit, flee the scene

I'll give you some bizarre ones on the mock test I take (there are close to a 1,000 possible questions, the real test is 100 questions, need to get at least 90 to pass):

Causing a traffic accident due to violating the law and regulations on road traffic safety is the rule-breaking act.

A. Right

B. Wrong

Use the high and low beam lights alternately when passing the crosswalk at night.

A. Right

B. Wrong

Traffic Police can detain the driver according to law, if the driver drives a motorized vehicle which is suspected of reaching the write-off standard.

A. Right

B. Wrong

Whats the meaning of this sign?
897.jpg

A. a manned level crossing

B. multi-crossing of railway and road

C. grade separation level crossing

D. an unmanned level crossing

Whats the meaning of this sign?
898.jpg

A. watch for long time honking

B. an unmanned level crossing

C. a manned level crossing

D. multi-crossing of railway and road

This set of the hand signals of the traffic police indicates that the vehicles should ___ .
896.jpg

A. turn right

B. reduce speed and pass slowly

C. pull over

D. change lane

All those questions I got wrong.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
At least the DMV takes cards now. A few years ago they were a cash only office. My local ones now at least have automated ticket line waiting now. Turned a 1.5 hour visit into a 30 min one. And most people are right. The larger the population in your area the worst your experience and service will be. Best just take a 30 minute drive to a better DMV instead of waiting the extra 2 hours extra dealing with a crappy one.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Like most non-military government-run entities in America, the DMV is choked by a combination of bureaucracy and underfunding. This leads to checked-out employees (the good ones largely leave out of general frustration with the system and 'fuck working with the general public'), buildings that smell like black mold and rotting death and not nearly enough locations (which makes for ludicrously long lines). When it's bad, it's BAAAAAAD.

That said, I've also had a number of perfectly pleasant DMV experiences over the years and NC DMV has been fine the three or four times I've had to go. Not sure if that's just where I live these days or if the DMV has improved in general over the last 10-15 years.

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
In Arizona they are called MVD’s rather then dmv.. I have had pretty good luck in Arizona’s mvd’s however when I lived in San Diego the DMV was a 6 hour experience at times and the people there looked defeated and depressed.

One time I saw a fist fight in San Diego DMV Between a guy who only spoke Spanish and a black guy at 8 am lol. Good times and I’m glad I don’t live in CA anymore. Awesome place to visit but a bad place to live in my opinion.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I had to go to the OMV last week to get a new license.
Took about 3 hours and all I had to do was wait in a room until called and than pay 35 bucks for a new one.

They were friendly but slow as fuck.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Really depends on where you live. When I lived in San Diego, I had to wait hours at the dmv for a drivers id. God forbid if you forgot one of required materials such as SScard, birth certificate, proof of address, etc then you may have well just wasted all that time there. Now that I’m in rural Illinois, the dmv visits aren’t that bad.