Where do you stand on animal rights?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I'm no Vegan psycho fundamentalist but I think there are a lot of problems with regards to how we treat animals and reading this article pissed me off

I think using stem cells is fine but fucking around with animals for research purposes like this is disgusting. It makes me sad. I don't care if one day some rich cunt will be cured of cancer thanks to research such as this. Progress is a very missleading term. The means do not justify the ends if we destroy our humanity in the process.
If a species is facing extinction and it's only chance of survival is for it to become some sort of eccentric toy for our own fancy, maybe it would be better it go extinct and be done with

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My typical stance on animal rights is to avoid reading animal-related things I know will upset me, especially when there's literally nothing I can do about it one way or the other. A cowardly stance, sure, but I'm saving my blaze of glory for the bankers.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
There's a line, for sure. But it's not black and white.

As to regards with this: "The means do not justify the ends if we destroy our humanity in the process."

We are way, WAYYYY past the Rubicon on that one.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I dunno man, what does this chimera monkey taste like seasoned and grilled?
Indiana-Jones-And-The-Temple-Of-Doom-Monkey-Head-with-Chilled-Brains-3.jpg

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Abuse them, torture them, make their lives from day 1 to end day living hell? No, not right.

Prevent them from being grilled and put on my plate? lol, nice try. We were designed for meat consumption. I'm not eating bugs and lettuce for dinner. F off.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm not in favor of abusing animals just to save a few bucks, which is what it seems many factory farms do. At least the case in the article linked here could benefit humanity. It's for scientific research; it's not for no reason.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Primates in laboratories are on the decline as they should be. I can only think of 2 labs that might still have chimps in the US. My understanding is that was halted almost 10 years ago. The number for monkeys is grossly overestimated in the US, but I would agree we can ethically argue it's not worth it.

Mice on the other hand... It's a free for all out there.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Abuse them, torture them, make their lives from day 1 to end day living hell? No, not right.

Prevent them from being grilled and put on my plate? lol, nice try. We were designed for meat consumption. I'm not eating bugs and lettuce for dinner. F off.
These are my feelings to a tee.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I'm not in favor of abusing animals just to save a few bucks, which is what it seems many factory farms do. At least the case in the article linked here could benefit humanity. It's for scientific research; it's not for no reason.
I never said there was no reason behind it, using animals in disgusting ways to favour mankind is pathetic.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The fucks I give about animal rights are directly proportional to the intelligence of the animal involved. Leave the monkeys, whales and octopi alone. Mice/insects/other lower creatures? Fuck 'em. There's science to be done.

As for animals we use for food, I'd prefer if those animals were raised and slaughtered as ethically as possible (particularly the abuse and overuse of antibiotics and steroids and shit they pump in our food but also the general misery of factory farming) but it's low on my hierarchy of problems that need fixing.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

insects in stir fry are pretty damn good. I experimented with cricket flour for a while too.
I'm doing my part o7

Pain is pain. even in mice.