Which KOF's are worth checking out?

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
are you playing it on the mvs?.the aes has an option menu where you can change the difficulty.but with the mvs you need to switch on the dip switch 1 before powering the console.you would need to go on the game settings by selecting the soft dip option, and adjust the difficulty from 1 to 8.

Yes, CMVS. Ok so I should be able to edit the difficulty setting in UniBIOS. Thanks.

I'm not trying to play on easy mode, but the game feels unforgiving for a decent novice.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

---

So, just play the hell out of which ever one you guys are into at the moment.

It's all good.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Yes, CMVS. Ok so I should be able to edit the difficulty setting in UniBIOS. Thanks.

I'm not trying to play on easy mode, but the game feels unforgiving for a decent novice.

kof 98 is relatively neutral when it comes to game difficulty.if you're struggling with 98,then i suggest staying clear of 94/95 for now.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I grew up with 94 and 95 in the arcades, so those are the ones I like better. But agree that 98 is worth it.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I grew up with 94 and 95 in the arcades, so those are the ones I like better. But agree that 98 is worth it.

95 was the first one i played and has a special place in my heart. i remember people talking about a game and comparing it to my beloved street fighter alpha.so i had to see this "king of fighters 95" for my self.saw it,played it,loved it.twenty years later and still love it.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
KOF 94 and 95 are worth it for the backgrounds along, but I'd say overall that 98 is my favorite gameplay-wise. Hated everything post 2000.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,

You could put your CMVS in AES mode via the UniBIOS and use the practice mode to learn some moves.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I'm well aware that I am crippled when it comes to Soul Calibur, I can't play that game with anything but the Dreamcast controller.

But the control 3 adapter seems like a cool idea, I could then get 2 virtua sticks and share them between DC and Saturn games.
Total control 3 adapters are totally worth it.Most of the time i use a saturn controller for fighters or shooters on the dc.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
All the ones on Neo Geo are worth checking out. Personally I'd say go for one between 96-2000, you can't go wrong with any of those. My favourite is 99.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
All the ones on Neo Geo are worth checking out. Personally I'd say go for one between 96-2000, you can't go wrong with any of those. My favourite is 99.

W.W.III :buttrock:

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
You could put your CMVS in AES mode via the UniBIOS and use the practice mode to learn some moves.

I didn't know AES mode would have an extra mode for practicing. I'll definitely give that a try because I was trying to learn moves while simultaneously getting my ass kicked by the computer.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
For any games that don't have practice mode, load up 2p vs and use unibios cheats for infinite p2 health, time, and p1 super meter.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I didn't know AES mode would have an extra mode for practicing. I'll definitely give that a try because I was trying to learn moves while simultaneously getting my ass kicked by the computer.

a lot of neo geo games do not have a practice mode,even on the aes. but they did give king of fighters a practice mode from 98 and onwards.

Phexe

Quiz Detective
I'm trying to get into KOF '98 because I understand it's a good place to start with the series (right?), but the game seems really tough. Can't get out of the first round tough. Are there difficulty settings somewhere in the game or in Unibios? Maybe they're turned up high because it's not even close against the CPU.

My biggest advice for newcomers to KOF98 is remember to ROLL! Pick Advanced mode, and Press A+B or Back+A+B. You can roll through projectiles (or roll if your opponent is doing a jump in attack) or if you have a stock of DM you can even use it to roll out of combos. (Beware they aren't the answer always because you can be thrown out of rolls).

Last edited:

shinhed

Posting is overrated, ,
I always loved the style of 96-98.

It was very Japanese in design without pandering to the usual Otaku tropes which is prevalent in fighting games today.

Even the music during that era was amazing. Arashi no Saxaphone 2 (OST) is still my favourite KOF track.

Everything this man said.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Just load them up in an emulator and try them all out for a little while.

Every single one has something fun and unique to offer.

94 because it's the first.
95 for the bgs.
96 for the boss team.
97 for orochi stuff.
98 for ex terry, sports team, and polish.
99 for awesome bgs, my favorite athena, and weird terry movelist.
2000 for being the last snk kof.
2001 for crazy striker gameplay.
2002 for gameplay system.
2003 for tag teams.
11 for more crazy tags and tung fu rue.
12 for counter hit craziness and sweet new sprites.
13 for being amazing.
14 will suck.
I love this, gonna add some

94 DSM spam
95 OST
96 New Sprites and Leona
97 Shermie
98 Ex Robah
99 Charger Robah
2000 Zanny Strikers
2001 Insane Moveset for Robah
2002 Shermie got beefier...mmmm
2003 Tizoc and Robah's new sprite
XI Insane Dream Cancel
XII Fatal Fury Special\KOF 95 feel
XIII 98 feel all over again

Every KOF is worth having, I'll never let go of mine.

Neowave AOF2 Geese so underused, should have been the boss for XII

Last edited:

DPCameron

n00b
It's a hard question to answer, I feel like our favourites are probably the ones we had the most/best experience with when they were released. For me, 99 has that special place in my heart as it's the funniest and it's the one that was in the arcade opposite my uni. I'd spend hours there instead of in class, as I was a terrible student.

I recently completed my KOF MVS collection with 94 and 98. I hadn't played a great deal of either, but I see why there's love for 98.

BLEAGH's reply seems to be the best. He's a very insightful individual (^_^) Play them all and have fun, it's hard to go wrong with this series! Even after the Neo.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've really enjoyed 98' and 99' recently and recieved a copy of 2002 for Xmas :) I think they all have thier charms but I agree with many that 98 and 2002 are best overall. 2000 has a lot of cameo character strikers such as Fio from Metal Slug which is cool.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yea, me too.

I love this, gonna add some

Every KOF is worth having, I'll never let go of mine.

The Side Step Supper Spammers: 94, 95.
--
The Advanced-Rollers: 96, 97 98,
--
The Strikers: 99, 2000, 2001
--
The Drive Cancel & Unblockables: 2002
The Super Cancelers & Heat Button: NeoWave.
The Critical (Drive) Cancelers: XII
The EX & Drive Cancelers: XIII.
--
The Taggers: 2003, XI
--
The Remakes: 98 UM, 2002 UM. And,
--
The 3D-ers: MIRA (I love this one. It's so crazy it's fun. :D)

Last edited: