WTB: Retrofreak console with controller adapter

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
As the title states, I'm looking for the new Retrofreak console with the controller adapter. If anyone has one for sale or knows where I can get one (Play-Asia and NCSX are sold out), please hit me up.

Thanks!

hqdefault.jpg

Box-698x309.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
This console looks interesting. It's like a Retron 5 but with PCE goodness.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
This console looks interesting. It's like a Retron 5 but with PCE goodness.

This is what the Retron 5 should have been. They just announced an adapter that ships in February that will allow it to play Game Gear, Mark III, and SG-1000 games.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
had not heard of this. looks pretty damn awesome actually. start a thread once you get one and let us know how good a device it is if you have time.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
Yea, I'm going to pass on this like I did with the retron 5 but would still like a review from someone here. Judging by some shit youtube reviews it's pretty much a retron 5 with more features. Still something cool to play on a hdtv.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'll totally post a review once I get my hands on one.

How's Nin-Nin Game? I've never bought from them before. Reliable? Resonable shipping time? Need it in time for Christmas.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
Get the Fedex shipping. I've ordered Neo Games from them in the past and wasn't happy with the condition but this is for a brand new item so you should be fine.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it looked cool but wanted to know more details about it.
Couldn't find any reviews online.

Edit there's some play through videos but they appear to be in French and Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYJqQRDUWEA
Here's one starring some jailbait barely legal looking asian chick.
(look at neo carts in the background...tons of the same title)

Ok looks to be a linux type system and not fpga, oh well should be easier to update. Really all you need is that main little unit, everything else is just stuff to play around with. Coolest thing is it looks like the unit has a sd storage card and usb input controllers and storage.

Menu looks to have a nice looking gui with tons of options. Nobody is playing the sound very loud so its tough to tell about that.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I said what the hell and ordered the standard edition (without the controller adaptor) on Friday from Nin Nin Games. I was kind of sold on the idea of playing pc engine, turbografx, and supergrafx games on this. I got it in this morning, I was waiting for Fed Ex to come in before I left for work so I haven't hooked it up yet, I did test some of the cartridge slots with games just to see what fit correctly. I have no experience with the retron 5 but from the little info I've read, this does suffer from some of the same "grip of death," so I wanted to test the slots. The genesis and pc engine/ turbografx fit fine, it did get a decent hold on a Super Nintendo game, the famicom game was really really tough to get out. I'll post a review later on if people want me to.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I said what the hell and ordered the standard edition (without the controller adaptor) on Friday from Nin Nin Games. I was kind of sold on the idea of playing pc engine, turbografx, and supergrafx games on this. I got it in this morning, I was waiting for Fed Ex to come in before I left for work so I haven't hooked it up yet, I did test some of the cartridge slots with games just to see what fit correctly. I have no experience with the retron 5 but from the little info I've read, this does suffer from some of the same "grip of death," so I wanted to test the slots. The genesis and pc engine/ turbografx fit fine, it did get a decent hold on a Super Nintendo game, the famicom game was really really tough to get out. I'll post a review later on if people want me to.

Many thanks!!!
It maybe a good Christmas gift for myself :P

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Unfortunately I do not have an everdrive. I do believe Daskrabs who is fairly local to me brought a famicom one to White Castle's early November meetup I'll shoot him a PM and see if we can meetup sometime and test it out.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I don't see why it wouldn't unless it has some kind of menu compatibility issues.
Again it has a mirco-sd slot for storage and pretty sure you can load files off a usb stick as well.
Don't know why Everdrive compatibility would be important but to each their own.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'm still waiting to get mine. Nin-Nin-Games wanted me to send over some info to verify my order was legit so it got held up. Grrr....

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Unfortunately I do not have an everdrive. I do believe Daskrabs who is fairly local to me brought a famicom one to White Castle's early November meetup I'll shoot him a PM and see if we can meetup sometime and test it out.

It was Jon's actually. I might have one soon though, at least to test. PM me.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don't see why it wouldn't unless it has some kind of menu compatibility issues.
Again it has a mirco-sd slot for storage and pretty sure you can load files off a usb stick as well.
Don't know why Everdrive compatibility would be important but to each their own.

The way the retron works is it dumps the game into memory then plays it. It can't dump an ever drive as its not a single game. Unless it's designed to run off the cartridges which can't work on these systems as they are emulators not hardware clones. I don't have this type myself but from what I read it's very similar to a retron internally. Just an emulator based machine. You can get a bootleg game to play through a retron though as long as there is no menu system, it will just report as unknown.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The way the retron works is it dumps the game into memory then plays it. It can't dump an ever drive as its not a single game. Unless it's designed to run off the cartridges which can't work on these systems as they are emulators not hardware clones. I don't have this type myself but from what I read it's very similar to a retron internally. Just an emulator based machine. You can get a bootleg game to play through a retron though as long as there is no menu system, it will just report as unknown.

Yeah I understand, if I'm not mistaken I think that's what makes this different than the retron, that you don't actually have to have a physical cartridge in it to have it play games. Again it just got released a couple weeks ago so there's not much info out there about it.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Still at work so I haven't hooked it up yet, but you can dump a game from a cartridge onto a micro sd card, or from what I read download a rom to the micro sd card and play off of that as well. I believe it may have limited internal memory as well. The "guts" of the system is a lot smaller than the cartridge shell, you can remove the "guts" and play the roms off of that without the cartridge shell.

Again, I don't have it in front of me, but neither the "guts" nor the cartridge shell had a power switch that I saw (but again I was in a rush to leave for work.) so I'm interested to see how to power it up even.

Last edited: