Xbone (next-gen console?) Bitching Thread

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Today a 13gb (yes, thirteen gig) update was pushed out for Dead Rising 3 for the Xbone. I don't even know the actual size of the game itself but surely it cant be that much larger in size.

As one of the resident Xbox fanboys i gotta say how ridiculous this is getting. On launch Forza 5 was a 6gb update which in itself is absurd.

When you buy a game on physical media you arent getting anything more than maybe 1/3 of the actual game. And it sure as shit wont run. I've always prefered buying physical copies of games over digital but i think im going to switch. A plastic case with a disc and no manual is what you get these days. Why bother?

Also, I guess i missed when Microsoft said that online only was going away but you still wont be actually able to play the game if you don't have a connection and the means to pull down an update.

Im curious to hear how things are over on the PS4 side? Apart from initial installs to the hdd im not hearing reports of big ass updates like the above.

source:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dead-rising-3-receives-massive-13gb-update/1100-6417231/

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I feel you - weak as shit, and it's only gonna get worse. Even unfinished, enjoy having physical media not tied to an account as long as you can.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I don't mind an update that large if it's to actually optimize the game. I'd actually love for Killer Instinct to get something like this so it loads faster. There's some speculation that the 13gb update is for future DLC stuff, but who knows. I don't mind large installs. I just downloaded the DR3 demo the other day which was a little over 7gb. The game controls like shit so I stopped playing it after a few minutes (which was after some chinese kung fu guy raped me with a Cloud Strife sword).

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
13gb is rather large, and with the eventual "Tiered" internet that will be coming down the pipe due to recent rulings people are going to be hitting caps more frequently no doubt. Like Mikey said though at least they had to do a 180 this time around from doing full DD based on backlash.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So far my Xbone has done exactly what I've asked of it. I wanted to use it as a makeshift stand for my Omega. And since it's still sealed in the box, and that box weighs a ton, it works perfectly... :lolz:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Yeah im not sure what actually happened to that promised KI update. I never got it when it was supposed to drop. the loading fucking kills the game for me. No excuse for it.

Back on topic : Reports ive heard is that the game size after the patch is the same. Capcom have not announced what it is for. It sounds like a total reinstall of game assets/textures and data to me but who knows? I heard that it could be DLC related also.

I usually don't mind patches and updates either, im worried about the precedence this is setting. Outside DLC, updates last gen were usually pretty small and were over and done with quickly. Even day 1 updates i didnt mind, but this is on a whole new level to me. i cant say im enjoying it.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Other than my first one dying a week after I got it I have no major complaints. It did take around eight hours to complete the install for DR3 though.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The game controls like shit so I stopped playing it after a few minutes (which was after some chinese kung fu guy raped me with a Cloud Strife sword).

Dude, save this stuff for later in the week. You've raised the bar too high and it's only Monday:(

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I got that update, too, but I have serious doubts about whether it was truly 13GB. I think it was a display error, or the message was misleading. I think it was probably just patching a 13GB file. Some people say it took a long time to install/update, but I was streaming Netflix while it was updating and it finished within the hour. Of course, I could be wrong. Is there a way to manage your game files yet?

Back on topic : Reports ive heard is that the game size after the patch is the same. Capcom have not announced what it is for. It sounds like a total reinstall of game assets/textures and data to me but who knows?

EDIT: Just noticed the above statement, and I basically think that's what it is. I don't even think it downloaded for more than a few minutes. The entire update was "installing", according to the status bar.

Last edited:

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I feel you - weak as shit, and it's only gonna get worse. Even unfinished, enjoy having physical media not tied to an account as long as you can.
That's why the N64 was so good.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Dont own an X1 yet but I can see that my internet plan, currently, would not cope with these constant updates.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The size seems bloated. I wonder what else is in there. Seems like lazy coding to me.
Most MMO's are about 20-50GB, and that's the largest any game should get.

The discs are only there because people bitch about DRM. There's no plan to put a working copy of the game onto discs. It's just not done that way anymore.

Get a real Hard drive, and load that bad boy up.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Dont own an X1 yet but I can see that my internet plan, currently, would not cope with these constant updates.

If it means anything, I've owned Dead Rising 3 for a month, and this is the first time since I got it that I've had to update it. I think it's also worse because they're launch games that were rushed to make a deadline.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
so i downloaded this last night. No way it was really 13gb in size. It was done in about 90 mins which is impossible given my internet speed

the official patch notes are:

Content for DLC episodes 3 and 4 added as part of this CU.
Various stability fixes.
Various performance improvements.
Online stability improvements.
Added a progress bar to main menu while installer is running.
Fixed an issue which could allow the user to overwrite their save file during streaming install while the game is booted.
Fix for missing English VUI command in multiplayer menu.
Some improvements to item pickups.
Fixed a reproducible issue where the player could get out of the world.
Fixed an issue where music wasn't present during the streaming install.
Fixed some mission scripting issues.
Fixed an issue which could cause some co-op players to not progress blueprint collection achievements correctly.
Fixed an issue where the UI was not updating properly.
Fixed an issue which caused glass textures to appear low-res.
Fixed an issue which could cause shadows to render incorrectly.
Fixed a texture issue with the Golden SledgeSaw weapon.
SmartGlass stability fix.

I gave it a quick go this morning and can verify performance of the game is much improved