Xbox 360 wifi

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
One last thing: if you do the license transfer to your current system your games will not have to check in to Xbox live to boot.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Ok, big thank you to all you guys who've made constructive suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Update: Borrowed a monitor and set my xbox 360 up next to the router and connected via ethernet. Works perfectly, no problems.
Didconnected the ethernet cable, rebooted the xbox and tried the Wi-Fi - nothing, same shit about it cannot connect.

So, after trying all the suggestions, I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that @Neo Alec did - the wif-fi card is fucked. Console will recognize the Wi-Fi router channel, but simply refuses to connect to it. I've attached a photo below of what I get. If anyone else has anything to worthwhile to chip in I'd be grateful to hear it... otherwise I'll buy a new wi-fi card from Amazon.

52552144873_aa5c0305e1.jpg

As I say, the above is what you get when you try and connect via wi-fi, and prior to that page, the 360 DOES recognize the router (and my neighbours) but won't connect.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
You already cleared the system cache. Next thing would be a complete factory reset. Try a "guest access" in your router first to connect your 360.
Would also try to disconnect the router for half an hour or an hour. This may sound strange but it could help if it's router/IP related. Sometimes a restart is not enough.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
You already cleared the system cache. Next thing would be a complete factory reset. Try a "guest access" in your router first to connect your 360.
Would also try to disconnect the router for half an hour or an hour. This may sound strange but it could help if it's router/IP related. Sometimes a restart is not enough.
Yeah, system cahed cleared. How do you perform a complete factory reset without losing your game data?
I can try turning the internet off for longer... not sure it's going to make any difference, but I'll give it a shot and update.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Did the wired connection use the same IP address as the wireless connection is trying?

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Yeah, system cahed cleared. How do you perform a complete factory reset without losing your game data?
Would copy the savestates to usb before the factory reset. Normally 360s only die the RROD. The slims are way more reliable. Remove the power from the Xbox for an hour and reset the router before you plug it in again if you can't do it with the router.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Would copy the savestates to usb before the factory reset. Normally 360s only die the RROD. The slims are way more reliable. Remove the power from the Xbox for an hour and reset the router before you plug it in again if you can't do it with the router.
Yeah, so that hasn't worked either. Again, it sees the wireless network but will not connect to it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've heard that you can put the 360 in the microwave to fix the wifi chip. Set the timer to 03:60 and start it. If you smell something weird just ignore it.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's likely hardware related if the factory reset didn't work.
*sigh* yes, I can't see any other rational explanation. I tried connect via my phone's hotspot, same issue - recognizes the network but will not connect.

Anyhoo. thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

*sigh* yes, I can't see any other rational explanation. I tried connect via my phone's hotspot, same issue - recognizes the network but will not connect.

Anyhoo. thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
Fortunately the wifi card is plug n play, so it is pretty easy to swap out. Unlike the ps3 where it is soldered to the motherboard on the slim and super slim

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Tarma I’m thinking for the cost of another 360 (not much), is it worth just buying another one and porting your save games over by swapping the hard drives or via a memory card?

My launch 2005 died with the RROD but I got one of those Xbox 360 E consoles for next to nothing to replace it (about £40 on ebay with games).

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Tarma I’m thinking for the cost of another 360 (not much), is it worth just buying another one and porting your save games over by swapping the hard drives or via a memory card?

My launch 2005 died with the RROD but I got one of those Xbox 360 E consoles for next to nothing to replace it (about £40 on ebay with games).
A replacement wifi card is like $10, and other than that my 360S is working just fine... if the router was in the same room as the Xbox (they're not even on the same floor of the house) I'd just hardwire via ethernet cable.

I did briefly consider buying a loose used 360S to part out... but you just don't know how long those parts are going to last, so it's not worth it.

Heh, I ended upgoing thru 4 360's - a Premium i bought just after launch that failed within a week (exchanged under warranty at Game), that was 2006... Traded the Premium in for an Elite 12 months later... and that lasted until about 2012 when it finally RROD'd on me. I briefly managed to fix it, but then it RROD'd again and I gave up and went and bought the S that I have now. Doesn't get a ton of use nowadays, but my son loves the early Forza Horizon games, so he uses it more than me.

@kernow will be pleased to know I've abandoned the 360 for now, and am currently using my PS3 - finally decided to complete Killzone 2... although I'm not sure why I'm bothering. Oh well... maybe some Real Bout Special on AES later - gonna 1cc that fucker with Joe.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Funnily enough that's why I bought a 360E - for the early Forza games and also the Project Gotham Series which work on backwards compatibility for 1 and 2 on the 360 but not on the Xbox One onwards - probably licensing or something.

PGR 2 has Edinburgh in it, pretty cool as a local lad to see.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Funnily enough that's why I bought a 360E - for the early Forza games and also the Project Gotham Series which work on backwards compatibility for 1 and 2 on the 360 but not on the Xbox One onwards - probably licensing or something.

PGR 2 has Edinburgh in it, pretty cool as a local lad to see.
Yeah, sadly, no development team has had the foresight to re-create the mean streets of Stoke-on-Trent in a racing videogame... yet.

Odd really, seeing as the A500 and Festival Park are treated like race circuits by the local boy racer fraternity off their faces on monkey dust.

A replacement wifi card is like $10, and other than that my 360S is working just fine... if the router was in the same room as the Xbox (they're not even on the same floor of the house) I'd just hardwire via ethernet cable.

I did briefly consider buying a loose used 360S to part out... but you just don't know how long those parts are going to last, so it's not worth it.

Heh, I ended upgoing thru 4 360's - a Premium i bought just after launch that failed within a week (exchanged under warranty at Game), that was 2006... Traded the Premium in for an Elite 12 months later... and that lasted until about 2012 when it finally RROD'd on me. I briefly managed to fix it, but then it RROD'd again and I gave up and went and bought the S that I have now. Doesn't get a ton of use nowadays, but my son loves the early Forza Horizon games, so he uses it more than me.

@kernow will be pleased to know I've abandoned the 360 for now, and am currently using my PS3 - finally decided to complete Killzone 2... although I'm not sure why I'm bothering. Oh well... maybe some Real Bout Special on AES later - gonna 1cc that fucker with Joe.
I had the same issue, went through 3 different 360s. 2 RRoD on the launch models. Disc read error on the halo 3 model. The early 360s were gigantic pieces of shit

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
killzone 2 was good, when it came out.
uhm you gotta catch up
throw that backlog in the bin x

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
killzone 2 was good, when it came out.
uhm you gotta catch up
throw that backlog in the bin x
I was bored, felt like giving my PS3 some love and although I bought Killzone 2 not long after I got my PS3 this is the first time I've bothered playing it properly... I don't even think it's any good by yesterday's standards... Black, Half-Life 2, Far Cry 2... all shit over this. Enemies are bullet sponges, every gun takes ten minutes to reload, game freezes mid-game to load sections in (neo-geo CD anyone?), controls are jank.... I could go on, but won't.