Your favorite console design?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Purely from a standpoint of aesthetic appeal, and not necessarily ergonomics, reliability or any other considerations.

What would you consider to be the best looking consoles?

My favorites:

Original Famicom and Super Famicom/European SNES.

Some people prefer the AV Famicom for it's universal design and detachable controllers, but the original Famicom is a work of art. The US design of the Super Nintendo should have never been released.

Famicom.jpg
Super_Famicom.jpg

PC Engine IFU-30 "briefcase"

The unholy marriage of the world's smallest game console to the world's first CD-based game system, was achieved through an overly-complicated briefcase that just screams 80's technology.

pce20120729180before.jpg

Original PS2

I have always loved the simple "black box" design of the original PS2. In it's proper horizontal orientation, of course.

ps2.png

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
ooooh great thread! I'm a big fan of the PC-Engine Briefcase and original PS2.

For me, I'll go with the Gamecube. Not a big fan of the purple one, but the orange, black and silver ones were all lovely.

I'll also nominate the original Panasonic 3DO. The thing just felt so solid. Certainly felt like it was worth the hundreds of dollars it cost :)

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
SuperFami is hard to beat as far as cartridge consoles go - it still holds up and dem lines!

PS2 design was also amazing when it came out - we hadn't seen a tray load in a while - it was classy as fuck.

I've always liked the look of the FZ-1 - It doesn't hold up as well anymore (even though I still think it's sexy), but it's a great example of that early-mid 90's high-end home theater style.

I'm going to stop there - I have a good feeling on some of the next pics though.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
PC Engine IFU-30 "briefcase"

The unholy marriage of the world's smallest game console to the world's first CD-based game system, was achieved through an overly-complicated briefcase that just screams 80's technology.

View attachment 7292
I love this design so much that I just had both PC Engine and Super CD repaired recently. It's one of the systems that I still have everything for it (registration papers, Super Card, plastics, and original AC adapter). The only thing that I wish I could at a decent rate is a Rom Amp-30 setup:

$(KGrHqR,!lIFGo+0Pu,lBRuVVGu6-g~~60_35.JPG

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I'm absolutely crazy about the PC-Engine CD briefcase. Nice, compact and, as mentioned, lathered with 80s chic, if I had a great deal of disposable income, I'd get it, but I'd have to put in my DUO RX into the mix as well. Sleek as hell and combines the best of the PCE. Also, the Super Famicom and the AES have my votes as well. If there's any other system I'd throw my hat off to in terms of design, I'd have to say the Wondermega comes close as well.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
The Panasonic 3DO FZ-1
It's just a huge beast of a machine but looks very good with the Green/Red light combo on the front and I love the way the buttons are out to the side like that. Hell if you got 4 of these you could set your car on them and the system would work just fine, mine works great as a table to hold up my Neo CD

5077131782_60b33d1b54_z.jpg

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I love it! The only reason I haven't sold off my 3DO stuff yet is because I like the look of it so much (as well as the long box locking cases - like the one used for Road Rash...)

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Probably the best looking console I own is the Skeleton Saturn as well.

But a couple others I really like are...

Sega CDX: Probably one of the nicest looking CD + Cartridge based combo systems. Considering the Genny + CD + 32X monstrosities, this is one Sega got right imo.

UT1svfe.jpg

Sega JP MD: Something about the big 16-Bit badge always gets me. :D

nQ42Peo.jpg

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
First up I always loved the Amstrad GX4000, looked like something off the original Battlestar Galactica

gx4000.png[SUP][/SUP]

Handheld console, I know, but the psp go is a really sexy piece of kit

psp.png

And finally, whilst neo aren't exactly known for their aesthetically pleasing systems, I think the cdz bucks the trend. At least, it's the best they ever managed.

cdz.png

Just to add - what I really like about a console is the 'solid' feel to it. A lot of consoles feel like there's nothing inside them which seems disappointing, I like something that feels like a block of metal wrapped in shiny plastic, like Darth Vaders cod piece.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Victor Wondermega

victorwondermega18.JPG

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hands Down the most appealing to me is the Neo-Geo. It's big but simple. No crazy curves or molds. Smooth and sleek.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The next one would be the Japanese MegaDrive as posted above.

nQ42Peo.jpg

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Three of my faves:

Neo homecart system - slender, smooth, black, cool.

Dreamcast - nice and compact

Gamecube - I like the handle on the back, the machine looks and feels tidy

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I really like the PC Engine Suitcase.

I don't know if this qualifies, but a Sharp 68k is up there.

Most of these forum discussions just default to the wondermega tho.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
NES 2 / AV Famicom - It's soooooo tiny. It makes the original NES look like an Atari 5200. Despite its microscopic size, it still manages to have a great style about it, I love the "split in half" front side of it.

Genesis Model 1 - It may look tacky to some people these days, it has a undeniably 80s charm about it. The 16-bit logo on the front, the busy looking headphone jack / switch arrangement on the left, the big circle around the cart slot, the ventilation grill, it's all great.

Neo Geo - as others have said, it's a great looking machine. I love how despite its huge cartridge slot, it still manages to be relatively compact, yet stylish and cool. It has an eponymous 90s look, but not over the top about it. Neo Geo looks so good, the gold system box uses it for the cover art.

N64 - Gotta love its curvy, heavy front end design. It sort of reminds me of a car, or maybe an engine.

Dreamcast - So elegant, so compact. It looks a lot like a PC Engine in that regard.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Neo-Geo homecart system; there's something wonderful about those game carts, absolutely unique.

Atari 2600; my first console has a place in my heart, all that fake wood.

Gamecube; never has a game console looked more like a toy to me, love that handle on the back.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
I always liked the design of the original PS2 and the NES Top Loader. I also think the PS4 is sexy, but I think that it to be all in a glossy black finish.

For handhelds i agree with stevenk PSP go hands down the best looking.