The Comic Book Thread

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I received this today:

asm50ss.jpg

only cost me $410 :buttrock:

After seeing what these are going for I wish that I would have gotten more books signed by Stan and graded.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Just finished reading:

Batman

Arkham Asylum: Got 10 pages in and put it down. The art is beautiful but reading it is hard on the eyes. Very different from what I was expecting, I'll come back to it some day.

Earth One: seemed like a Batman story written by the makers of Call of Duty but I did enjoy it over all.

Next up is The Long Halloween

A Game of Thrones

Vol. 1&2: Art is pretty shoddy in places but the dialog holds up well compared to the novel.

Next up is Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword

Punisher 2099

Only 3 issues in but I'm compelled to buy more, pretty solid.

V for Vendetta

Thankfully I've never seen the movie so the story was fresh to me. Excellent ride, Alan Moore kicks serious ass.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I like Hedge a Knight and Sworn Sword more then GOT proper and IMO the art is far better

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Just finished reading:

Batman

Arkham Asylum: Got 10 pages in and put it down. The art is beautiful but reading it is hard on the eyes. Very different from what I was expecting, I'll come back to it some day.

All those different fonts are horrible. Joker's lines are almost unreadable for me.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
All those different fonts are horrible. Joker's lines are almost unreadable for me.

I just finished it for the first time. Typography is definitely the low point of the book.

I mainly like the late 80s early 90s Batman stuff: Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Arkham Asylum, etc. Would I like Long Halloween? It's considered a must-read Batman story, right?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It pretty much is. Contains the origin story of Two-Face too. Catwoman looks pretty stupid in that one though.
I liked Hush too.

Maybe you'd like
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Gaslig...&qid=1442191638&sr=8-3&keywords=batman+gothic
or
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Gothic...&qid=1442191638&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+gothic
although Gothic goes in a more paranormal direction.

There's also http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vampir...qid=1442191697&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+vampire but that might not be for everyone...very depressive, dark and violent. It thought it was okay though.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It pretty much is. Contains the origin story of Two-Face too. Catwoman looks pretty stupid in that one though.
I liked Hush too.

Maybe you'd like
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Gaslig...&qid=1442191638&sr=8-3&keywords=batman+gothic
or
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Gothic...&qid=1442191638&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+gothic
although Gothic goes in a more paranormal direction.

There's also http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vampir...qid=1442191697&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+vampire but that might not be for everyone...very depressive, dark and violent. It thought it was okay though.

Thanks, I'll pick up Long Halloween. Hush was actually my first dive into Batman and I did love it - it just doesn't have that '80s magick. I'll check out Gothic, too. I love Grant Morrison.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Thanks, I'll pick up Long Halloween. Hush was actually my first dive into Batman and I did love it - it just doesn't have that '80s magick. I'll check out Gothic, too. I love Grant Morrison.
After you read Long Halloween, read the sequel, Dark Victory. Also great.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
in my read pile

I kill Giants TPB
Decender
Hero HC
Trillium TPB
Usagi Yojimbo Senso HC
Apocalypti Girl TPB
Ragnarok
Tower chronicles TPB
Hell boy in Hell YPB
Godzilla in hell
COPRA Vol2 TPB ---------read this book if you grew up on marvel in the 80s

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
After you read Long Halloween, read the sequel, Dark Victory. Also great.

Both are must reads - a couple of the best Loeb/Sale Batman books. Thicker trades but I blew through each in one sitting.

Year One and The Killing Joke are well done too, fakeX.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I whittled my backlog down to three single issues today. A few months back I had over 50 singles on my to read pile.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I've added some things to my pull because there's some Image and Marvel titles I really want

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
About the closest I'm ever going to get to anything original C&H.
IMG_1689.jpg

You can get any page printed in giclee quality at OK Comics and it's authorized by Waterson.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ah, a newspaper strip from back in the day when cartoonists knew how to draw and also could say something that was actually interesting or funny. I almost forgot what that was like.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
This past weds pick ups

Descender vol 1

Tokyo Ghost first issue

Space Riders- amazing Kirby / Moebius esqe' lines and colors

Head Lopper first issue (double thick issue size)

Blood strike - yes a Liefeld book

Also I finished ApocalytiGirl this week and I thought is was great, its the same writer artist as Head Lopper

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Kid's Top 5 comic strips of all-time, GO!
I'm dumb enough to just answer your question at face value.

#1 Modesty Blaise. My choice for best-written and often one of the best-drawn adventure comic strips of all time. Reads as naturally and as well as a regular comic book.

mbwillie%20holdaway2.gif

#2 Terry and the Pirates. Pretty widely considered the best adventure strip ever written, and Caniff surpasses even Jack Kirby as the most influential comic artist ever, just in terms of sheer number of artists that can trace their style back to his. This is also, to my knowledge, the only comic strip ever to have been read aloud in the U.S. Congress and entered into the Congressional Record so as to be preserved for all time.

Raven.JPG

Not that one, by the way.

Tied for #3: Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes. No one needs these described. But one thing that needs to be pointed out is that Peanuts used to be a lot funnier than it ended up being once the dimensions allowed a newspaper comic strip got shrunk to the point Schultz had to go from 4 panels a day to 3 (sometime in the 1960s, I think). That 4th panel was fucking vital. Panels 1 & 2 were setup, panel 3 was the punchline, and panel 4 was a reaction. Cutting the last panel totally changed the dynamic of his storytelling.

Here's the first ever Peanuts strip, and still one of my favorites, even though it's a terrible example of what I just described:

peanuts%2Bfirst%2Bstrip%2B1950.gif

#5: I don't know. I like Raymond's Flash Gordon a lot, but only the years he drew it himself, which was a pretty short time.

Maybe Dick Tracy. That was great for decades. Better stories than you would think, and unbelievably violent during a time when comic books were completely neutered.

6078892324_c48ab52d3a.jpg

Little+Orphan+Annie+and+Dick+Tracy.jpg

Dick+Tracy+OTR.jpg

psbrr9bnbq5aihgcky6i.jpg

Impaled on a flagpole, for fuck's sake.

brow.jpg

note: the machine was not stopped.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
20150928_225205.jpg

Found this at a swap meet for 1 dollar. Wasn't in my collection of 90's re-prints. Busted some of the old EC horror collection out and starting re-reading after years in storage. Vault of Horror always was my favorite of the three.