Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

neogeostore

Overtop Pathfinder
The Midnight Sky - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Probably not the reaction George Clooney would hope for. Awful. Hopelessly boring and poorly paced for two hours then it ends with maybe the dumbest "twist" I've ever seen.

I agree; it was really bad. That spacewalk scene felt like an hour. You could cut an hour from the film and it would be twice as good. Still bad, but at least you only waste half the time.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Wendy- Re-imagining of Peter Pan set in modern Louisiana. It had some interesting ideas and locations but overall pretty schmaltzy and just plain bizarre. I guess they actually made that giant Mother sea monster thing though that's kind of cool.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
WW84- Oh boy. I was going into it with no expectations other than that I enjoyed the first movie. Holy shit what a fucking train wreck, there's so much wrong with it that I'd have to make a Taiso level post to even scratch the surface.

Do not waste your 2.5 hours. Just watch the first movie again and pretend this one doesn't exist.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The more I think about WW84 the less any part of it makes any god damn sense at all.

Spoiler:

Does Maxwell Lord's kid just live at the office? And how the fuck is he just randomly outside in the bushes after Max renounces his wish?

Why does some guy who has the MacGuffin they need hand out fliers for "ancient Mayan services" at the Smithsonian or whatever?

If that guy with that MacGuffin is in DC, where the movie started, why the fuck do we spend 30 minutes in Egypt?

Why does Maxwell Lord even know about this magic wish rock or whatever? He's presented to the audience as a failing oil businessman. So why and how does he have all this research about this divine object? Doesn't it make a lot more sense that Barbara's character, whose job it is in the movie to know this kinda shit, to... I dunno, know this kinda shit?

Diana seems totally cool with just letting Steve take this guy's body over permanently until it becomes clear she can't get her powers back. What about this poor, poorly-dressed fellow? Diana essentially throws his life away and then fucks her boyfriend via his body...

Seems like by just having Steve return in his own body you site step a lot of that idiocy but still have Diana ultimately grappling with the issue of letting him go versus the greater good.

Why are there multiple jets fueled up sitting on an active runway? Why is there an active runway attached the fucking Smithsonian? How far can they fly that shit on one tank of invisible plane gas?

Why is one of the robbers from the first mall scene later recycled as a police officer?

How the fuck is that ending even a thing? Do all the people remember what happened? Because that seems like a pretty fucking big event to have taken place in the 1984 of the timeline we've already seen established from Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman, Justice League, and Wonder Woman. Seems like a guy like Batman would be pretty fucking on top of exactly this sort of shit, considering how he reacted to Superman.

No, seriously. This is worse than Justice League, Suicide Squad, or the theatrical cut of Batman vs Superman.

Movie looks cheap as fuck, too. Bad CGI, bad action sequences, bad everything.

Basically, at no point during the watching of this movie do any of the actions of the characters make sense within the context of the information we have been presented with up to that point. Characters make inexplicable decisions, then a bunch of shit happens for some reason, then we all learned about wish sandwiches or something.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Basically this entire movie is the bullshit slapstick sequence from the opening sequence of Superman II

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
it was pretty shitty, but I enjoyed seeing their presentation of Washington DC in 1984. Every scene with Chris Pine was unfunny tryhardism.

famicommander

15 Year Member
it was pretty shitty, but I enjoyed seeing their presentation of Washington DC in 1984. Every scene with Chris Pine was unfunny tryhardism.

They had to bring back Pine because these idiots in charge of the film series starring the most iconic female comic book hero of all time keep writing their movies so that their titular hero just sits around moping about her fucking boyfriend.

It's like an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer except:
1. Buffy episodes don't take 3 hours
2. Buffy always makes the right choice because it's the right choice, and then the melodrama comes from how that choice affects her life. In these movies the melodrama comes from whether or not Wonder Woman is going to do the right things in the first place.
3. Buffy is a show written in the 90s about a high schooler while this movie is written in 2020 about an ageless demigoddess

Like, we've already seen Wonder Woman do her coming of age "get over her own bullshit" story in the first flim. And we've already seen Wonder Woman in her finished state, when she's more or less the Wonder Woman we know from the comics in Batman vs Superman and Justice League (whatever the numerous problems with those movies, Wonder Woman herself is well characterized in them). So then we just have this period of 80 years in between where Diana is just in limbo from a progression standoint.

I just don't think this movie progresses Diana past where she is at the end of the first movie, nor does it move her closer towards where she is in the movies set later in the timeline.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
What We Do in the Shadows: I can't believe I slept on this for so long. I laughed out loud multiple times. LOVED Petyr. Gonna have to watch the TV show.

WW84: I loved seeing the mall. Other than that, I nearly turned it off. People have already mentioned it's a mess and doesn't make sense, so I don't have a whole lot to add there (other than to reiterate that it's ridiculous that a script about a wish-granting rock got green-lit), but there were actually a fine details that I did like...

Spoiler:

Kid-Diana's big mistake is literally looking back. It's why she gets whacked with the tree branch and falls off her horsey and loses the competition. Adult Diana's big mistake is looking back to the past and not moving forward. By bringing Steve back (I think that's his name...) she loses her powers.

She and Steve have a moment when they're watching fireworks diffused through the clouds. That's the happiness high point of the movie. But at the happiness low point, Diana watches ominous thunder through the cloud cover.

Kristen Wiig said she liked Diana's cheetah print shirt. By wishing she were more like Diana, she actually became a cheetah-she-beast.

I also noticed that the mall thief was reused as a cop. WTF.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Knowing this now, I don’t think it’s possible for me not watch this movie.

If you think Gal is hot, you'll sit through it...we did. I mentioned she's the only thing going for the movie.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you think Gal is hot, you'll sit through it...we did. I mentioned she's the only thing going for the movie.

I thought Wiig was great as Cheetah. She was the only thing that really worked in the movie.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I thought Wiig was great as Cheetah. She was the only thing that really worked in the movie.

Yeah, she was in a way better movie than everybody else and nobody told her.

Except the fight scene when she finally fully transformed. Shit sucked.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
LMBO holy shit at the moment we needed a blockbuster to keep our spirits up and keep us occupied for a couple hours we get the 84 turd instead. This has probably cemented the DC movies as not worth seeing anymore for the remaining fans that held out after Batman VS Superman.

Just let Disney buy WB and let it be over with.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, she was in a way better movie than everybody else and nobody told her.

Except the fight scene when she finally fully transformed. Shit sucked.

The fight scene was silly CG doodoo, but other than that, she was good
Spoiler:
could see her in the next one, although more likely that Wiig would say now at this point.

famicommander

15 Year Member
LMBO holy shit at the moment we needed a blockbuster to keep our spirits up and keep us occupied for a couple hours we get the 84 turd instead. This has probably cemented the DC movies as not worth seeing anymore for the remaining fans that held out after Batman VS Superman.

Just let Disney buy WB and let it be over with.

In terms of the whole series, based on budget vs return and assuming 2.5-3X budget to break even
Man of Steel - minor bomb (under 3X budget, tentpole franchise)
Batman vs Superman - minor success 3.5X budget (bottom fell out after the reviews dropped)
Suicide Squad - hit (4.3X budget)
Wonder Woman - big hit (over 5.5X budget)
Justice League - major bomb (under 2.2X budget)
Aquaman - mega hit (over 7X budget)
Shazam - hit (3.7X budget)
Birds of Prey - minor bomb (~2.4X budget) (one of the first big budget films that had the China rug pulled out from under its totals due to COVID)
Wonder Woman 84 - who the fuck knows what this means anymore with the HBO Max shit but they already greenlit a third one with Jenkins back to write and direct

Next one is the Suicide Squad sequel. First one was a horrible movie but it made money. This time they fired the director and hired the Guardians of the Galaxy guy so we'll see how it goes.

After that is The Flash, which has a universe wide reboot built into its script so if they don't completely fuck that movie up they can start relatively fresh from there. That one is the one they're bringing Michael Keaton's Batman back for.

And then there's The Batman movie, which actually has nothing to do with the established DC film universe and they smartly hired the dude from the most recent Planet of the Apes trilogy to direct it. If the Batman movie doesn't suck they'll be fine.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The fight scene was silly CG doodoo, but other than that, she was good
Spoiler:
could see her in the next one, although more likely that Wiig would say now at this point.

The main story should have been WW vs Cheetah with the wish stone a minor subplot. Rather than WW saving the world it could have been her stopping Cheetah from (fill in the blank) in a city.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
In terms of the whole series, based on budget vs return and assuming 2.5-3X budget to break even
Man of Steel - minor bomb (under 3X budget, tentpole franchise)
Batman vs Superman - minor success 3.5X budget (bottom fell out after the reviews dropped)
Suicide Squad - hit (4.3X budget)
Wonder Woman - big hit (over 5.5X budget)
Justice League - major bomb (under 2.2X budget)
Aquaman - mega hit (over 7X budget)
Shazam - hit (3.7X budget)
Birds of Prey - minor bomb (~2.4X budget) (one of the first big budget films that had the China rug pulled out from under its totals due to COVID)
Wonder Woman 84 - who the fuck knows what this means anymore with the HBO Max shit but they already greenlit a third one with Jenkins back to write and direct

Next one is the Suicide Squad sequel. First one was a horrible movie but it made money. This time they fired the director and hired the Guardians of the Galaxy guy so we'll see how it goes.

After that is The Flash, which has a universe wide reboot built into its script so if they don't completely fuck that movie up they can start relatively fresh from there. That one is the one they're bringing Michael Keaton's Batman back for.

And then there's The Batman movie, which actually has nothing to do with the established DC film universe and they smartly hired the dude from the most recent Planet of the Apes trilogy to direct it. If the Batman movie doesn't suck they'll be fine.
Everything we've seen of the Batman movie looks promising.

Flash is going to be another completely misjudged train wreck. Maybe the worst one they've foisted on us so far.

Suicide Squad may be okay, in that it looks like they're aiming for dumb on purpose. They're taking all the ridiculousness inherent in the genre and ramping it up even further.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The main story should have been WW vs Cheetah with the wish stone a minor subplot. Rather than WW saving the world it could have been her stopping Cheetah from (fill in the blank) in a city.

That’s what I was honestly expecting from the start. And I guess it can be the next movie, since one person refused to rescind.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
They had to bring back Pine because these idiots in charge of the film series starring the most iconic female comic book hero of all time keep writing their movies so that their titular hero just sits around moping about her fucking boyfriend.

It's like an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer except:
1. Buffy episodes don't take 3 hours
2. Buffy always makes the right choice because it's the right choice, and then the melodrama comes from how that choice affects her life. In these movies the melodrama comes from whether or not Wonder Woman is going to do the right things in the first place.
3. Buffy is a show written in the 90s about a high schooler while this movie is written in 2020 about an ageless demigoddess

Like, we've already seen Wonder Woman do her coming of age "get over her own bullshit" story in the first flim. And we've already seen Wonder Woman in her finished state, when she's more or less the Wonder Woman we know from the comics in Batman vs Superman and Justice League (whatever the numerous problems with those movies, Wonder Woman herself is well characterized in them). So then we just have this period of 80 years in between where Diana is just in limbo from a progression standoint.

I just don't think this movie progresses Diana past where she is at the end of the first movie, nor does it move her closer towards where she is in the movies set later in the timeline.

The same writer will be handling the third installment. But I think this one is over before it starts. HBO Max was also a bad medium. The image was often too grainy, when it should UHD all the way.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So, Tenet, WW84, Midnight Sky all sucked.

The Rental is about the only movie of the year I remember liking.