Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Mank- Pretty good, Oldman was great as usual. Could have been a bit shorter though.

If you don't know it's about the guy that wrote Citizen Kane and it's directed by David Fincher.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Did he know that the guy who he talked with in person during episode 2 who looks exactly like Palpatine was Palpatine? Gee, let's think about this.

Uhhh your math is rock solid, Quartermain. The only problem is no one else figured it out either. Miss me with that he was suppressing his power level shenanigans

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Uhhh your math is rock solid, Quartermain.

I like your new 'Uhhh' approach, Nemo ;).

Watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Connery (RIP) agreed to appear as Quatermain despite not understanding the script and got paid US$17 million for it. Despite not understanding the script either, I actually agreed to pay for watching it. Unfortunately, Alan Moore screen adaptations are like video games based on movies made for english home computers... uhhh.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I like your new 'Uhhh' approach, Nemo ;).

Watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Connery (RIP) agreed to appear as Quatermain despite not understanding the script and got paid US$17 million for it. Despite not understanding the script either, I actually agreed to pay for watching it. Unfortunately, Alan Moore screen adaptations are like video games based on movies made for english home computers... uhhh.

That's some straight up serendipity shit that I referenced LXG and you watched it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Uhhh your math is rock solid, Quartermain. The only problem is no one else figured it out either. Miss me with that he was suppressing his power level shenanigans

What character who interacted in person with both Palpatine and Sidious did not figure it out? There isn't one.

Unfortunately, Alan Moore screen adaptations are like video games based on movies made for english home computers... uhhh.
The first 3/4 of V For Vendetta isn't bad, even if simplified and the producers moved the goalposts a bit.

And, to be honest, the movie version of Evey is a more believable character (ignoring the accent) than Moore's creation was. Comics Evey was dumb as a post, making her transformation beyond implausible.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Assassination Nation - basically an even more violent and nihilistic take on the "Fort Collins" episode of South Park. The feminism was a little overwhelming at times but the rest of the tone was nasty enough to carry the movie where it wanted to go. Can't decide if I loved the ending or if I hated it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The first 3/4 of V For Vendetta isn't bad, even if simplified and the producers moved the goalposts a bit.

And, to be honest, the movie version of Evey is a more believable character (ignoring the accent) than Moore's creation was. Comics Evey was dumb as a post, making her transformation beyond implausible.

V for Vendetta isn't genius but it's at least competently made and there's something kind of theatrical (the theater, not movie theater) about it. A lot of small sets and tightly shot scenes. Interesting choices. Plus I love the soundtrack. I'm sure Alan Moore hates it (the old crank hates everything) and it does lose a good bit of the punch of the original story but for a 100 million dollar Hollywood movie, it gets the main thrust across.

It's not nearly the catastrophe that Watchmen or the League is. Hell, even Watchmen has its moments (the opening sequence in particular) when Snyder isn't jerking himself off in slow motion.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
V for Vendetta isn't genius but it's at least competently made and there's something kind of theatrical (the theater, not movie theater) about it. A lot of small sets and tightly shot scenes. Interesting choices. Plus I love the soundtrack. I'm sure Alan Moore hates it (the old crank hates everything) and it does lose a good bit of the punch of the original story but for a 100 million dollar Hollywood movie, it gets the main thrust across.
The end fucks it up badly (the idea that not one of those cops would panic and open fire on the protesters overrunning them is magical thinking at its worst), but it's watchable. Some stretches, like Evey in the cell, are even great. And yeah, the score is good.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
That's some straight up serendipity shit that I referenced LXG and you watched it.

I'm reading the comic book right now, so I thought that it would be worth a stream of the movie. Ha, I guess I can always watch something worse to think better of it. Anyway, the book is great, might not be the best of Moore's, but certainly his most entertaining one. Even more now, when I'll imagine you as Nemo and STK as Taduki driven Allan Quatermain.

Yeah, Taduki... that makes me wonder if the role of Quatermain isn't better suited for you, Sage, and you were just projecting. Imagine ng.com as Lady Ragnall's place, you coming here for Taduki to dive into your glorious past and relive it once again, and when the supply of the forum leaves is exhausted, and you're unable to get more, you'll switch to opium as a result.

Just kidding, of course ;).

But considering how important and well made the source material is, 'isn't bad' is still rather underwhelming.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
....so yeah. We probably aren't going to get any more Dune. Denis Villeneuve blasting parent company for releasing Dune on streaming services and disrespecting the art of Cinema.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
....so yeah. We probably aren't going to get any more Dune. Denis Villeneuve blasting parent company for releasing Dune on streaming services and disrespecting the art of Cinema.

If the movie makes money or drives HBO subscriptions we'll get more. If not, we won't.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Class Action Park- Doc about Action Park in NJ in the 80s-early 90s. I've never been there but it brought back memories of other insanely dangerous water parks from when I was a kid.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Don't get your hopes up too high.

I think Warner is going to try really hard to make it a thing. Disney has their space franchise with Star Wars, CBS Viacom has theirs with Star Trek. WB wants one too.

They're also doing a prequel TV series, so they're committed to at least a movie and a TV series. I think unless it's a complete disaster they'll at least do the one sequel.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think Warner is going to try really hard to make it a thing. Disney has their space franchise with Star Wars, CBS Viacom has theirs with Star Trek. WB wants one too.

They're also doing a prequel TV series, so they're committed to at least a movie and a TV series. I think unless it's a complete disaster they'll at least do the one sequel.
It doesn't matter what they want (and it's not like Star Trek isn't in the dumps as well). Once WB pushed back the date a year, they doomed the whole project. This never works. Once the public has been hyped once, that's it. It's over. Now, when it finally comes out, even though people haven't seen it yet, it will feel like an old movie and they'll have already moved on to something else. You'll see.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Tenet (finally) - same as most people on here- meh. Nolan's getting a little too cute at the expense of coherence. Also, for a $200 million movie, you'd think they could mix the sound right.

Triple Threat - Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, and Michael Jai White all in the same action movie, good stuff (and also Michael Bisping, who is actually not a terrible actor). White and Adkins(!!) chew the scenery something fierce and everyone is clearly having a good time. Good action, but could have been tighter choreography if Uwais or Jaa had done it. I mean, they're right there.

Extraordinary Mission - same guy who made Infernal Affairs (upon which The Departed is based). Definitely not on the level of IA, but still pretty good.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Ready or Not

A newlywed bride must play a game to join a family and draws the wrong card forcing her into a night of fighting for her life. It's a fun little horror comedy. Nothing great but it has moments.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ready or Not

A newlywed bride must play a game to join a family and draws the wrong card forcing her into a night of fighting for her life. It's a fun little horror comedy. Nothing great but it has moments.

I liked Samara Weaving in that. If you enjoyed it, watch Guns Akimbo.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I found it on Prime and thought it was pretty good. Thank you for the suggestion. It reminded me of American Ultra which funnily enough was going to play next.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Midnight Sky - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Probably not the reaction George Clooney would hope for. Awful. Hopelessly boring and poorly paced for two hours then it ends with maybe the dumbest "twist" I've ever seen.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Probably not the reaction George Clooney would hope for. Awful. Hopelessly boring and poorly paced for two hours then it ends with maybe the dumbest "twist" I've ever seen.

The Miley Cyrus song is also complete shit.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Wonder Woman 1984 I'll list the good things...Gal is in it.

I won't be watching it again. Saving the world from wishes...okay.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

We also watched it, and what twist? If you mean the girl, I don't think that was a twist for anyone over an IQ of 70 or who has ever watched a movie in their lives, and I'd like to give you more credit than that. They telegraphed it too much for it to have been meant as a twist. I don't even think it was meant to be a twist for Clooney's character. I think he understood the entire time from the cereal bowl forward that he was unraveling.

I thought it was okay, not great, but not horrible... until he fell into the water. That bothered me more than any of the things that bothered you. The people who write and film movies seem to have no idea what happens to a human body when you suddenly fall into way sub zero temperature water. And also what it's like trying to swim in any temperature water wearing clothes, a jacket, and boots. Anyway, even if he could have gotten out of the water magically, they seem to not realize what would happen to a person who was now wet from arctic water and was now outside in sub zero temperatures in wet clothes for at least another full day. If they had skipped that scene, let the bag with his medical shit fall into the water but keep him dry, I might have been able to give the movie a pass for the other stuff.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My kids watched Soul today while I napped in a recliner. From the sound of their laughs and cheers they seemed to like it and, I got a nice nap so win win.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wonder Woman 1984 I'll list the good things...Gal is in it.

I won't be watching it again. Saving the world from wishes...okay.
I can concur with this review.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk