What's the main thing behind all of this "occupy" stuff?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Everyone benefits when the rich are neither punished or rewarded for being rich.
I think STK said it pretty well in the other occupy thread:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...pywallstreet&p=3268993&viewfull=1#post3268993

and here before:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...pywallstreet&p=3268965&viewfull=1#post3268965

Me I love capitalism. I hold nothing against people who have nice things or have ammassed wealth. I really idolize them when they've done it the right way.
I like nice things myself. I feel though it gets harder and harder everyday to actually live the American dream and get ahead. I also realized awhile ago that it seems if you want to really win it’s almost impossible to do with all of your morals and ethics intact. If you want to win you've got to cheat.
Was I the only one that wanted to close his Facebook account after watching the social network? I just opened the damned thing too.
It shows the perfect model on how to win in the US today. If he’d had more wealth before or liquid assets he’d really been able to dick people over.

I've also always disagreed with the Reaganomics that money trickles down. It doesn't it flows up. The rich stash it away and poor spend it before the days over. When markets tighten up it really amplifies this fact. I think that's the point we're at right now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Capitalism is great, but you're right. Most people can't get rich because they're either living beyond their means (trying to live comfortably in an area that has jobs, ie DC, NY), or buying stupid stuff.

The problem I have is that you see people like Lakshmi Mittal, who came from a well to do family and is now one of the richest men in the world, and you see how he did it, and there's more suspicion and disgust than respect. Making money off of cheating, slavery, or other criminal acts is wrong. But to some, being rich and getting away with crimes is cool. There is no karma. Mittal will never get his comeuppance. And many others will denigrate their fellow man in the spirit of wealth chasing. That's where we are in the world now.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
can someone tell me why students at universities are sitting down/protesting/occupying wall street?

i heard a row of them at the UNiversity of California, Davis, got pepper sprayed.

why are students doing this at their own colleges? what? protesting tuition fees? deal with it motherfuckers, tuition rises every single year.

and why weren't people up in arms about rich people ten years ago? just because people lost their jobs they're angry at others who are way better off than they? sounds a lot like germany and jews about 80 years ago, looking for a scapegoat.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
can someone tell me why students at universities are sitting down/protesting/occupying wall street?

i heard a row of them at the UNiversity of California, Davis, got pepper sprayed.

why are students doing this at their own colleges? what? protesting tuition fees? deal with it motherfuckers, tuition rises every single year.

and why weren't people up in arms about rich people ten years ago? just because people lost their jobs they're angry at others who are way better off than they? sounds a lot like germany and jews about 80 years ago, looking for a scapegoat.

You're just your parents waiting to happen, Aaron.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
sometimes i feel like i'm the only rational person in the world, Charles

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That's pretty much the feeling of every single patient who is being locked up in a mental ward.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think a lot of the rage is misguided. I don't understand the correlation between the superelite making the rest of the chumps lose their jobs.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
A fun statement I read by an economist recently was that inheritance is the largest predictor of wealth, not effort.

Absolutely. It takes money to make money (in general). The people who put forth the effort provide for generations to come if they are all smart about it.
I'm assuming this wasn't a counter statement to what I originally said about the 99% feeling entitled other peoples wealth.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think a lot of the rage is misguided. I don't understand the correlation between the superelite making the rest of the chumps lose their jobs.

You mean that by taking away the jobs from Americans, and giving them to people overseas for less, thereby shifting their residual wealth abroad, as opposed to internally, somehow escapes your senses? I'm not surprised.

cannonball

15 Year Member
You mean that by taking away the jobs from Americans, and giving them to people overseas for less, thereby shifting their residual wealth abroad, as opposed to internally, somehow escapes your senses? I'm not surprised.

People will complain no matter what though. If for example Apple started manufacturing their iProducts here instead of somewhere in Asia, people would bitch about how expensive the products are now. As a result, less people will buy Apple products. Their stock would plummet; losing millions of people money. Then they'll cut their work force down to compensate. So maybe they'll net a positive # of jobs in the end, but everyone invested in the company will be broke and your average American won't be able to afford their product anymore.

It almost seems like it's worth it to keep some extra coin in your average Americans pocket and keep mass producing iPads in China.

Marek

Banned
Me I love capitalism. I hold nothing against people who have nice things or have ammassed wealth. I really idolize them when they've done it the right way.
I like nice things myself. I feel though it gets harder and harder everyday to actually live the American dream and get ahead. I also realized awhile ago that it seems if you want to really win it’s almost impossible to do with all of your morals and ethics intact. If you want to win you've got to cheat.
Was I the only one that wanted to close his Facebook account after watching the social network? I just opened the damned thing too.
It shows the perfect model on how to win in the US today. If he’d had more wealth before or liquid assets he’d really been able to dick people over.

I've also always disagreed with the Reaganomics that money trickles down. It doesn't it flows up. The rich stash it away and poor spend it before the days over. When markets tighten up it really amplifies this fact. I think that's the point we're at right now.

:buttrock:

Marek

Banned

Well you could try thinking hard, reading Chomsky's "Profit Over People" or William Easterly's "White Man's Burden". If you dont want to read books, although both of those are short then www.dailykos.com is a great online resource.

But rest assured that the correlation between superelites deregulating capitalism and job loss both exists and is proven fact.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I find if assuming that people disregard how the rich screw over people to get rich. Not just the poor/middle classes, but each other too.

Funny thing is, the rich don't give a fuck about you, whether you support their "right" to keep their dirty money. Actually now, it's your money, bail-out money -- aside from the money made by dishonest loan sharking, greed fueled fees, tax manipulation and job cuts. We are not even talking about all the people in other countries they are fucking over to get rich, as in the NAFTA situation.

The rich would throw us ALL (yeah you too) under the buss to keep their billions or even millions, while we fight over the crumbs. It won't get better, as greed grows as it is fed. Corporate greed isn't virtuous, it's a cancer of civilization. I think corporate America is doing a really good job turning the working/middle class against each other, pulling the wool over the eyes of the people they will potentially fuck in the ass. The ones who haven't been affected are lucky and are ignorant to others hard times.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

So how you enjoying basketball season this year?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Absolutely. It takes money to make money (in general). The people who put forth the effort provide for generations to come if they are all smart about it.
I'm assuming this wasn't a counter statement to what I originally said about the 99% feeling entitled other peoples wealth.

The statement means that effort doesn't equate to wealth. It's luck and happenstance. I agree people should try their best, but this mindset that you'll be alright if you are trying hard is beyond short sited.

cannonball

15 Year Member
The statement means that effort doesn't equate to wealth. It's luck and happenstance. I agree people should try their best, but this mindset that you'll be alright if you are trying hard is beyond short sited.

Wealth is created from hard work and ambition over generations.

BTW, trying hard is better than doing nothing but complaining about people who are wealthy or how they came to be at some occupy<your favorite park that now has human feces all over it>. Your average American wants everything handed to them though. Instant gratification, an absurd sense of entitlement, and lack of good work ethic are what keep your average person down.

Marek

Banned

BTW, trying hard is better than doing nothing but complaining about people who are wealthy or how they came to be at some occupy<your favorite park that now has human feces all over it>. Your average American wants everything handed to them though. Instant gratification, an absurd sense of entitlement, and lack of good work ethic are what keep your average person down.

You have reduced the OWS criticism to 'poor people' against 'rich people', and are ignoring everything else.

If the movement was actually the way you describe it, then you would be right.

But you ignore the culture of tolerated criminality in the financial world and the US government embracing outsourcing.

OWS is calling for indictments of executives who committed fraud and then took taxpayer bailouts. The ultimate example of - "American wants everything handed to them though. Instant gratification, an absurd sense of entitlement, and lack of good work ethic" to take your phrasing.

Yeah you used mass production of Ipads as an example and you have a point. But what about all the tech support jobs and other telemarketing that got sent to India? Why should Indians be allowed to do an Americans job for 1/3 the pay? And dont even start to talk about the time zone difference.

In fact maybe the question is not "why should they be allowed to do an Americans job for 1/3 the pay", but "WHY SHOULD THERE BE TAX BREAKS ENCOURAGING SUCH OUTSOURCING?"

Yeah thats more appropriate.

I would go on, but you are just one of those guys who says "wtf-ever go get a job and stfu"

and frankly I wish you'd get laid off.

But hey. I want to be a criminal and get everything handed to me too. Isnt that the American Dream? Wealth = ambition over generations? Oh man. There is so much hilarious shit I could say to that.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

You talk like a fucking 5-year-old who had the situation explained to him by his mommy and is now proudly repeating it with no idea what any of it means. Sit the fuck down.

Marek

Banned
You talk like a fucking 5-year-old who had the situation explained to him by his mommy and is now proudly repeating it with no idea what any of it means. Sit the fuck down.

But, at the end of the day, isnt a 'tokengamer' a child anyway? By the numbers, that is.

Regardless, Orson and I are happy with this post.

1281a9ff38a67b7d12b740101e42212d.gif

Last edited: