What's the main thing behind all of this "occupy" stuff?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I haven't been paying much attention and all the news talks about is the police issues and never talk about what their reasons are. So what's the main cause they're fighting for?

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I think, wait for it, they want more social fairness in the world.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's about smart meters. You're missing the boat here.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I think these groups have good intentions, just mixed messages. I've seen interviews with several members of one of these "Occupy _" protest groups and each one has a different idea of what they're fighting for.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
its supposed to be about how 1% of the people in this country hold all the money/power & they want that all evened out(for the most part) among the entire population. its about equalness/fairness for all.

I hope this whole thing expands. all the poverty/struggles/loss I've seen over the years both in person and on.tv/news made me wonder when the people would eventually say "enough is enough" and do something about our f'ed up government.

SSS

neo retired
I think alot of the people left might just be transients using it as an excuse for a free place to crash. At least in Portland anyway. There's tons of young "nomads" that just wander the highways up here. I don't think I've seen one older homeless guy up here like you'd see in most cities.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
its supposed to be about how 1% of the people in this country hold all the money/power & they want that all evened out(for the most part) among the entire population. its about equalness/fairness for all.

What did the 99% do to earn the money they feel entitled to in the name of "fairness"?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
it's not about giving the 99% money they didn't work for, it's about taking corporate money out of politics so politicians actually work for everyone and not just their donors. They also pretty clearly wanna get rid of the bush tax cuts.

99% don't deserve the 1%'s money.... they deserve equal representation by the government so they actually have a chance of making their own money someday.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's a bunch of next generation hobo's with nothing better to do than try and stop honest people get to work in the morning...

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I would say that it's a combination of everything that's been said here.

It began as an attempt to rally the people to push for campaign and tax code reform to help "even up" the opportunity for acquisition and growth of wealth between the upper and middle/lower classes...all with non-violent protest and grassroots activism.

What it has grown into is a bunch of sound and fury for nothing, with people who never really understood the message assuming that this is all about entitlements they are owed, all while "occupying" and, occasionally, bubbling over into violent mob mentalities.

It reminds me of New Year's Eve, 1999. Instead of being excited for the new millennium or preparing for the worst, most people I knew were getting set to riot if Y2K happened in the end. It's just people looking for an excuse to point fingers and lash out, maybe walk away with a neat story or some cool swag while thinking that they can look back at events and say "I was there, man. I was part of it all!" when in truth it won't be relevant past the next presidential election.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
What it has grown into is a bunch of sound and fury for nothing...
I can totally agree with this. For over a month, in the San Francisco Bay Area, there's been multiple cities in which people have been "occupying" places to send a message. What seems to escape them is that, despite the passing weeks, not once has ANYONE bothered to talk with the protesters, listen to their qualms in an "official" manner, or aim toward changing the direction of the society (local or wide-spreading) in general.

So what is the point of a protest when it becomes quite obvious that no one gives a damn about anything except the problems these people cause for others?--I'm on the side of the "message" of these protests, but c'mon, if politicians don't give a shit, powerful businessmen don't care, and even something as small (but nevertheless influential) as a local small-businesses organisation can't be brought to be influenced by all this effort, shouldn't it be clear that the current methods aren't working and "remaining firm" in protest isn't anything but a waste of time and energy?

Some people are really hardcore and want to make a difference, but if they were smart about it, they'd be working on developing a new plan-of-attack which could, at the minimum, use the continued media coverage and numbers of poaching-peoples to their advantage.

Last edited:
Some people are really hardcore and want to make a difference, but if they were smart about it, they'd be working on developing a new plan-of-attack which could, at the minimum, use the continued media coverage and numbers of poaching-peoples to their advantage.

That's what it comes down to, really. It's a bunch of loosely correlated complaint and dissatisfaction, but it lacks a clear message and has absolutely no answers, just problems. And I don't buy the 99% stuff either. There's a group there that represents some portion of America but it's certainly not 99%. That's just some thin marketing.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
That's what it comes down to, really. It's a bunch of loosely correlated complaint and dissatisfaction, but it lacks a clear message and has absolutely no answers, just problems. And I don't buy the 99% stuff either. There's a group there that represents some portion of America but it's certainly not 99%. That's just some thin marketing.

1% of the population doesn't actually control 99% of the wealth, more like a third of the wealth. About 10% of Americans control 70% of the wealth. The 99 to 1 disparity is much more affecting, though, and better for a rally cry.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza

I don't know but maybe if they didn't have this "sane" individual, people might care...nah.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
did apple receive a corporate bailout I am not aware of? I hear alot of talk about hipsters and ipods, I guess they must have got a bailout, otherwise talking about ipods is pretty irrelevant.

What's with nerds hating on hipsters anyway? do we just need another group to treat like we are treated? did you hate on emos too when that was the fashionable group to bandwagon against? you're just as much of a whore for trends as the hipsters you mock. I'm rick james bitch

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Its because the 1% are behind golden week, which fucked up KOF XII's release.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Occupy wall street is pretty much the internet IRL. A lot of pissed off weirdos coming together to bitch about shit. Everyone thinks their opinion or topic is correct and more important. Trying to convince everyone else they are right to no avail.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What did the 99% do to earn the money they feel entitled to in the name of "fairness"?

exactly.

And people say a lot of the 1% didn't do anything/inherited it/etc...who gives a fuck. They're sure a helluva lot smarter than the average joe.