Connecticut Elementary School Shooting (AKA "Gun Control Debate" thread...)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Though I would say that regardless of how many signatures you get to deport Piers Morgan, we will easily get more to keep him away :)

look, he doesn't have to go home. he just can't stay here.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
This is a classless act

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Yeah, there's a freedom of information act. And some states will list conceal carry permits publicly. But still

I wonder if the paper would change their tune if someone made an interactive map showing all paper employees' properties. Label summer homes as such.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/blogger-...-map-publishes-addresses-of-newspapers-staff/

Blogger Retaliates Against Gun Map, Publishes Addresses Of Newspaper’s Staff

by Meenal Vamburkar

8:50 am, December 27th, 2012

On Thursday, a blogger took to CNN’s Early Start to explain why he decided to publish the addresses of many of the The Journal News‘ staff after the paper published the names and addresses of gun permit holders in several counties.

“Well, I just thought they were being hypocrites,” said Christopher Fountain said. “In the aftermath of Newtown, it was obviously one tragedy, but somehow they were conflating legal gun owners with some crazed tormented devil up in Newtown and putting the two together. And I was offended by that and I wondered how they would like it if their addresses were published.”

Fountain began by publishing the home addresses of some of the newspaper’s staffers and later linked to an interactive Google map displaying the information.

Asked to respond to the newspaper’s justification for publishing the information (some citizens “would like lawmakers to expand the amount of information the public can find out about gun owners” after the Newtown shooting), Fountain wasn’t buying it.

“Well, she could have just published the number of gun permits, which is actually quite small, if she wanted to show an issue that there are 2,000 legally registered guns in her county, fine,” he said. “But the fact that they put the addresses — I’ve received emails from abused women who were under protective order and in hiding, and they’re terribly afraid that now their names and addresses are all over the Internet and accessible through that map.”

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
“But the fact that they put the addresses — I’ve received emails from abused women who were under protective order and in hiding, and they’re terribly afraid that now their names and addresses are all over the Internet and accessible through that map.”

And that was the kicker.

That information should never have been made public.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/blogger-...-map-publishes-addresses-of-newspapers-staff/

Blogger Retaliates Against Gun Map, Publishes Addresses Of Newspaper’s Staff

by Meenal Vamburkar

8:50 am, December 27th, 2012

On Thursday, a blogger took to CNN’s Early Start to explain why he decided to publish the addresses of many of the The Journal News‘ staff after the paper published the names and addresses of gun permit holders in several counties.

“Well, I just thought they were being hypocrites,” said Christopher Fountain said. “In the aftermath of Newtown, it was obviously one tragedy, but somehow they were conflating legal gun owners with some crazed tormented devil up in Newtown and putting the two together. And I was offended by that and I wondered how they would like it if their addresses were published.”

Fountain began by publishing the home addresses of some of the newspaper’s staffers and later linked to an interactive Google map displaying the information.

Asked to respond to the newspaper’s justification for publishing the information (some citizens “would like lawmakers to expand the amount of information the public can find out about gun owners” after the Newtown shooting), Fountain wasn’t buying it.

“Well, she could have just published the number of gun permits, which is actually quite small, if she wanted to show an issue that there are 2,000 legally registered guns in her county, fine,” he said. “But the fact that they put the addresses — I’ve received emails from abused women who were under protective order and in hiding, and they’re terribly afraid that now their names and addresses are all over the Internet and accessible through that map.”

Here comes the lynch mob, with guns instead of pitchforks.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Here comes the lynch mob, with guns instead of pitchforks.

No, no, no! A gun-carrying society is a POLITE society. At worst, that newspaper would've received a strongly-worded letter...

Criminals, on the other hand, don't give a shit. (also, turn-about is fair-play)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
People still bring this up whenever I tell them I'm an American. America, as a whole, lost a lot of face with this incident.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
People still bring this up whenever I tell them I'm an American. America, as a whole, lost a lot of face with this incident.

By "people" do you mean Chinese, because I would think they would be more worried about their own government sanctioned atrocities, rather than random crazies in 'Murrica.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
A friend said that the Remington factory is receiving bomb threats related to this. It sort of made me lol that peace-mongers would call in gun threats.

Edit: I should note that this is not confirmed, she just mentioned that they attempted to visit and they normally give a tour, but they aren't at the moment and this was the reason given.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Then whomever you're talking to are closed minded idiots and not worth talking to.

Do the innocent citizens of China lose face based on the horrific acts of their government?

Nope.

Anyone that will classify hundreds of millions of people based on the act of 1 is not only ignorant but also stupid. Any time I've been evolved with a foreigner that starts a conversation with "Well, YOU Americans..." I stop them in their tracks...because there is no "we Americans" anymore than there are "those Chinese" or "those French" or "those Germans"...

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A friend said that the Remington factory is receiving bomb threats related to this. It sort of made me lol that peace-mongers would call in gun threats.

Edit: I should note that this is not confirmed, she just mentioned that they attempted to visit and they normally give a tour, but they aren't at the moment and this was the reason given.

One of my go-to gun stores was receiving threats of violence after the shooting.

It's some great irony.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
One of my go-to gun stores was receiving threats of violence after the shooting.

It's some great irony.

i'll bet they were threatening to come in there knives blazing.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
i'll bet they were threatening to come in there knives blazing.

sept_11_2.jpg

that's funny.

lithy

20 Year Member
I'm not sure if it is because I can't tell how serious that reply is or what, but I laughed.

Sorry America.

Edit: All seriousness about the event itself aside, that is a really incredible picture.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm not sure if it is because I can't tell how serious that reply is or what, but I laughed.

Sorry America.

Edit: All seriousness about the event itself aside, that is a really incredible picture.

It is horribly beautiful...like the falling man pictures. But to me, they're sacred pictures. Many people were dying the second that picture was taken and it moves me to this day thinking about it...to use it as a sight gag prop is disgraceful...

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Funny or not funny...

Think about what a few crazy people can get done by holding civilians at knife point. It's a bit alarming.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Funny or not funny...

Think about what a few crazy people can get done by holding civilians at knife point. It's a bit alarming.

Our society changed that day...any such nonsense on a plane now is met with extreme force from anyone within reach. The "sit, be quiet and everything will be ok" mentality died with those buildings...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oddly enough a coworker was telling me about the collapse of that building earlier in the week.

I wonder what it's like to actually know the truth.

lithy

20 Year Member
It is horribly beautiful...like the falling man pictures. But to me, they're sacred pictures. Many people were dying the second that picture was taken and it moves me to this day thinking about it...to use it as a sight gag prop is disgraceful...

I think I fully blame the current decade (plus) long wars for desensitizing the public to the meaning of pictures like that. It seems so distant already.

Sorry to get off topic. My last post here until I buy my stupid ass a gun.

Oddly enough a coworker was telling me about the collapse of that building earlier in the week.

I wonder what it's like to actually know the truth.

My guess is...terrifying.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Funny or not funny...

my thats funny was a sarcastic reference to the knives blazing comment. pic is not funny at all. really shows there is no point to a ban on guns and puts the violent threats to the manufacturers and shops referenced into more perspective. like I said earlier if you decided it was the thing to do you could come up with a way without using a firearm.

sight gag? nope.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
then think about chopping someones neck out when they are standing near you distracted and off guard. not too hard if you are willing to do it?

aria

Former Moderator
Truthers are exactly the kind of people we needed mentioned in this thread to take it to it's emotional conclusion. They just seem perfectly matched. :lolz: