The New Fitness thread

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
so you guys don't do any aerobics? usually I run maybe three miles and then lift dumbbells for half an hour, I always thought that was a good way to add muscle - run and then lift.
someone correct me if i'm wrong here.

also, i eat peanut butter - is that ok? not to much, maybe just a few spoonfuls after a workout.

edit: 'not to much'? let my shame be seen for the world

Last edited:

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Glad to hear that this thread is motivating people! It has also motivated me.... Spike's speech basically has! I was in a comfort zone for a few weeks now, just doing my pull-ups and other stuff that is hard, but no real challenge to me anymore.
Change... today I was ripping some serious weights and I am still shaky... struggling to type like.

As for Lonesage's question re aerobics: I basically do all my gym/bodyweight workouts at super high intensity. That means that I usually smash it for 45 - 60 mins, i.e. hardly any breaks/rests. I just go hard for that time, which means it is basically an aerobic work-out as my heart rate is through the roof.
Peanut butter... yes it is awesome! I go through half a kilo of that stuff per week (mt roomie has some...). I make my own. Sure half a kilo is a lot... but I do not have any bodyfat issues.

In fact this is something else I have not mentioned before: I am a freak in a way that I sweat abnormally. I am constantly dripping... people are always amazed at this. It is good as it means I am constantly detoxing and I guess this is why I have next to no bodyfat. But on the down side I had to, for example, give up boxing here in Turkey as people freak out and as I am a health hazard due to people slipping in the puddles that I 'create'. So... good in some ways, but embarrassing in others - anybody ever heard of this/has any ideas why? I read once it has something to do with lymph glands... ??

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
so you guys don't do any aerobics? usually I run maybe three miles and then lift dumbbells for half an hour, I always thought that was a good way to add muscle - run and then lift.

also, i eat peanut butter - is that ok? not to much, maybe just a few spoonfuls after a workout.

all my routines are high-intensity interval type workouts; meaning, they're a combination of aerobic and anaerobic

as for running before or after you lift?

honestly? if you're just want to stay casually fit and don't have any specific goals, then to me, it's perfectly fine as long as you're doing at least something

the general consensus among most professionals is that you should run after lifting though, but again, i'm part of the interval training camp, so i say kill two birds with one stone and do both at the same time

as for PB? fuck yeah, i eat a ton of that shit

since i'm Paleo, i have a very high fat diet (probably 60-70% of my calories come from fat)

i also have the benefit of working at a store that does fresh-ground peanut butter and fresh-ground almond butter, so i'm never without a giant container of either

(side note: mix a spoonful of unrefined coconut oil into your peanut butter; it's amazing)

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
One of my friends got rid of his back problems with accupuncture. No matter if it's a placebo or not, it's worth a try IMO. If it works, it works, eh.

If anyone's interested in acupuncture I've tried out to help with a long term torn shoulder muscle injury, here's a summary below. If not it's very much tl;dr...

So, first session of acupuncture done. To be honest I’m happy and slightly disappointed with how it went. I went along feeling pretty dubious about the whole thing, seems like quackery to me, if it wasn’t for my physio recommending it I wouldn’t have gone. Got there and had to fill out the usual forms and waivers, then into the treatment room. Had an examination and then he told me what we’d be doing, which came as a surprise – we’d be doing a sports massage followed by acupuncture. The sports massage wasn’t mentioned beforehand.

The sports massage was the same as the usual sports massage – brutal and incredibly painful, but also something I feel needs to be done. Next up the acupuncture and it was nothing like I was expecting it to be – I guess I was expecting it to feel kind of tingly, but it didn’t at all, it made the muscles that the needles went into kind of spasm a bit, then I laid there on my front like that for twenty minutes in a kind of mild back spasm (he described it as a pulling sensation which I guess was pretty accurate) then he took them out. When he wiggled them around inside it was very odd. The whole thing was moderately unpleasant really, which often means it’s doing something good.

So, in summary, I’m happy that I got the sports massage at the beginning as that means even if the acupuncture was hocus pocus at least I got a strong massage out of it. But on the other hand if my shoulder does start to get better then I’ll never know if the acupuncture did anything or not. So guess on the acupuncture front I shall be remaining on the fence, leaning towards sceptical, but also surprised by the genuine physical response it had so therefore with some belief that it could do something.

I'll update if it seems to have worked or not in a couple of days, though it might take a few more sessions to get any benefit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thanks for replying, kraut 'n joe

In fact this is something else I have not mentioned before: I am a freak in a way that I sweat abnormally. I am constantly dripping... people are always amazed at this. It is good as it means I am constantly detoxing and I guess this is why I have next to no bodyfat. But on the down side I had to, for example, give up boxing here in Turkey as people freak out and as I am a health hazard due to people slipping in the puddles that I 'create'. So... good in some ways, but embarrassing in others - anybody ever heard of this/has any ideas why? I read once it has something to do with lymph glands... ??

Man this is gonna sound weird but I've had the same problem half my life, though it's not as bad as it used to be. It's called hyperhidrosis; this happen to you only when exercising or social situations as well (meaning, you get nervous around people, then you start to sweat)? No real cure as far as I'm aware. There are forums out there for people who suffer from it and can offer advice on how to deal.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,

edit: 'not to much'? let my shame be seen for the world

I don't do aerobic work unless you count Jump Rope rounds or the Heavy Bag rounds. Other than that the Kettlebell Ballistics take care of the heart and make you stronger. (10 minutes of KB Clean and Jerks with double 24kg/32kg will make your heart race)

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
as for PB? fuck yeah, i eat a ton of that shit

since i'm Paleo, i have a very high fat diet (probably 60-70% of my calories come from fat)

i also have the benefit of working at a store that does fresh-ground peanut butter and fresh-ground almond butter, so i'm never without a giant container of either
Do you just spread the stuff on a slice of (lets say) wheat bread or do you use it more as like something to dip stuff into, like apple slices. The only reason I ask is if you think having it on bread would possibly mean the carbs adding up after a while.

(Also, feel free to tell me I'm overthinking this waaay too much.)

:D

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Do you just spread the stuff on a slice of (lets say) wheat bread or do you use it more as like something to dip stuff into, like apple slices. The only reason I ask is if you think having it on bread would possibly mean the carbs adding up after a while.

(Also, feel free to tell me I'm overthinking this waaay too much.)

:D

i don't eat bread or fruit (on occasion i'll eat some berries) so i just eat it by the spoonful

most of the time i mix in some chia seeds and unrefined coconut oil--it's surprisingly tasty and is a nutrient powerhouse

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I need to start running again, skateboarding just doesn't cut it.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
skateboarding just doesn't cut it.

Seriously, because 13 years of street skating helped keep my girlish figure in check. Of course that was the majority of my free time from age 12-25.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I guess so, all trolling aside, need more sailing, heh.

Seriously, because 13 years of street skating helped keep my girlish figure in check. Of course that was the majority of my free time from age 12-25.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Man this is gonna sound weird but I've had the same problem half my life, though it's not as bad as it used to be. It's called hyperhidrosis; this happen to you only when exercising or social situations as well (meaning, you get nervous around people, then you start to sweat)? No real cure as far as I'm aware. There are forums out there for people who suffer from it and can offer advice on how to deal.

Woa... thanks man! Now I know :D

How do you mean it is not as bad for you anymore? Did it just get less or do you not work as hard any more - like could it not be just as 'bad' again if you started working out hard?
I guess I am lucky in that I am a handsome bastard, so I always kind of get away with it. People are surprised sometimes when they see me all suited up at a function, looking like I just walked through a shower like that. But like I say, a million dollar smile and a joke and it is ok.
Some fancy gyms on business trips have been weird about it once or twice. But on the whole I have always lived with it and been ok. Hell, I even choose to live in tropical climates, so it cannot be that bad for my psyche :)
Reading some articles after googling them term however.... interesting and shit yeah, that is me! Thanks for the heads-up!

@ AverageJOe... what, you do not eat fruit? Damn.... to me that is my staple. 5-a-day and all that :)
I eat PB with bread and with fruit, usually both together (Banana, PB sandwiches are still my fave snack!). I eat a ton of bread also.. always wholegrain/wheat. I do not care for carb or calorie counting. I have always eaten what I felt like.

Since this thread started I have been going double hard. Looking good. Gotta get some new pix up soon. Peace.i

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
i'm Paleo

Yes, you did mention that before. Looking it up now. Interesting... but I could not do it. I love fruits etc too much... I am also constantly craving a lot of things and thus eat them (healthy things... I live a fairly refined-sugar-free life).
Gonna check this diet out some more. Interesting indeed...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Woa... thanks man! Now I know :D

How do you mean it is not as bad for you anymore? Did it just get less or do you not work as hard any more - like could it not be just as 'bad' again if you started working out hard?
I guess I am lucky in that I am a handsome bastard, so I always kind of get away with it. People are surprised sometimes when they see me all suited up at a function, looking like I just walked through a shower like that. But like I say, a million dollar smile and a joke and it is ok.
Some fancy gyms on business trips have been weird about it once or twice. But on the whole I have always lived with it and been ok. Hell, I even choose to live in tropical climates, so it cannot be that bad for my psyche :)
Reading some articles after googling them term however.... interesting and shit yeah, that is me! Thanks for the heads-up!

@ AverageJOe... what, you do not eat fruit? Damn.... to me that is my staple. 5-a-day and all that :)
I eat PB with bread and with fruit, usually both together (Banana, PB sandwiches are still my fave snack!). I eat a ton of bread also.. always wholegrain/wheat. I do not care for carb or calorie counting. I have always eaten what I felt like.

Since this thread started I have been going double hard. Looking good. Gotta get some new pix up soon. Peace.i

Saw a guy on tv use botox for hyperhidrosis - worked a treat.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i believe that diets are person-specific

certain ways of eating and certain types of foods are more optimal for some than they are for others

i did a lot of experimentation throughout the years with the foods i eat and am currently settled on something that i believe works the best for me

i'm always open-minded and adaptive though

maybe i'll try something different and that will work better for me--who knows

the fun part is trying to figure it all out

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I do not care for carb or calorie counting. I have always eaten what I felt like.

i eat for satiation too

it's best to develop an intimate understanding of your dietary needs through physical judgement

counting is good in the beginning though, at least it helped me develop the kind of structure and regiment needed to keep up with everything

but yeah, everyday is a different day filled with different levels of energy expenditure, so it's very silly to put a definitive number on how much to eat

also, while i don't eat fruit that often, i do go crazy on the veggies

i personally have always preferred veggies over fruit anyway, i've never been a sweets/sugary kind of guy

even before i went Paleo i'd take some baked brussel sprouts over an apple any day

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
i eat for satiation too

it's best to develop an intimate understanding of your dietary needs through physical judgement

counting is good in the beginning though, at least it helped me develop the kind of structure and regiment needed to keep up with everything

but yeah, everyday is a different day filled with different levels of energy expenditure, so it's very silly to put a definitive number on how much to eat

also, while i don't eat fruit that often, i do go crazy on the veggies

i personally have always preferred veggies over fruit anyway, i've never been a sweets/sugary kind of guy

even before i went Paleo i'd take some baked brussel sprouts over an apple any day

Do you, like food? But is it a weapon to corner your insecurities?

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
i believe that diets are person-specific

certain ways of eating and certain types of foods are more optimal for some than they are for others

the fun part is trying to figure it all out
Agreed. I don't think I could go the Paleo route (or that I'd even want to), but it's been great getting input and info here from everybody...especially you, kraut, and Spike.

icon35.gif

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Im starting to develop a new philosophy about eating and exercising.

Ive found that when it comes to exercise, its ether all or nothing. I lose weight when I sleep excessively, and when I really sweat. Its all this mediocre crap like walking and elevating your heart rate that over time puts on weight.

And when it comes to food, I eat whatever the hell I want just as long as the food is diversified. Its like when the body receives to much of the same thing is when it is stored away as fat. Like for you to burn calories all you have to do is utilize all your enzymes instead of just one type. Which creates a more diversified metabolic response and improves over time. This goes with the complexity of the food too, keep some of it light and some heavy. The rest sorts itself out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

You've got a great attitude about the situation. I developed social anxiety over it which uhhh kinda ruined my life and everything but I guess I've been able to move on :) If you're comfortable in your body then you're already doing better than most people, hyperhidrosis or not. rock on dude.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Im starting to develop a new philosophy about eating and exercising.

Ive found that when it comes to exercise, its ether all or nothing. I lose weight when I sleep excessively, and when I really sweat. Its all this mediocre crap like walking and elevating your heart rate that over time puts on weight.

And when it comes to food, I eat whatever the hell I want just as long as the food is diversified. Its like when the body receives to much of the same thing is when it is stored away as fat. Like for you to burn calories all you have to do is utilize all your enzymes instead of just one type. Which creates a more diversified metabolic response and improves over time. This goes with the complexity of the food too, keep some of it light and some heavy. The rest sorts itself out.

ab shots please