Record collecting

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm tempted on that Miami soundtrack. On e of the few game soundtracks I think I would listen to around the house.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
if you're listening to vinyl for fidelity you're doing it wrong anyways

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I think speeding up production, keeping costs down and not having to buy new needles/cartridges to play sounds intriguing though. Could be a step forward. We'll see how it goes.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
I mean I don't have to buy a new player so sure why not. 3d printing tech is kind of the perfect thing for records*. 30% more audio on each side will be kinda cool, but it will probably just mean they'll shrink the record except in 3x LP albums will become 2X LP.

*I say this because the majority of my music is vidya music which is already digital. After reading the comments it seems some people are pretty pure on their analog to analog transfers.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So I bought a medium collection of country LP's. There was also a small ammount of 45's. Mostly junk. A few local artists (one semi-famous and one not famous). And there was also this gem.

That's going right in the jukebox!

So, laser cut "HD Vinyl" is supposed to come out in about 3 years...

If it significantly reduces production costs and is scale-able, it will be a boon for unsigned and indie bands.

CD's at shows ain't selling for shit. But 45's and LP's make for a nice Souvenir (much better than a crappy T-Shirt).

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I left Memphis the other day with a bunch of reprint 45s from Sun Studios and RCA era Elvis.

Also, if anyone is interested, the Warriors is coming to vinyl from Waxworks Records in May. Will probably sell out fast.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
So I bought a medium collection of country LP's. There was also a small ammount of 45's. Mostly junk. A few local artists (one semi-famous and one not famous). And there was also this gem.

That's going right in the jukebox!

If it significantly reduces production costs and is scale-able, it will be a boon for unsigned and indie bands.

CD's at shows ain't selling for shit. But 45's and LP's make for a nice Souvenir (much better than a crappy T-Shirt).

If you got a lp called Speedy West: 2 Guitars Country Style hit me up. I would pay you very fair for it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Likewise, if anyone finds a copy of Fire shootin pony by tex roe, I'll pay.

It is the nexus of my collecting universe.

1. Local
2. Trucking related (I collect trucker music).

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
if you're listening to vinyl for fidelity you're doing it wrong anyways

In my entire collection of 1000+ records, I have only found one that I thought was better or as good as CD.

It is a stupid Harry Chapin Live record that sounds better than any other record I've ever heard (including sealed records). FWIW: It was cut by Pecko himself.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I hear you there. I don't think any of mine sound better than my digital rips. Though I guess that's not why we listen to them. Sadly a large amount of the stuff I have just isn't something I've been able to find on CD. Recently one of my favorite albums just got a CD release so I'm looking forward to picking that up.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member

Agreed. I'll buy any reasonably priced tapes/albums at a show sight unseen just to help the bands out.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The digital vs vinyl thing has been beaten to death and the truth of the matter is that it really all depends. A shitty pressing, or a shitty mastering job can tip the scales in either direction. I will say that with my current setup when I get newly released material that includes a CD, I'd be hard pressed to hear a difference when I A/B the CD with the vinyl. When I had my MMF-5 as my vinyl source and a mid 1990s 5-disc Sony changer, vinyl was far and away the superior format so I think your source equipment also plays a large factor. It wasn't until I got a McIntosh DVD player that I realized how good CDs can sound. I've heard records and CDs with bad sound quality, IMO neither is always superior in every case.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I picked up some trippy ass records yesderday. I won't be listening to them (I only have one record player that can play 16 RPMs), but I'd like to frame them and put them on the wall.

jimmy%20swaggart%20what%20the%20bible%20says%20about%20drugs.jpg

Bonus: I also recommend this one more for it's bizarreness than musical quality:

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I picked up some trippy ass records yesderday. I won't be listening to them (I only have one record player that can play 16 RPMs), but I'd like to frame them and put them on the wall.

jimmy%20swaggart%20what%20the%20bible%20says%20about%20drugs.jpg

Bonus: I also recommend this one more for it's bizarreness than musical quality:

Return of Bruno is an awesome album. My parents used to play that shit constantly back in the day.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wow, he sounds just like he talks, for some reason that's crazy to me...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Now just give me Super Metroid and Double Dragon so I can die peacefully.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
How bout a little symphony of the night too