BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Really? I haven't seen it but I saw that one ep of Titans with them. Titans is....eh.

The Titans episode is actually set on a different earth and stars different versions of the Doom Patrol.

The latter show is way, way better.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Titans episode is actually set on a different earth and stars different versions of the Doom Patrol.

The latter show is way, way better.

I don't know why netflix Japan has both seasons of Titans, but not Doom Patrol, which is the one I actually want to watch.

Titans is a fucking slog. We'll watch one, then put off the next episode for weeks, coming up with any excuse not to continue.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't know why netflix Japan has both seasons of Titans, but not Doom Patrol, which is the one I actually want to watch.

Titans is a fucking slog. We'll watch one, then put off the next episode for weeks, coming up with any excuse not to continue.

You’re watching with the missus?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So on Monday I checked myself into the hospital because of some pretty bad stomach pain. After about four hours of suffering in pretty excruciating agony, CTE scans revealed I had a gall bladder so badly inflamed due to stones that it had grown gangrenous.

12 hours and a shit ton of IV fed pain meds later (which put me to sleep more than suppressing the pain), laparoscopic surgery resulted in complete and safe removal. It was a three hour process -one for anesthesia to be confirmed and 2 for the surgery- and I was resting and recovering nicely. Went home the next day.

Boy, I will tell you...I still really miss that hospital ice water. It was so good. Probably because it was the first thing I was able to ingest once I checked in. Back home now and getting better. Even though I give the experience a 0 out of 5 stars, it still rates higher than the Dracula TV series on Netflix.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So on Monday I checked myself into the hospital because of some pretty bad stomach pain. After about four hours of suffering in pretty excruciating agony, CTE scans revealed I had a gall bladder so badly inflamed due to stones that it had grown gangrenous.

12 hours and a shit ton of IV fed pain meds later (which put me to sleep more than suppressing the pain), laparoscopic surgery resulted in complete and safe removal. It was a three hour process -one for anesthesia to be confirmed and 2 for the surgery- and I was resting and recovering nicely. Went home the next day.

Boy, I will tell you...I still really miss that hospital ice water. It was so good. Probably because it was the first thing I was able to ingest once I checked in. Back home now and getting better. Even though I give the experience a 0 out of 5 stars, it still rates higher than the Dracula TV series on Netflix.

Moving post to “Best IV shows” thread.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Ha! Glad you got that sorted out. Sounds like a hellish time

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Ha! Glad you got that sorted out. Sounds like a hellish time

Once they replaced my stomach acids via IV and hit me with hardcore antibiotics, the pain was way more manageable but still a challenge. I mastered the art of the short breath because the problem area was still pretty bad. Yawning was like dying.

There was a guy in another room down the hall that would continually let out these pained screams every couple of minutes, long and loud. I felt awful for him. Still kinda do, and hope they helped him out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That's gnarly, Taiso. Post pics of your gangrenous gallbladder and the stones.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Once they replaced my stomach acids via IV and hit me with hardcore antibiotics, the pain was way more manageable but still a challenge. I mastered the art of the short breath because the problem area was still pretty bad. Yawning was like dying.

There was a guy in another room down the hall that would continually let out these pained screams every couple of minutes, long and loud. I felt awful for him. Still kinda do, and hope they helped him out.

Haha lonesage, wait until you hit 45 and start releasing stomach acid from your anus because of drinking.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
That's gnarly, Taiso. Post pics of your gangrenous gallbladder and the stones.

Just watch Netflix's Dracula and pretend it's a smidge better. Your mind's eye can do the rest.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I already have a leaky anus from the drinking. I won't have to take a shit but during the day I'll need to go to the bathroom just to wipe the juice from my ass.

famicommander

15 Year Member

I just get the shows on Blu Ray. Titans S2 hasn't released yet so I haven't seen it. Doom Patrol is orders of magnitude better than season 1 was, though.

Next one to release on Blu Ray is Swamp Thing, which I heard was really good but got cancelled after one episode due to some tax credit paperwork snafu. But they still finished out the first season.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Next one to release on Blu Ray is Swamp Thing, which I heard was really good but got cancelled after one episode due to some tax credit paperwork snafu. But they still finished out the first season.

“Swamp Thing shot in North Carolina where the ambitious project from James Wan’s Atomic Monster production company could utilize a promised $40 million tax rebate. This helped DC Universe offset what became an $80 million first season. However, a paperwork error on the part of the NC treasury meant that rebate never materialized. After it was rectified, NC could only offer $14 million, a far cry from the original promise. That left Warner and DC on the hook for an extra $26 million they originally thought they’d get back. Gohlson cites two articles from StarNewsOnline, a local North Carolina publication, for the report."

Wow, that's a huge snafu. North Carolina just shot themselves in the foot for future Hollywood shows probably.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I’m impressed. My wife doesn’t even sit in the same room when I watch sci-fi. Comic book stuff? Forget it.

She's great with that. She likes horror and sf, she does not like romantic comedies, and she hates musicals with a passion. I couldn't be happier about the movies and shows we watch, other than that she likes medical dramas and I do not.

famicommander

15 Year Member
“Swamp Thing shot in North Carolina where the ambitious project from James Wan’s Atomic Monster production company could utilize a promised $40 million tax rebate. This helped DC Universe offset what became an $80 million first season. However, a paperwork error on the part of the NC treasury meant that rebate never materialized. After it was rectified, NC could only offer $14 million, a far cry from the original promise. That left Warner and DC on the hook for an extra $26 million they originally thought they’d get back. Gohlson cites two articles from StarNewsOnline, a local North Carolina publication, for the report."

Wow, that's a huge snafu. North Carolina just shot themselves in the foot for future Hollywood shows probably.

DC is probably not gonna have that many more shows that are not produced by Greg Berlanti. He produces all his shows in Vancouver except Black Lightning, which is Atlanta.

Post Smallville, here are all the live action DC shows produced by Berlanti:
Arrow (8 seasons, just ended at 170 episodes)
The Flash (Renewed for season 7 next year)
Supergirl (Renewed for season 6 next year)
Legends of Tomorrow (Renewed for season 6 next year)
Black Lightning (Renewed for season 4 next year)
Titans (renewed for season 3 for HBO Max next year)
Doom Patrol (filming season 2 for HBO Max right now)
Batwoman (renewed for season 2 next year)
Stargirl (season 1 premiering on CW this Spring)
Superman and Lois (premiering on CW this fall)
Green Lantern (premiering on HBO Max this year)
Strange Adventures (premiering on HBO Max next year)
Green Arrow and the Canaries (pilot stage right now, Arrow successor)

Not produced by Berlanti:
Human Target (25 episodes and done)
Constantine (13 episodes and done)
Powerless (pulled off the air when only 9/13 episodes had aired)
Swamp Thing (10 episodes and done)
Krypton (20 episodes and done)
Watchmen (great show and popular, but 9 episodes and done)
Gotham (5 seasons, 100 episodes)
Pennyworth (literally a show about Batman's butler, somehow renewed for a second season)

The Vertigo Comics shows did a bit better:
Lucifer (5th and final season coming soon)
iZombie (5 successful seasons)
Preacher (4 successful seasons)

famicommander

15 Year Member
Is iZombie any good? No one ever talks about it.

Did you enjoy Veronica Mars and/or Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

If so, you will like iZombie. It is a very loose adaptation of the source material but it's a very well written and acted show.

Instead of being a grave digger the protagonist is a morgue doctor, but she still takes on characteristics of people whose brain she eats and uses their memories to solve their murders. It's also exclusively zombies, so no other supernatural creatures like in the comic.

It sets up like a crime procedural but it has season-long story arcs and is equal parts comedy, drama, and action.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Any y'all watch this?

I just watched season 1 and it was really good.

Not sure which direction they'll take in season 2 considering how season 1 ended but it's been renewed

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
So Vikings is what I most like to watch these past few years, and I think it is mostly thanks to 3 things - everything else about it is quite preposterous and tacky.
The sacrifices are consistently well treated, it is a festivity that all are welcome to partake in, there is something celebratory about how they are portrayed as well as how they function within the mechanics of the series. They are unusual in tone, quite terrifying and to me there is something horror film inspired about them, in season 6 in particular, simply breathtaking art, but also way back with the spread eagle sacrifice.
Midsommar, the recent film I feel played with some of these themes in a very similar way, neutrally, calmly, graphically, solemnly.

The dialogues in the series tend to be silly rubbish even when reasonable. But every single time the seer has opened his mouth the whole thing is lifted to the highest echelon, beyond anything out there. I don't know why this is, how this comes about but it does. Perfectly scripted, narrates challenges up ahead painting future occurance with a veneer that would otherwise leave them uninteresting. The words of this character and how they are uttered by this actor are more effective than all the special effects in the series put together.

I can't remember the third thing that makes this my favourite series. As I said, there is more bad than good along the way. But what is good is beyond anything I have seen of the sort. Maybe Versailles has had some of this charm.

No spoilers but season six there is a funeral scene which is beautifully moving particularly as it concludes.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
They'll never be accused of being anywhere near the vicinity of historical accuracy. They take it to a level where it feels as if they having a laugh at their audience.
Park your brain at the door and come inside just for the spectacle of it all. I find that's the best way to treat Vikings.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Absolutely. It's a fantasy series with all kinds of liberties being taken. I have yet to see anything set within a similar timeframe which tries to accurately portray how it was. Unfortunately you take what you can.

The parts I have mentioned in Vikings I think are fantastic from a comic book telling of this past, not in any way as something close to reality. It's in the 300 vicinity

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Hot Take:

Travis Fimmel was the show's weakest asset.