so.. uh... baltimore.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I am unsure. But I see the merits of the argument.

Wasabi's comments for sure.

We already know you're anti-police from jump street.

How about this:

Since the cops get a bad rep anytime a black person is killed by them (nevermind the whites, hispanics, and asians who are also killed for provoking cops) maybe the cops should no longer service those same riotous black neighborhoods, that way this sort of thing wouldn't happen anymore.

I wonder how long it would take before these same people would be screaming and begging for police protection as the criminal element devour their neighborhoods.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I am unsure. But I see the merits of the argument.

Wasabi's comments for sure.

Which comment? This comment?

Those rioters are getting a lot of flak because rioting is wrong and for that they are idiots. The thing is, those "idiots" have made this issue so big now tht people have no choice but to view it under the microscope it demands. If this were a peaceful protest of people in their sunday church clothes all looking like MLK, no one would give a shit.

This reminds me of this:

David Mills said:
You're no messiah. You're a movie of the week. You're a fucking t-shirt, at best.

No one...and I mean NO ONE will view this "under the microscope it demands".

Validity and credibility dies the second you start they shit they've started...no one will care. NBA players will put some stupid slogan on a t-shirt...life will go on.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
We already know you're anti-police from jump street.

How about this:

Since the cops get a bad rep anytime a black person is killed by them (nevermind the whites, hispanics, and asians who are also killed for provoking cops) maybe the cops should no longer service those same riotous black neighborhoods, that way this sort of thing wouldn't happen anymore.

I wonder how long it would take before these same people would be screaming and begging for police protection as the criminal element devour their neighborhoods.

The way modern policing in many urban centers works is not to catch criminals, but to harass and extract revenue from it's citizens.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The way modern policing in many urban centers works is not to catch criminals, but to harass and extract revenue from it's citizens.

Was that a reply to my post, or just a vague statement you're talking out of your ass with?

You're missing his point. It changes nothing in the grand scheme... and my dollar is on Ferguson becoming even more corrupt with this new administration...

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Was that a reply to my post, or just a vague statement you're talking out of your ass with?
It is what the DOJ found in Ferguson and the surrounding area (besides the racism). They uncovered a systematic use of police as revenue generation machines.

You're missing his point. It changes nothing in the grand scheme... and my dollar is on Ferguson becoming even more corrupt with this new administration...

Perhaps.

...and you think the rioting prompted this?

...sure...

I think it helped considerably. A peaceful protest gets 3 days of coverage... Max.
A riot gets covered much, much more.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is what the DOJ found in Ferguson and the surrounding area (besides the racism). They uncovered a systematic use of police as revenue generation machines.

Everyone knows the cops generate revenue by ticketing. But if you're obeying traffic laws...

I think it helped considerably. A peaceful protest gets 3 days of coverage... Max.

This isn't the kind of coverage they want. It makes the community look bad and then they're not taken seriously.

They need to take legal actions: lawsuits, voting, etc.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The looting is a terrible thing. But you know what - all that stolen stuff can be bought back. It's not the same as the killing of Gray, which can't be made right. It's not the same as the countless victims of police brutality who have endured punishment from tax-paid representatives of the government.

Unlike smokehouse, who has written more than he has read, I have read a lot about this. And one piece that really moved me was the open letter from the COO of the Orioles, who questioned the governments policies that have driven businesses to export jobs, disenfranchising the community, and leaving the community with a nothing to lose mentality, ripe for looting.

My hope is that the voters in Maryland get rid of the liberal garbage who have made the corporate climate unbearable for companies, and bring in new leadership that will restructure the tax code to encourage business again, and increase employment opportunities in the Baltimore area. I would love to see this result in police being ordered to wear cameras. Accountability should be a major focus moving forward.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Perhaps.

I will admit I am doubting my stance a bit after your comments. Possibly it does effect things, who knows. My gut tells me that I don't feel violent rioting effects the final outcome, but that is personal opinion, not fact. So, for the sake of this discussion, I won't argue the point anymore.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK... Open letter to all on NG.com...

Move to the UK... stay with me... and we'll find some chavette for you to "marry" and obtain a permanent Visa...

xROTx

PS. I hate to admit it... as an outsider looking in... I will openly confess that things have been left to fester without any real direction from anyone in a position to do something about it...

EDIT: Point in fact... 'Murikas Power and Communications network is still about 50 years behind some European countries... and WE'RE 25 years behind South Korea...

Go figure...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You know what I've noticed in all of these cases? Fleeing or resisting arrest. Which heavily suggests guilt. Whoops!

People need to learn how to deal with police better. You don't fight them. You comply and if they're in the wrong, you take them to court later.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The looting is a terrible thing. But you know what - all that stolen stuff can be bought back. It's not the same as the killing of Gray, which can't be made right. It's not the same as the countless victims of police brutality who have endured punishment from tax-paid representatives of the government.

Unlike smokehouse, who has written more than he has read, I have read a lot about this. And one piece that really moved me was the open letter from the COO of the Orioles, who questioned the governments policies that have driven businesses to export jobs, disenfranchising the community, and leaving the community with a nothing to lose mentality, ripe for looting.

My hope is that the voters in Maryland get rid of the liberal garbage who have made the corporate climate unbearable for companies, and bring in new leadership that will restructure the tax code to encourage business again, and increase employment opportunities in the Baltimore area. I would love to see this result in police being ordered to wear cameras. Accountability should be a major focus moving forward.

Hold on a second now...I said I haven't read a ton on this riot. To me this is yet another pointless act of crime and violence in the name of yet another dead criminal.

The massive commercial corruption, double standard concerning the elite rich vs everyone else and the fact that the US government does and has allowed bribery to steer laws is another topic altogether...a topic which has zip to do with this act of lawlessness.

If you think this looting is based on the above, think again. This flavor of looting ad rioting is not planned or thought out.

I will never come on here and claim things are hunky dory in the US...but to say this rioting is based on that? I disagree. This is an act of "because I can"...not "I am making a social statement"

People act like the citizens in the crime ridden areas are pure victims...which they are not. Do you really think Ferguson is a nice place to live? Have you ever been there? I have...its a crime ridden shit hole. I think this is a problem (police brutality) blown out of proportion with little to no facts on the issue.

Look at it from both sides of the coin. Imagine being a police officer responsible for policing these areas. Areas full of constant crime, drugs, prostitution, robberies, homicides, assaults, rapes. Areas where police are constantly treated like dog shit by the ones they're sent to govern. How would you feel about people so depraved? Look at these cases...young men killed by police, men with criminal records...men that I am 100% sure have zero respect for the police. Deal with these people year, after year, after year and see how you begin to treat them. This is human nature.

I'm not defending these cases...I'm not defending any of it. What I a saying is these are hard people in a hard world. Hard, callused, frustrated police dealing with hard, callused citizens in a shithole of an area.

It's a fucking powder keg and 100% NOT a one sided problem.

To mix this with other, completely unrelated issues of police brutality is unrealistic.

Now...I don't have a solution to any of this...but I a sick of hearing of the "poor, poor, innocent young men" getting their angel wings and halo knocked off by the evil, evil cops and then, afterwards, the residents of the city looting, performing violent acts against other citizens and burning shit to the ground.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Everyone knows the cops generate revenue by ticketing. But if you're obeying traffic laws...

Some conservative you are.

Major fines for petty traffic violations are BS. In Ferguson, there were 16,000 open warrants for failure to pay minor infractions (in a city of 21,000).

When was the last time you got a traffic ticket?

In Ferguson, a favorite violation was "Manner of Walking" aka jay walking.

Yeah, that hasn't worked. Maryland still has laws on the books that allow police to get away with tons of shit.

You know what I've noticed in all of these cases? Fleeing or resisting arrest. Which heavily suggests guilt. Whoops!

People need to learn how to deal with police better. You don't fight them. You comply and if they're in the wrong, you take them to court later.

Ohh, in Baltimore, it is a recurring theme. nearly 100 successful lawsuits over the past 4 years.

Anyways, it is totally legal for you to run from police as long as you are not under arrest or being detained. Exactly what this person did.

Last edited:

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,

Let's not kid ourselves here. Expecting a group of individuals to follow a system that has been historically against them will NEVER work.

Exhibit #1: This black family raised their kids on the system you mentioned and it rejected them.

Exhibit #2: The dean of Harvard, THE DEAN OF A PRESTIGIOUS UNIVERSITY, is arrested for breaking into his own house. Guess what his skin color was?

Things like lawsuits and voting will work when they have a system that works for them. I recall my great-great grandparent's generation actually creating a system of their own...only for it to be bombed by the system that was against them.

What you're saying works for a system that caters to you. Whether or not we go with or against the system, they will ALWAYS find a way to terrorize us. The reason why you never see anything like this for the Asians or Hispanic/Latino/Mexican communities is because the system doesn't fear them (as much) nor do they have anything to gain from glorifying how much they enjoy terrorizing them. Sure, the annual topic of immigration comes up but what they practice to make them successful is community and group economics. Oh and having country that can back them up.

Case in point: In the late 1800s, Italians were were lynched for allowing blacks into their businesses. When government officials in Italy got word what was going on, they were PISSED. The US apologized to Italy because they didn't want to lose an ally.

Who do black Americans have to fight for them? NO ONE. We have ourselves but ONLY when one of us are wronged. We NEVER come together when one of us are successful outside of what the norm is. When Gabby Douglas was in the Olympics in gymnastics, kicking ass, all black folks could talk about was her hair.

Whenever a group of blacks move to any area in the USA, the system is NEVER in their favor. If we make an attempt at progress, we're labeled, ridiculed, and/or have things stripped from us.

What you see in Baltimore and what you saw in Fergurson is the result of black America not getting away from what worked in the past mentally and using tactics that can at least get some sort of response.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Some conservative you are.

Major fines for petty traffic violations are BS. In Ferguson, there were 16,000 open warrants for failure to pay minor infractions (in a city of 21,000).

When was the last time you got a traffic ticket?

In Ferguson, a favorite violation was "Manner of Walking" aka jay walking.

Yeah, that hasn't worked. Maryland still has laws on the books that allow police to get away with tons of shit.

Ohh, in Baltimore, it is a recurring theme. nearly 100 successful lawsuits over the past 4 years.

Anyways, it is totally legal for you to run from police as long as you are not under arrest or being detained. Exactly what this person did.

legal to run from the police? Where's that law? I'm more curious than anything.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
legal to run from the police? Where's that law? I'm more curious than anything.
It is always legal to run from a police officer. It is only illegal to keep doing so when they attempt to address you.

According the Police report (which of course has credibility problems), Mr. Grey complied with officers when asked to do so.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Let's not kid ourselves here. Expecting a group of individuals to follow a system that has been historically against them will NEVER work.

Exhibit #1: This black family raised their kids on the system you mentioned and it rejected them.

Exhibit #2: The dean of Harvard, THE DEAN OF A PRESTIGIOUS UNIVERSITY, is arrested for breaking into his own house. Guess what his skin color was?

Things like lawsuits and voting will work when they have a system that works for them. I recall my great-great grandparent's generation actually creating a system of their own...only for it to be bombed by the system that was against them.

What you're saying works for a system that caters to you. Whether or not we go with or against the system, they will ALWAYS find a way to terrorize us. The reason why you never see anything like this for the Asians or Hispanic/Latino/Mexican communities is because the system doesn't fear them (as much) nor do they have anything to gain from glorifying how much they enjoy terrorizing them. Sure, the annual topic of immigration comes up but what they practice to make them successful is community and group economics. Oh and having country that can back them up.

Case in point: In the late 1800s, Italians were were lynched for allowing blacks into their businesses. When government officials in Italy got word what was going on, they were PISSED. The US apologized to Italy because they didn't want to lose an ally.

Who do black Americans have to fight for them? NO ONE. We have ourselves but ONLY when one of us are wronged. We NEVER come together when one of us are successful outside of what the norm is. When Gabby Douglas was in the Olympics in gymnastics, kicking ass, all black folks could talk about was her hair.

Whenever a group of blacks move to any area in the USA, the system is NEVER in their favor. If we make an attempt at progress, we're labeled, ridiculed, and/or have things stripped from us.

What you see in Baltimore and what you saw in Fergurson is the result of black America not getting away from what worked in the past mentally and using tactics that can at least get some sort of response.

So oppression of those that are not wealthy or in power is exclusive to the black community?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
It is always legal to run from a police officer. It is only illegal to keep doing so when they attempt to address you.

According the Police report (which of course has credibility problems), Mr. Grey complied with officers when asked to do so.

i believe I mixed this up with the guy who was selling the firearm.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
White people get shit on, harassed and beaten too.

But it just ain't the same.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Can I make an observation here...

...Wut about teh azn's... and other ethnic races...

This white vs black thing.... from my standpoint is fookin stoopid...

xROTx