so.. uh... baltimore.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This is an act of "because I can"...not "I am making a social statement"

Now I'm not trying to pick on you (I've heard these sentiments from many people) - but I honestly don't think anyone here can make that kind of assertion unless they are in Baltimore right now and part of that community.

Let's forget the U.S for a moment. Let's look at Egypt. Or Syria. When we look at the violence there people think political, social, financial, religious motivations - whatever. But they didn't think of it necessarily as thuggery.

So why in the U.S are we so quick to dismiss similar types of violence as punks having fun because they can get away with it?

I know its not a perfect analogy, but how can we as bystanders understand anyone's motivations? Being too dismissive honestly comes off a bit disdainful - and it is stuff like that which is probably pissing off the folks in Baltimore.

Just seems a bit biased that when civil unrest happens in an Arab country they are justified, but when it happens in a black community they are just being degenerates.

Again, this isn't necessarily directed at you Smokehouse - I'm just picking up on your comment.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Can I make an observation here...

...Wut about teh azn's... and other ethnic races...

This white vs black thing.... from my standpoint is fookin stoopid...

xROTx

When's the last time you saw "AzN"'s protesting about one of their own getting killed by a cop? Come to think of it, when's the last time you heard of a mess of AzN's going on a riot spree?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
True then. True now.
af096d6d09a4325c0ff23ee7c0c86564.jpg

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
In Ferguson, a favorite violation was "Manner of Walking" aka jay walking.

Holy shit, you got me laughing.
Not because you're right, but because it's poetic.

Go live in Oakland for a year, go to work downtown every day and watch how many time young black teens will just dart across FUCKING BROADWAY in the middle of traffic in a single afternoon.

The Oakland PD just gave up on ticketing them for it, because it's entirely unenforceable.

I worked in downtown Oakland for 8 years and cocky black teens jaywalking across the busiest fucking street in the city to talk to their friends on the other side of the street or just sit in the fucking middle of the street to greet them during rush hour was damned impressive.

Mind you, this was A BLOCK from the city hall. No respect for law or public safety.

I don't know if Ferguson was the same, but it makes me think that maybe it's not as far fetched as it seems.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Wow 4 people posted at exactly 4:50. We should all smoke up or something.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
When's the last time you saw "AzN"'s protesting about one of their own getting killed by a cop? Come to think of it, when's the last time you heard of a mess of AzN's going on a riot spree?

Yeah... we're a peaceful lot when integrated....

Get along with our neighbours... try and get along... a lot of members here are azn...

Respect authority and all... it's all very civilised...

xROTx

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
So oppression of those that are not wealthy or in power is exclusive to the black community?

Pretty much.

What Norton said is true to a GRAVE extent. Any person that's dirt poor gets oppressed (yeah, yeah, it's buzzfeed) but the black community gets the worst of it. What's been going on in the poorer black communities is PROOF these last eight months should be proof enough.

Black communities (poor or not) get so much shit yet Cliven Bundy gets away almost scot-free for repeatedly and successfully going against the U.S. government!

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Cliven Bundy gets away almost scot-free for repeatedly and successfully going against the U.S. government!

Cliven Bundy did not loot a footlocker to protest the government stealing his cows. He called out for public support and staged a peaceful (if armed) protest.
It was a show of solidarity and force with no violence.
The entire Bundy Ranch incident was "peaceful", with no shots fired.

I would absolutely love it if the black community did something like that without devolving into riots and conflicts with police.

Also, the Bundy story is a very nuanced one, where his family has held and improved on that land since BEFORE it was taken from them by BLM.

Regardless, I've seen several protests in Oakland first hand go sour when some dip shit in the crowd starts throwing rocks and bottles into the police wall when the march illegally deviates from its planned path.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for the folks in Baltimore if they either self-policed better by stopping belligerents before they ruin a perfectly legal protest, or going full-on revolution instead of tearing up local businesses and looting from their own neighborhoods.

Whatever.
I also blame the media for making this all a lot worse than it needs to be. Race-baiting in pursuit of ratings.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What do white people stand to gain by "keeping black people down". I'm curious.

I hear it all the time but it makes no sense to me.

Personally, I think it's a cop-out (ha!) for a group of people who for decades have had no sense of direction; no desire to better themselves. Black people do a great job of keeping themselves down. A slave in their own mind.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Also, the Bundy story is a very nuanced one, where his family has held and improved on that land since BEFORE it was taken from them by BLM..

Do you really believe that?

What do white people stand to gain by "keeping black people down". I'm curious..

You think that is what this is about?

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Let's not kid ourselves here. Expecting a group of individuals to follow a system that has been historically against them will NEVER work.

Exhibit #1: This black family raised their kids on the system you mentioned and it rejected them.

Exhibit #2: The dean of Harvard, THE DEAN OF A PRESTIGIOUS UNIVERSITY, is arrested for breaking into his own house. Guess what his skin color was?

Things like lawsuits and voting will work when they have a system that works for them. I recall my great-great grandparent's generation actually creating a system of their own...only for it to be bombed by the system that was against them.

What you're saying works for a system that caters to you. Whether or not we go with or against the system, they will ALWAYS find a way to terrorize us. The reason why you never see anything like this for the Asians or Hispanic/Latino/Mexican communities is because the system doesn't fear them (as much) nor do they have anything to gain from glorifying how much they enjoy terrorizing them. Sure, the annual topic of immigration comes up but what they practice to make them successful is community and group economics. Oh and having country that can back them up.

Case in point: In the late 1800s, Italians were were lynched for allowing blacks into their businesses. When government officials in Italy got word what was going on, they were PISSED. The US apologized to Italy because they didn't want to lose an ally.

Who do black Americans have to fight for them? NO ONE. We have ourselves but ONLY when one of us are wronged. We NEVER come together when one of us are successful outside of what the norm is. When Gabby Douglas was in the Olympics in gymnastics, kicking ass, all black folks could talk about was her hair.

Whenever a group of blacks move to any area in the USA, the system is NEVER in their favor. If we make an attempt at progress, we're labeled, ridiculed, and/or have things stripped from us.

What you see in Baltimore and what you saw in Fergurson is the result of black America not getting away from what worked in the past mentally and using tactics that can at least get some sort of response.

The continual hiding behind the veil of a victim is what keep this "self" inflicted oppression going. It's not 1940's America anymore. You don't have a be a welfare case once you hit 18yrs old. Nothing stops you from getting a job and working your ass off and getting an education anymore. Anyone claiming to be a held down or back is full of shit. The problem now with Black America is they have created a positive spin on failure and creating false instances of victimhood.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Can anyone from Baltimore verify that the riots were localized and getting played up for the purpose of race-baiting?

It wouldn't surprise me....I remember stories of g7 summit protests in the early 2000s where peaceful protesters show up, but everything quickly going to shit after a few hooded "anarchists" would show up to steal the spotlight.

That's about the gist I'm getting from a friend in B-more on Facebook. Just like anything the news plays up, she posted something to the likes of: Hey everyone, thanks for the enormous amount of calls/texts/etc, but it's really being hyped way out of proportion on the news.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Nothing stops you from getting a job and working your ass off and getting an education anymore. Anyone claiming to be a held down or back is full of shit. The problem now with Black America is they have created a positive spin on failure and creating false instances of victimhood.

Guessing you're white, eh?

I mean, sure, some people make it "up out the hood" but they're the exceptions, the outliers. When you're born into an impoverished area with gutted public schools and a racist ass police force, it's kinda hard to be one of the lucky ones no matter how hard you work.

Hell, I was born white in an area with decent public schools and I had to work my ass off to get where I am. I know damn well kids born in worse areas with worse schools would have had to work even harder, without being taught how to. Sure, you can blame the parents, but many of them grew up in poverty too. It's what they know.

It's really easy to say anyone can work their ass off and make it when you were born into a situation that allows it. Some people aren't. Never mind the fact that the actual value of wages are down, and the cost of everything is up. I literally could not afford to live on some of the salaries I had in the past with todays cost of living.

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member

I mean, sure, some people make it "up out the hood" but they're the exceptions, the outliers. When you're born into an impoverished area with gutted public schools and a racist ass police force, it's kinda hard to be one of the lucky ones no matter how hard you work.

Hell, I was born white in an area with decent public schools and I had to work my ass off to get where I am. I know damn well kids born in worse areas with worse schools would have had to work even harder, without being taught how to. Sure, you can blame the parents, but many of them grew up in poverty too. It's what they know.

Go across town and apply at McDonalds if that is the case. That is a weak excuse.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Go across town and apply at McDonalds if that is the case. That is a weak excuse.

Public transportation sucks ass and good luck getting a car. If minimum wage was still a liveable wage that's one thing, but you can't live off that shit anymore without 12 roommates in the projects.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Also, the staggering amount of racist shit that's streaming down my Facebook news feed today definitely shows we're not living in a post-race society. Some deplorable stuff being said, right along the lines of kill the filthy animals. Then again, it's nothing new. It's nothing that people of color don't hear every damn day, as is. I was just shocked to hear some close friends, who I know have had similar trials and tribulations growing up poor, growing up as the other, growing up weird or nerdy, growing up as an outcast, spew such hate open and proud. Really makes me sad.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Also, the staggering amount of racist shit that's streaming down my Facebook news feed today definitely shows we're not living in a post-race society. Some deplorable stuff being said, right along the lines of kill the filthy animals. Then again, it's nothing new. It's nothing that people of color don't hear every damn day, as is. I was just shocked to hear some close friends, who I know have had similar trials and tribulations growing up poor, growing up as the other, growing up weird or nerdy, growing up as an outcast, spew such hate open and proud. Really makes me sad.

Nothing good ever happens on facebook.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
What do white people stand to gain by "keeping black people down". I'm curious.

I hear it all the time but it makes no sense to me.

Personally, I think it's a cop-out (ha!) for a group of people who for decades have had no sense of direction; no desire to better themselves. Black people do a great job of keeping themselves down. A slave in their own mind.

I agree that it IS a cop out but that doesn't excuse the fact it DOES happen. What do white people, in the United States, gain from keeping down a black Americans? Economics. Anything and everything that happens almost always involve money. If white Americans can't profit off of blacks, they will do whatever it takes to tear down what they've built, only to keep it for themselves. Why do you think so many hip hop record labels and black radio stations are owned by whites? Black unity scares the SHIT out of white America (at least the older generation). Black unity scares then new generation when it is taught (hence the UAE chant in Oklahoma last month).

My earlier point on the Tulsa Race Riots is an example. White Americans let it be known loud and CLEAR they do not want another Black Wall Street. Our desire was lost when we kept losing an uphill battle to improve ourselves. I think the mindset to stop improving ourselves started with the baby-boomers. They were taught if they worked hard and went to school and got a degree, they could have a better life. Thing is, not since 1968, have blacks had to really fight for the things we want cause we pretty much got them. By the 1970s, starting with Nixon, the status quo reared its ugly head but handled things in a way that black Americans can't touch: politics. Oh sure, we have a black president but that's only because white America allowed it; keep in mind blacks make up 10% of this nation.

If we tried to learn how to read, they would kill us. If we practiced group economics, they would kill us. If we tried to unify, they would kill us. This is why the slave mentality is still prevalent amongst black Americans and poor black communities. During slavery, slave masters used techniques to have us fight against each other and not build ourselves up. If we got "uppity", they would kill us. That sounds a bit familiar...

Not EVERY white person has the thought process holding down black Americans just like not every black person follows the mantra of being held down but historically it exists.

Mr_b, no where in my previous statement did I say that I was being a victim. Like skate said, I made it out and got an education. Hell, I lived overseas for a bit and was more successful there in my field by creating my OWN business. When I came back to the states with my real-world experience at a small TV station, they had me live off of $7.45 with shit hours and shit treatment. I'll say this, working there was a blessing in disguise because I learned that I shouldn't have to rely on white acceptance to get anything I want. Sadly, it's the norm.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Public transportation sucks ass and good luck getting a car. If minimum wage was still a liveable wage that's one thing, but you can't live off that shit anymore without 12 roommates in the projects.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

It's really easy to say anyone can work their ass off and make it when you were born into a situation that allows it. Some people aren't. Never mind the fact that the actual value of wages are down, and the cost of everything is up. I literally could not afford to live on some of the salaries I had in the past with todays cost of living.

I don't disagree with any of what you posted - but it begs the question...What to do to change the plight and change perceptions? I'm sure some people are stealing necessities, but i'm seeing far more pictures of people breaking windows and stealing cigarrettes. Yes, you have everyone's attention - and now this is the image and the subsequent divisions they will cause. If you are going to fight back and resist - have a sign, tell me what you're resisting (ie, corrupt, abusive police, misallocated education funds, etc). Don't pose for an iPhone pic with a swisher sweet and 48oz Mtn Dew.

The majority of us are middle class white dudes arguing about the morality of this, the conditions of this, whether it's necessary or justified or stupid or whatever else. The people who need to talk about this are black people of influence and they need to be profound, informed, and committed. There is a major vacuum here.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Now I'm not trying to pick on you (I've heard these sentiments from many people) - but I honestly don't think anyone here can make that kind of assertion unless they are in Baltimore right now and part of that community.

Let's forget the U.S for a moment. Let's look at Egypt. Or Syria. When we look at the violence there people think political, social, financial, religious motivations - whatever. But they didn't think of it necessarily as thuggery.

So why in the U.S are we so quick to dismiss similar types of violence as punks having fun because they can get away with it?

I know its not a perfect analogy, but how can we as bystanders understand anyone's motivations? Being too dismissive honestly comes off a bit disdainful - and it is stuff like that which is probably pissing off the folks in Baltimore.

Just seems a bit biased that when civil unrest happens in an Arab country they are justified, but when it happens in a black community they are just being degenerates.

Again, this isn't necessarily directed at you Smokehouse - I'm just picking up on your comment.

They burned down a fucking CVS…that's why I said it. I'd say the same thing about any group that looted/burned down some pointless store.

Pretty much.

What Norton said is true to a GRAVE extent. Any person that's dirt poor gets oppressed (yeah, yeah, it's buzzfeed) but the black community gets the worst of it. What's been going on in the poorer black communities is PROOF these last eight months should be proof enough.

Black communities (poor or not) get so much shit yet Cliven Bundy gets away almost scot-free for repeatedly and successfully going against the U.S. government!

You, sir, are either kidding or MASSIVELY near-sighted.

The financial/rights fleecing of Americans does not know race. People getting fucked out of their life savings, or losing their lifetime careers by illegal cooperate buyouts, or having having their land taken by the government, having pay deducted while work demands go through the roof, having jobs force them to do more and more to hold on to what is now the waining middle class lifestyle, people living paycheck to paycheck…I can go on and on.

This knows NO race, NO color and if you are honestly so fucking blinded by your race-obsession that you do not see this, you are a complete and utter fool.

Blacks the only group being oppressed by the wealthy and powerful…LO-fucking-L. You act as if this is some brand new shit that just popped up the second some American fuck decided to own a black man…give me a break buddy, open your eyes. Class oppression is older than America, is color blind and will continue on LONG after America is in the history books.

I two fucking jobs and my wife works to maintain a lifestyle someone could with one job 30 years ago…I work more hours in a week than most of those dumb motherfuckers looting that 7-11 do in a motherfucking month. You know what happens if I decide to just quit? I lose everything I have, that's what.

Oppression being a black exclusive…fuck me...

Last edited: