Man... This sucks... Las Vegas Concert Mass Shooting...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As a life-long and native Las Vegan who knows people who were there and directly affected by this shooting, along with knowing a detective working on this case, and someone who also used to work at Mandalay Bay, I want to throat punch each and every conspiracy fuckbag who thinks they're smart and special by pulling shit out of their ass, or reading garbage like Infowars. If you are one of those people, you don't know shit, and should take yourself out.

How do we know that you aren't a "Crisis Actor"?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
There's just no way to k ow what to believe. Better believe whatever I want. Everything else just doesn't add up.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The people who reflexively lash out at the "news Media" are usually those that have the worst information literacy.

Are you seriously suggesting that the "news media" is the pinnacle of credibility and accuracy?

If they didn't report so much stuff incorrectly, perhaps people would find what they have to say more beliavable.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well when there is a history of the the media lying to the public and the fact that progaganda is legal in the US again, the people are right to ask questions and challenge the official story.

Fox news was never news media.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Are you seriously suggesting that the "news media" is the pinnacle of credibility and accuracy?

If they didn't report so much stuff incorrectly, perhaps people would find what they have to say more beliavable.

You should be more specific. Because it sounds like you are talking about infowars, but I don’t think intelligent people consider that news.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You should be more specific. Because it sounds like you are talking about infowars, but I don’t think intelligent people consider that news.

Nice. If that is a personal jab about my quoting Infowars and their speaking of john Brown gun clubs, turns out that they weren't incorrect:

https://www.redneckrevolt.org/

Not every right (or left) leaning site is 100% incorrect all of the time, no matter how much you want them to be.

My point was no site is correct 100% of the time...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Nice. If that is a personal jab about my quoting Infowars and their speaking of john Brown gun clubs, turns out that they weren't incorrect:

Not every right (or left) leaning site is 100% incorrect all of the time, no matter how much you want them to be.

That’s a stupid point to make in a world where many of those right “leaning” sites aren’t leaning but completely bent, and that there is a huge ocean between inaccuracy and willful misrepresentation.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Let me ask you a serious question:

You sound like you're not entirely trusting of "the media."

If "the media/news media/fake news media" - whatever you want to call it - were to completely disappear tomorrow, where would you get your information from? How would you know what goes on in the world?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That’s a stupid point to make in a world where many of those right “leaning” sites aren’t leaning but completely bent, and that there is a huge ocean between inaccuracy and willful misrepresentation.

Hey, just chucking your snarky comment right back at you. I know exactly what your were going for and I was pointing out that you were/are wrong. You decided you didn't like the source of the info I posted so you immediately discredited it despite the info's validity. I made a point in that thread and I was right...no matter how much it irks you; there is a militant left.

So you have an ax to grind with the "right"...fair enough...but acting like they're the root of all evil and that the other side isn't guilty of the same exact shit is just absurd.

You know that I respect you...so take that in mind when I say this. You yourself aren't very open minded at the moment, I doubt your ability to see things correctly when it comes to politics.. The media in general, no matter how they lean, is completely biased in one direction or another...that's my point.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Let me ask you a serious question:

You sound like you're not entirely trusting of "the media."

If "the media/news media/fake news media" - whatever you want to call it - were to completely disappear tomorrow, where would you get your information from? How would you know what goes on in the world?

I'm not "entirely trusting"...yes, that is correct. Anyone that does trust the media 100% is a fool.

Concerning your question...I do not 100% know how to answer that. Honestly, I feel much of it is noise. We live in an odd time in human history, we're bombarded by an ocean of never ending information, a vast majority of which we simply do not need to hear. We're constantly being subjected to all kinds of information, some made up, some correct, some opinions, some facts...no one can possibly have the time, or the means to sort it all out. I honestly feel that this information causes far more public harm than good. There are just things that people do not need to know...and many people that can't handle such knowledge in the first place.

I don't know how to answer your question. There's many times when I feel that the common Joe's daily life would be far better off without the media. There would be some important things that they do not land up hearing, but for every one of those, there's 100's of complete BS, or useless bits of info he'd be spared from.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
This is the problem with calling news outlets "fake news."

Trump is a perfect example - CNN is "fake news", yet he gets all of his news from Brietbart, which spins harder than the Gyroscope ride at the county fair.

I'm going to assume that you're more of a moderate with slight left/right leanings, but that fact that you can't answer my question should be very troubling to you. It scares that shit out of me - that people would rather be uninformed/misinformed than to be presented with information and make their decisions on believeability based on logic and common sense.

If social media echo chambers were physical constructs, I would cram as many people as I could into one and shoot that fucker out to space.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hey, just chucking your snarky comment right back at you. I know exactly what your were going for and I was pointing out that you were/are wrong. You decided you didn't like the source of the info I posted so you immediately discredited it despite the info's validity. I made a point in that thread and I was right...no matter how much it irks you; there is a militant left.

So you have an ax to grind with the "right"...fair enough...but acting like they're the root of all evil and that the other side isn't guilty of the same exact shit is just absurd.

You know that I respect you...so take that in mind when I say this. You yourself aren't very open minded at the moment, I doubt your ability to see things correctly when it comes to politics.. The media in general, no matter how they lean, is completely biased in one direction or another...that's my point.

I am not sure what you expect from your sources of information. As an engineer, you should know that not all data is good. But that doesn’t mean that all data is bad. Known bad sources of data should be viewed as such, and not placed on a pedestal just because it reinforces a dubious world view. What you seem to be doing is taking the two times a broken clock was right in a day, to validate it as a fully functional clock.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
In Germany, most news are facts, most interpretations of those facts though are forced to fit into the current stream, for our "own good", which I perceive as fake. Just to report is not enough for us -- this advertising pitch is consent for every major news station here.

To interpret, to explain, to construe and, most importantly, to select facts for the mass media is the custom since Goebbels' Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. To overexcite with innumerable newscast is only the youngest element in the creation of "fake" and we have to adapt.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This is the problem with calling news outlets "fake news."

Trump is a perfect example - CNN is "fake news", yet he gets all of his news from Brietbart, which spins harder than the Gyroscope ride at the county fair.

I'm going to assume that you're more of a moderate with slight left/right leanings, but that fact that you can't answer my question should be very troubling to you. It scares that shit out of me - that people would rather be uninformed/misinformed than to be presented with information and make their decisions on believeability based on logic and common sense.

If social media echo chambers were physical constructs, I would cram as many people as I could into one and shoot that fucker out to space.

-Trump is a fool in so many ways. Like many others, he's quick to label anything he disagrees with as "fake". Disagreeing with something doesn't make it fake...many do not get this.

-You're right, I'm far more "middle of the road" than most think. For the most part, I'm not for the banning of most things and rights, regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

-I'm a glutton for information. When the internet finally began to get some legs, I was on it as much as I could. I also watched news channels at every chance I could. What I found is that there are many things that I simply do not need to know and that spending my time on those things is fruitless. There are things in this world that I can do...and many things that I cannot. Wasting my energy, my time on things that I cannot control is pointless. The older I get, the more I realize this and try to practice it. Hell, in my time here I've changed quite a bit...I'm not the person I was 10 years ago. There are times when I'm embarrassed about some of the things I typed on this site, I'm not that person anymore...I'll also admit that I still have a long way to go.

I am not sure what you expect from your sources of information. As an engineer, you should know that now all data is good. But that doesn’t mean that all data is bad. Known bad sources of data should be viewed as such, and not placed on a pedestal just because it reinforces a dubious world view. What you seem to be doing is taking the two times a broken clock was right in a day, to validate it as a fully functional clock.

Specifically speaking, I did a search for a topic and Infowars was the first to pop up...I read that article and agreed with it. It was literally the last time I was on that site.

Honestly, I do not go to online news sites...any of them. Real, fake, left, right...I refuse to look at any of them.

For the hell of it...I just cued up CNN, MSNBC, and Fox news. Hell, I'll even go to shit sites like infowars and the Huff Post...yup, just as I suspected, a bunch of shit that I really do not care about:

-Trump and whatever stupidity he's doing/saying at the moment, apparently beefing with Tillerson...

-More of the never ending NFL kneeling bullshit...

-Politicians claiming that banning some stupid piece of plastic "bump-stock" would have prevented Las Vegas...

-OMG, finally a Star Wars trailer...

-Harvey Weinstein is a scumbag...

-Reiner claims that Trump is "far worse than Weinstein"...

Just like I thought, a bunch of bullshit.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I think confirmation bias and filter bubbles are going to kill us all.

Like, I remember news programs talking about "bonus points for killing prostitutes" in GTA III. I remember kids killing themselves imitating "Nerutu Sand Ninjas." I remember Jack Fuckin' Thompson being taken seriously.

I know that "The News" gets stories wrong out of a lack of care, or a desire to sensationalize for attention, while projecting an aura of authority. Like, right now, I'd call the reporting on "The Dove Ad" misleading for the sake of clicks.

I wouldn't call it misleading for the sake of the global cultural Marxist conspiracy. Also, cultural Marxism isn't why some people want Dark Souls to have an easy mode. The news isn't always keeping quiet about something you saw on reddit or /pol/ because they want you to be gunless and Sharia-compliant.

If I wanted to believe those things, though, it would be very easy to live in that world. There are plenty of people ready to reinforce those beliefs or any others I might have. Lots of people were very happy to inhabit a bubble where the current president couldn't win, etc.

The problem comes up when people see bullshit in the media and decide they can just trust their instincts to separate fact from fiction. If everything you see confirms what you already know, you're buying into your own bullshit.

I remember in an argument over in Trumpster Fire, Ki (RIP) said he had "no doubt" about the comparative honesty of the candidates. He was already getting dogpiled, so I didn't say anything at the time, but I wanted to say that that's exactly the problem. "No doubt."

I'd be posting Merc-level walls of text if I wasn't doing this at work.

TL;DR: the good news is we'll all die feeling completely vindicated.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
-Trump is a fool in so many ways. Like many others, he's quick to label anything he disagrees with as "fake". Disagreeing with something doesn't make it fake...many do not get this.

-You're right, I'm far more "middle of the road" than most think. For the most part, I'm not for the banning of most things and rights, regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

-I'm a glutton for information. When the internet finally began to get some legs, I was on it as much as I could. I also watched news channels at every chance I could. What I found is that there are many things that I simply do not need to know and that spending my time on those things is fruitless. There are things in this world that I can do...and many things that I cannot. Wasting my energy, my time on things that I cannot control is pointless. The older I get, the more I realize this and try to practice it. Hell, in my time here I've changed quite a bit...I'm not the person I was 10 years ago. There are times when I'm embarrassed about some of the things I typed on this site, I'm not that person anymore...I'll also admit that I still have a long way to go.

Specifically speaking, I did a search for a topic and Infowars was the first to pop up...I read that article and agreed with it. It was literally the last time I was on that site.

Honestly, I do not go to online news sites...any of them. Real, fake, left, right...I refuse to look at any of them.

For the hell of it...I just cued up CNN, MSNBC, and Fox news. Hell, I'll even go to shit sites like infowars and the Huff Post...yup, just as I suspected, a bunch of shit that I really do not care about:

-Trump and whatever stupidity he's doing/saying at the moment, apparently beefing with Tillerson...

-More of the never ending NFL kneeling bullshit...

-Politicians claiming that banning some stupid piece of plastic "bump-stock" would have prevented Las Vegas...

-OMG, finally a Star Wars trailer...

-Harvey Weinstein is a scumbag...

-Reiner claims that Trump is "far worse than Weinstein"...

Just like I thought, a bunch of bullshit.

What news are you looking for?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What news are you looking for?

I'm not.

If something is big/important enough (I.E Vegas Shooting), I'll hear about it. I do not need to seek it out. Sifting through the bullshit on news sites is not something I want to waste my time doing. If I'm going to waste mass amounts of my time, I'd rather do something productive...or at least enjoyable.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
How do we know that you aren't a "Crisis Actor"?

Not sure if sarcastic or not.

If so, I suck at acting. Definitely not something I want to quit my day job for.

If not, I'll be happy to direct you to a friend of mine that works at UMC where many of the dead and injured were sent.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm not.

If something is big/important enough (I.E Vegas Shooting), I'll hear about it. I do not need to seek it out. Sifting through the bullshit on news sites is not something I want to waste my time doing. If I'm going to waste mass amounts of my time, I'd rather do something productive...or at least enjoyable.

Not sure why you would want to know celebrity news or extracurricular sporting news, but if you’re panning all news as a waste of time, then it looks like you don’t care about world events. And considering that you have an opinion about everythibg, it would really help if you were more into reading all the information out there.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Not sure why you would want to know celebrity news or extracurricular sporting news, but if you’re panning all news as a waste of time, then it looks like you don’t care about world events. And considering that you have an opinion about everythibg, it would really help if you were more into reading all the information out there.

LOL...you're correct, you nailed me. I'm highly opinionated and often without knowing all of the facts. I've really made a fool of myself again and again because of that fact...I'm doing my best to change that.

Honestly, what I'm actively trying to do is shut my mouth more often. I've accomplished this less here and more in my "real" life, I'll admit it. There are things that I know quite a bit about...and things that I have zero place speaking about. I need to stay out of things that I do not know all the facts concerning the topic, I'm trying to do this more and more.

To address what you said...I'm trying to filter what I dive into:

-Does this effect me? Yes/No
-Can I change the outcome of it? Yes/No.

If the answer to the second question is "no"...I'm probably not wasting my time on it. I know this may sound shitty...but at least I'm honest, unlike many others. Diving into the troubles of others when my own life has issues seems silly to me, addressing issues that I cannot change also seems like a fruitless endeavor.

I won't say that I'm a 100% success...but I am gaining ground, or at least I feel that I am.

It was this way over in the Trumpster section. I made the foolish choice to throw my hat into that ring. I'll admit that I am not as learned as some are when it comes to national politics...but on the other hand, I'm not as blindly prejudice as others are either. As Americans, we we given two candidates...and mostly the mostly fake concept of choice. I live in Illinois...if I voted, if I didn't...didn't matter, Ill electoral votes went to Clinton and it was never going to be anything different. My opinion on the issue didn't/doesn't matter...I should have reflected that before I made a single comment in that section. I won't make that mistake again.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

If the answer to the second question is "no"...I'm probably not wasting my time on it.

You can't change the outcome of the Vegas shooting, so why are you wasting so much time posting in this thread?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You can't change the outcome of the Vegas shooting, so why are you wasting so much time posting in this thread?

Honestly, this one does effect me. Outside of this forum I am doing my part concerning the aftermath of this.

Here? I'm rambling...as usual. It's entertainment.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
LOL...you're correct, you nailed me. I'm highly opinionated and often without knowing all of the facts. I've really made a fool of myself again and again because of that fact...I'm doing my best to change that.

Honestly, what I'm actively trying to do is shut my mouth more often. I've accomplished this less here and more in my "real" life, I'll admit it. There are things that I know quite a bit about...and things that I have zero place speaking about. I need to stay out of things that I do not know all the facts concerning the topic, I'm trying to do this more and more.

If the answer to the second question is "no"...I'm probably not wasting my time on it. I know this may sound shitty...but at least I'm honest, unlike many others. Diving into the troubles of others when my own life has issues seems silly to me, addressing issues that I cannot change also seems like a fruitless endeavor.

I won't say that I'm a 100% success...but I am gaining ground, or at least I feel that I am.

It was this way over in the Trumpster section. I made the foolish choice to throw my hat into that ring. I'll admit that I am not as learned as some are when it comes to national politics...but on the other hand, I'm not as blindly prejudice as others are either. As Americans, we we given two candidates...and mostly the mostly fake concept of choice. I live in Illinois...if I voted, if I didn't...didn't matter, Ill electoral votes went to Clinton and it was never going to be anything different. My opinion on the issue didn't/doesn't matter...I should have reflected that before I made a single comment in that section. I won't make that mistake again.

Rather than shutting your mouth, read more “fake news.” If you wanta conservative slant, stick to TheHill and the Economist (usedtl be considered right before the tea partiers shifted everything far right), and avoid TheBlaze, infowars, and breitbart.