LIght Gun games

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Just plug the composite from player one's lightgun into the back of your RGB cable, then piggyback player two's composite into the player one plug and you're all set.

This even works when I'm running everything through my Extron Crosspoint switch...even works when I run it through my RGB to YPbPr converter for use on consumer CRT TV's (i.e. you really can't fuck it up).

Right on, I was just asking because a lot of time the Guncon 2 controllers don't come with the "Y cable" that allows piggy backing.

I guess if you didn't have one, you could just use any RCA splitter adapter to achieve the piggy back.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So i ended up getting an emulation setup recently & notice that there is actually light gun capabilities. So im thinking of picking up some light guns from www.arcadeguns.com but those guns looks like shit & really expensive; ($250) for two without recoil seriously.. Why isn't there a 3rd party Namco gun recoil available all these years...

Anyway, the possibilities of being able to play so many light games is pretty awesome. So might end up getting one, was hoping some one can chime in if they had any experience with this. There is even a more expensive option the Amtrak w/ recoil is going cost about $450 for two guns. Worth it?

http://arcadeguns.com/

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
So i ended up getting an emulation setup recently & notice that there is actually light gun capabilities. So im thinking of picking up some light guns from www.arcadeguns.com but those guns looks like shit & really expensive; ($250) for two without recoil seriously.. Why isn't there a 3rd party Namco gun recoil available all these years...

Anyway, the possibilities of being able to play so many light games is pretty awesome. So might end up getting one, was hoping some one can chime in if they had any experience with this. There is even a more expensive option the Amtrak w/ recoil is going cost about $450 for two guns. Worth it?

http://arcadeguns.com/

Pretty damn expensive and those AimTrak guns are for LCD use only (requiring a sensor bar) it looks like?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
What emulation has true lightgun support? It's usually all IR based.

The AimTraks, as shown on this site:

http://arcadeemulator.net/

are the creme-dela-creme of IR lightguns, FYI - especially with recoil engine with 36v power pack used.

The cheaper version is the EMS Topgun III from stores like Play-Asia. which are pretty crappily built from what I hear.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Pretty damn expensive and those AimTrak guns are for LCD use only (requiring a sensor bar) it looks like?

ive been looking into those lately but didnt realize they were LCD only. Makes sense but that sucks. they dont make a CRT variant?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My choice is PS2 paired with a Gun-Con2:

Time Crisis 2
Time Crisis 3
Crisis Zone
Gun Vari Collection: Gun Bulllet 1 - 3 and OG Time Crisis
Virtua Cop: Elite Edition

And a few others... Resident Evil / Gun Survivor, Vampire Night, Ninja Assault...

I agree with this. The Time Crisis Series are some of the best LG Shooters I ever played.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I agree with this. The Time Crisis Series are some of the best LG Shooters I ever played.

yeah PS2 wins hands down. has quantity and quality

followed by....Dreamcast i guess?.....i guess Wii and PS3 if you count MOVE and WIIMOTE games.

also sucks that more games didnt support the Guncon 3.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Why isn't there a 3rd party Namco gun recoil available all these years...

When I worked in a arcade 97-98 the recoil motor on our Time Crisis gun was always breaking. I'm not sure I'd trust a 3rd party when the official one couldn't even get it right.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
When I worked in a arcade 97-98 the recoil motor on our Time Crisis gun was always breaking. I'm not sure I'd trust a 3rd party when the official one couldn't even get it right.

For commercial use, yeah i can see that breaking but for home use i doubt it. Gun games gets a ton of abuse by little shits.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Gunblade NY/L.A Machineguns
I don't have the Wii versions but I love the arcade cabs for these. Giant guns, and so much bass shaking the floor when things explode. Also the way you never stand still and always circle about, as enemies try to cartwheel around your bullets, it just feels so dynamic.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
PS2 for sure. Don't forget that PS2 can play all the PS1 lightgun games too. Oh and if your Guncons are having trouble with your PVM try adjusting your brightness. Cranked mine up and the guncons started working a ton better.

Also do you guys have the Guncon AV adapter cable? Makes things easier to wire on the PS2.
18390018b0af63267391ac1f126a8e8d.jpg

Also do you guys remember the Jolt Light guns? Been thinking of getting one just cus I like the physical clicking of light gun.
57.jpg

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I see a lot of people have mentioned the Aim Trak - I had one of these to try and bypass the need for a CRT in my gaming set up and so I could keep playing PS2 and the Time Crisis games... total waste of time.

The Aim Trak may well be fine with an LCD and MAME, but it is seriously lacking when compared to the original Gun-Con 2. Another thing I found was, because of the location of the buttons on the Aim Trak, playing Time Crisis was very uncomfortable to the point of making it unplayable for me. The Aim Trak is also nowhere near as good on build quality - squeeze the gun in the palm of your hand and the two halves of the plastic case that make up the barrel and butt (no bum jokes!) will distort... meh.

My advice, if you've got a PS2 and Gun-Con 2 get yourself a CRT if you've not got one already. I went out and bought a nice Sony Trinitron 19" Widescreen for £1 off of eBay which I literally only use for PS2 / Gun-Con 2 shenanigans.

Oh, and as for LCD, the Gun-Con 3 is also better than the Aim Trak.

MonoTekETeA

NEST Puppet
No love for Elemental Gearbolt?

But yeah, PS2 was the best console for pure quantity of quality light gun games.

I used to collect them, but I started to get into arcade games more.

My favorite is Warzaid due to the 'leveling up' your ranking, like police trainer 1&2, my close second.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Also do you guys remember the Jolt Light guns? Been thinking of getting one just cus I like the physical clicking of light gun.
View attachment 47261

I have some Aimtraks installed Super Jolt Gun/Real Arcade Gun setups combined with a Guitar Hero pedal. The solenoid in it is much better than those included with the Aimtrak plus having a working slide is much more immersive than just a *thunk* when you pull the trigger. Quality-wise you can't get much better than those Super Jolt Guns short of buying arcade Time Crisis gun. It's heavy as hell compared to a regular Guncon, but that just goes along with the experience.

I originally bought those Aimtraks from Ultimarc and they came in a shell that looked to be a direct copy of a Guncon 1 mold. They looked much better than the oddball shit that the other resellers were using.

I really like being able to use it as Guncon 2 on a PS2. I have a one shitty cab I threw together with a MAME lightgun setup but also have a PS2 via HDMI to the LCD monitor. I find myself using the Aimtrak with the PS2 more than with MAME. Plus I am able to link the PS2 to another PS2 hooked to a floor model TV next to the cab for some 2 player Time Crisis action.

As for the Aimtrak sensor bar that was already mentioned, it pretty much works just like a Wii sensor bar. You're not getting real line-of-sight aiming unless you calibrate it, and even after you do you're required to not move from the same spot. The Aimtrak just acts a mouse cursor on your PC.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I really want to get a Rambo 4 deluxe arcade cab but i just dont have the room. Does anyone have it & can you interchange other shootings games without changing the wiring on it for like House of Head 4, Lets Go Jungle, etc..

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
man i cant believe i've been playing Policenauts on PS1 with a mouse and controller when apparently the English Saturn version is out.

Luckily im not THAT far on PS1. i was getting annoyed at the shooting range trying to fumble around with mouse and controller and its frustrating so decided to look and see if there was Guncon patch. Low and behold there is an actual English Saturn patch. Stunner goodness

Apparently there is Guncon patch out there somewhere aswell but i couldnt find it.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
My favorite is Warzaid due to the 'leveling up' your ranking, like police trainer 1&2, my close second.

Light gun games are awesome and the Police trainers are some of the best IMO just due alone to the replay factor. Im still on the look out for one locally but no luck yet. Will have to look into warzaid, sounds promising.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Probably one of the coolest collectors edition released.

elemental-gearbolt-assassin-case.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Are there any PS2 lightgun games for two players that don't use split screen (both players use one shared screen instead)?

Last edited: