Streets of Rage 4 Reveal Trailer

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Played through this co-op with a friend. It was meh. Not bad, not spectacular. Last bosses were really lame anime fodder.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Aesthetically, the high water mark for me is PGM2 Oriental Legend 2.

That game takes 4+ hours to beat. Just over 3 hours too long for a beat 'em up, personally.

Preordered the Limited Run PS4 version. Not sure I can wait that long to play it. If not, they're getting my money twice.

Jon

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Played through this co-op with a friend. It was meh. Not bad, not spectacular. Last bosses were really lame anime fodder.

Yeah, the Y twins were lame as fuck tbh. Not intimidating like Mr. X at all. Remember the first time you made it to Mr. X, and he snapped his fingers and enemy fodder came out?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah I also don't understand the choice for making the biker enemies into fat women. I'd probably get countered with, 'so why are there fat men?' on other forums but whatever.

I swear they turned Blaze latina.

Lol yea. She has that whole hot early 90's latina thing going for her. Big Loop earrings and all. Looks good but a bit outdated.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah, the Y twins were lame as fuck tbh. Not intimidating like Mr. X at all. Remember the first time you made it to Mr. X, and he snapped his fingers and enemy fodder came out?

Dude, that last boss fight is epic as fuck. Mr. X has a dark sinister Scarface Alejandro Sosa thing going for him. Sitting in that Lavish Office with the red carpet, gold trim, legs crossed on that big ass leather chair. You knew shit was about to get real. He gives the signal and it's a one on one with Shiva. The Music, tommy gun, ending. Perfection.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Exactly man. He just sits there, watching you fight his goons, all the while doing nothing. You know shit's about to get real when you beat the goons up. Then he stands up with a tommy gun! But tommy guns aren't allowed in beat 'em ups!

Dunno what the French team was thinking with this remake. Could've been better. Way better. Can't stand how boring the stages look. Lifeless.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This is why the game is fine, but it's not Streets of Rage. I don't care if you get the finest development studio in the world; once this much time has passed, you're in reboot territory, not a sequel. And since it isn't the original staff from the original trilogy, it amounts to more or less a professional fan game. It's someone else's take on the series.

It's just like how Sonic 4 didn't deserve to have the 4 in the title. I'm not directly comparing the quality of this to that though.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea bro, I understand where you're coming from.

Had Bomber Link been involved in this project I could almost guarantee the outcome would be much better.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
who tf is Bomber Link? razo you sound liek a gamer fag.

PS you and your family doing ok recently. stay strong brother

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Couldn’t wait for the physical version to come in, so scooped this up last night.

I respectfully disagree that this isn’t Streets of Rage. This game is dope as fuck. They nailed it. The mechanics are updated just enough to add a bit more substance, and the music is exactly what I hoped it would be. The atmosphere of the game is spot on. I set my expectations low for this, but they knocked this one right out the damn park.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Come on man... it's a lame french game from a bunch of SoR fans. The enemy designs are pathetic.
Blaze is by far the best thing this game has going for it. She legitimately looks like the real deal.
But that's about it.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
-They omitted some very valuable sor3 contributions like running, vertical dashing and boxing kangaroos.

-enemy design looked very "woke", lots of powerful female characters with imposing presence and male characters had...diminished intensity.
Like shiva or barbon. Or shit, how about the Y twins...the sister is the strong fighter and the brother is the pussy who fights with ballistic weapons.

-floyd: another casualty of the disfigured brotha trope, toss him in the pile with Geordie LaForge, Maj. Jackson "Jax" Briggs, Spawn, Cyborg from teen titans, etc.

Missed opportunity to feature a badass Samoan(?) In this game with actual arms, and a whole lotta gold jewellery and moko tattoos.

-Axel Stone gets a new outfit, but Max is still in those same wrestling trunks from Sor2?

-Blaze was decent, Adam is awesome...so good work on those two though

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
That game takes 4+ hours to beat. Just over 3 hours too long for a beat 'em up, personally.

herb and PhoenixDown fast tracked it before you got to my house in about 2hrs.

But I hear ya.

It’s why they have the memory cards for OL2 & KoV. Bash for about an hour, save stats/items/progress, play again some other time.

The branching paths and length are only a hinderance, if you don’t have cards.

*i have hella cards for both games. Ping me if you need a few.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The fact that you're beating up the fat chicks with helmets is Schrodinger's social justice. Is it problematic because violence towards women or empowering because inclusivity? Don't give a fuck either way. Those people can eat all the dicks.

Enjoying the game thus far. The feel is right and even though the art is a little too shiny and Newgrounds-y for my taste, it's not actively offensive. This is about as good as you could hope for for a game released 25 years later. You either go the Mega Man 9 route and have it just feel like a rom hack or you go this route and have it not look/sound exactly like you want it.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The shield dudes are not too tough to get rid of when you get a hang of things though in the midst of the chaos maybe a little harder. With Axle its a downward flykick combined with a fly kick before landing and then a few punches. The big guy you throw an enemy or a weapon at the shield and then pummel

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I liked neon...

I tried to play it again the other day and I just couldn't get into it at all. Maybe I should stick to it a bit more? I mean I don't consider some of you unreasonable in your tastes and valuations so maybe

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
who tf is Bomber Link? razo you sound liek a gamer fag.

PS you and your family doing ok recently. stay strong brother

Bomber Games are the dudes responsible for the fan remake. I really like the Streets of Rage games.

Family is doing great brother. Thanks for asking.

Edit: Its Bomber Games not Bomber Link

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I really like this game quite a bit. I'm having fun with it

But for SoR fans, I get it. I recently fired up my Genesis collection on PS3 to revisit those games and I agree with the criticisms for SoR4. Especially the 'Newgrounds' style art and the subtle SJW/'woke' design theory. It doesn't affect the gameplay for me but it's noticeable. 10 years ago, this game would have had a vastly different aesthetic. This game is worse for it in terms of art direction.

The gameplay is fun. I think my favorite character to play is Adam. That dash punch cancels from anything. Also, he has a dash step that is great for some bosses. Why the hell doesn't every character have something like this? And why can only the guitar girl run?

The woman cop and the kung fu dude should have been playable.

I have worked enough on my skill that I can do a complete run on normal difficulty without having to restart a stage.

I don't regret buying this at all.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Plated through in online co-op. Just finished hard mode. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The game play is good; you have to get past the art style.

I agree Adam is the best, followed by Cherry for me, personally.

Playing as the unlocked classic characters is fun, but they look ridiculous in the game. They make no sense.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I really like this game quite a bit. I'm having fun with it

But for SoR fans, I get it. I recently fired up my Genesis collection on PS3 to revisit those games and I agree with the criticisms for SoR4. Especially the 'Newgrounds' style art and the subtle SJW/'woke' design theory. It doesn't affect the gameplay for me but it's noticeable. 10 years ago, this game would have had a vastly different aesthetic. This game is worse for it in terms of art direction.

The gameplay is fun. I think my favorite character to play is Adam. That dash punch cancels from anything. Also, he has a dash step that is great for some bosses. Why the hell doesn't every character have something like this? And why can only the guitar girl run?

The woman cop and the kung fu dude should have been playable.

I have worked enough on my skill that I can do a complete run on normal difficulty without having to restart a stage.

I don't regret buying this at all.

I agree with all this. Sage, DR all have valid gripes with this game as well. No one is wrong here. You either love it, like it, or hate it. Whether its art design, music, etc. I think the game is a 7 maybe 8 just because the gameplay is solid.

Some things feel off. LB I think mentioned the throws aren't as satisfying and I kind of agree with this. I recall in Sor2 when you would throw a enemy there would be loud thump when they hit the floor and the screen would shake and hanging lights would move (bridge stage SOR2). In Stage 4 when you're on the pitcher's mound elevator and the music kicks in, you hear the 4 beeps and each enemy drops in sync with the beep. Amusement park stage inside the house of horrors you got that bad ass music and fog. In SoR1 you got the trash blowing around in the bg, water leaking from old drains. Shit like that is missing.

It's a combination of little things in a game that makes all the difference. I feel this one doesn't have enough of those special things that made the original games great.

I guess I'm the old guy stuck in the past.

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Retro crt option in video settings isn't too bad actually. Scanlines.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I agree with all this. Sage, DR all have valid gripes with this game as well. No one is wrong here. You either love it, like it, or hate it. Whether its art design, music, etc. I think the game is a 7 maybe 8 just because the gameplay is solid.

Some things feel off. LB I think mentioned the throws aren't as satisfying and I kind of agree with this. I recall in Sor2 when you would throw a enemy there would be loud thump when they hit the floor and the screen would shake and hanging lights would move (bridge stage SOR2). In Stage 4 when you're on the pitcher's mound elevator and the music kicks in, you hear the 4 beeps and each enemy drops in sync with the beep. Amusement park stage inside the house of horrors you got that bad ass music and fog. In SoR1 you got the trash blowing around in the bg, water leaking from old drains. Shit like that is missing.

It's a combination of little things in a game that makes all the difference. I feel this one doesn't have enough of those special things that made the original games great.

I guess I'm the old guy stuck in the past.

I don't know if old man stuck in the past or more someone who appreciates the work put in to make a cohesive intriguing world.
I do enjoy the gameplay myself, been so long since we had a true beat em up, and I really appreciate that they kept it simple, no overcomplicated combo systems, nice rhythmic fighting gameplay flow.

But the amount of adulation this game is garnering from so many is ridiculous, and I honestly wonder why standards are so low these days, or at least expectations on the part of game players. Not saying everyone is wrong and I'm right, that would be ridiculous. But people do tend to want to be seen as aligned with trends. Over enthusiasm is a bit sickening to me with things like these.
For me it's a 6, but then to me SoR 2 is a 7.5 so not too shabby

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I’m enjoying it, most fun I’ve had with a game this year

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I just spent all weekend playing the 4-player co-op mode with my family. I initially thought the game was just “ok”, but once we started unlocking the classic versions of the characters (and their more varied mechanics and play-styles that became available as a result), the game really started showing its true potential.

Some comment about the game’s lack of background details but the game actually has a a lot of enemies and situations that cue music shifts and has a lot of animated and interactive environment effects. You can even toggle these background effects on and off in the options if desired.

I think what makes this game truly shine is choice.

If we aren’t digging the new art style, they added the option to pause and toggle the retro sprite and graphic/filter effects at any time.

The new ost has some good tracks in the mix, but if we’re not feeling it, we can pause the game and toggle the older soundtrack at will. Aside from Yuzo’s tracks, the music in stage 8 really stood out for me (classic Sega Out Run reference at the beginning of the track; and amps up at 1:21):

Double Dragon Advance and the psp Ikkitousen games are some of my favorite beat em ups due to their fighting game style mechanics and combat variation. Streets of Rage 4 is not nearly as deep, but it does make up for it by allowing you to pick and choose the character, move-set, and individual character mechanics that suit your own playstyle or those of your co-op partners.

It’s not a revolution for the series, but is rather a fun “love letter” to the older games in the same vein as the well-received Sonic Mania. You’ll either love it or hate depending on how much of a tolerance you have for the rehashed content and the clash of the newer enemies and design choices.

Opinion will vary on whether Streets of Rage Remake is a better love letter than SoR 4, but this is a fun outing that shows it’s potential the more you invest and unlock.

When it comes to sequels, I tend to prefer game-mechanic additions and series progress over the rehash/love letter/play-it safe approach to designing a successor to a great title. Japanese developers from the 80’s and 90’s always had to find that balance between keeping what worked and fleshing out new directions and ideas for a series. Some series played it safe for as long as possible and other game series prefered to reinvent themselves with each series entry.

SoR4 is made by a different team who clearly held those older SoR 1-3 games in high esteem, but since they are not the original game developers who created those original games, their direction and vision for the series will be totally different.

Let’s remember that had Sega not turned it down, this would have been “Streets of Rage 4” in the Saturn-era:

fighting-force.jpg

Streets of Rage 4 is definitely something special in my humble opinion and worth a play with friends and family. If nothing else, at least it got a lot of people pining for more beat em ups again.

Last edited: