Preparing for quarantine

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I’m a low key prepper. I’ll be honest, if I had the space - I would be one. My fiancé and I had a discussion about it yesterday after we got a month or so worth of groceries. She had no idea how paranoid I was.

She did say however, is she actually is relieved. She’d rather be with someone who has a months supply of food Incase of quarantine, rather than be trying to get supplies.

It was about a month ago I got a few bottles of sanitizer and some extra soap and TP. Two days later the hysteria started. I ordered some more off amazon, and a week later - they’re out.

I said it earlier but I’ll say it again. I’m honestly really scared, and I feel like things are changing indefinitely

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Yeah, this shit sucks... I've been following it since the initial cases began getting attention on BBC.

I stocked up on food and necessary items a few weeks ago. I figure we're set for a month or so. I've got a 1 year old and a 4 year old in the house. They're already stir crazy, and it's like day 0.5...

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Wife's remote for the next 30 days and my company's on a rolling 2-week remote schedule for the foreseeable future. Time to catch up on the movie backlog and git gud at Granblue Fantasy Versus, I guess.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Well the grocery stores where I live have been ransacked hardcore. Niiiccce. Fucking 28 days later stuff. I am just a single dude, but I got enough to last me like two months. Lucky for me I am used to eating like 1,000-1500 calories a day. Water shouldn't be an issue. Wait.... has the paranoia hit me too? Nah.... I think I will go see a movie tonight.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I bought 40 litres of cider today, this is my only stockpiling effort. If the shit really hits the fan people are going to arrange food reaching those in need. No one is going to bring me booze.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
With that said...it really hasn't "hit" America yet. Isn't this all premature? It seems to me that the next few weeks are going to be a ghost town...then it's "back to work!!!" as usual...THEN people will start randomly getting sick. Perhaps I'm wrong...but it sure seems that way to me.

Yes, this is the scary thing. The virus needs to be starved out. If it seems like it's died down but only one person still has it, then it will start all over again.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Yes, this is the scary thing. The virus needs to be starved out. If it seems like it's died down but only one person still has it, then it will start all over again.

You're losing the plot now dude. No one's eradicating a new virus within 6 months of it's arrival. People aren't going to live their lives in a bubble for the 6 months or whatever that would take, and so they shouldn't, you can't just surrender all society so a handful of old people don't die.

We'll all get this at some point, yes some people will die, we'll build up some immunity and it will blend into the background of endless viruses that fuck humans over her here and there and we all just live with.

Think of this as a test run for when something truly horrible, some kind of airborn HIV, hits us. This is a training pants tier virus.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If what you're advocating is 'you know what, fuck it, let's just all get sick and wait it out', then that means (based on a 2-3% death rate) anywhere from around 1,340,000 to 2,010,000 people will die in the UK alone.

For the US, that would be 6,603,013 to 9,904,520 people dead.

I don't think the governments in power want that to happen.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Those are sobering numbers, but let's not lose sight of what's most important here: all of those deaths would free up a lot of toilet paper.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
If what you're advocating is 'you know what, fuck it, let's just all get sick and wait it out', then that means (based on a 2-3% death rate) anywhere from around 1,340,000 to 2,010,000 people will die in the UK alone.

You're assuming 100% infection rate which is a huge false assumption.

StevenK

10 Year Member

I'm not advocating anything, i'm just saying what I think will happen, because I don't think we have a choice. The idea that the planet should sit indoors for x number of months until there is no known cases of covid 19 left on earth is absurd. It has never been done before (without vaccination) and will never be done. We can't even get people to stop smoking when it's well known the fatality rate is 50%+.

Plunging the world into not recession but straight up global bankruptcy would kill off about 90% of us.

Btw herd immunity will kick in a long time before we get near to your numbers.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I'm not advocating anything, i'm just saying what I think will happen, because I don't think we have a choice. The idea that the planet should sit indoors for x number of months until there is no known cases of covid 19 left on earth is absurd.

And pointless
Screenshot_2020-03-14-17-02-26.pngScreenshot_2020-03-14-17-09-40.png

They say it lasts for 9 days on surfaces. I don't care how much you wash your hands or isolate if a virus is out there its on Stuff it isn't going to die off. What the real motivation of locking down populations for "their {supposed} safety" is I don't know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-14-17-01-59.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-14-17-01-59.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 126

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
We went to grocery outlet, big lots, and a restaurant supply store. Got 3 weeks of good organic food, toilet paper, disinfectant wipes, etc etc with almost no line at all.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
And pointless

They say it lasts for 9 days on surfaces. I don't care how much you wash your hands or isolate if a virus is out there its on Stuff it isn't going to die off. What the real motivation of locking down populations for "their {supposed} safety" is I don't know.

The government is probably doing the right thing, in order to avoid, or prolong the mess as much as possible. What motives do they have to keep us locked-up in doors for months?

Most people, myself included, think the death rate is less than 3%, so we will be just fine. Probably true! However, there are many more things to factor in besides most of us will survive. If everyone is running around contaminating every soul they come in contact with, then we will be in a situation like Italy, where there are too many cases to treat. Hospitals would much rather have a lot less cases, spread out over several months, opposed to thousands of cases concentrated within a few weeks.

So what happens in the everyone runs around town scenario, is that hospitals get too many people, and they do not have the resources to treat them. Dr's have to make decisions like "which patient gets this last ventilator, and who is going to have to tough it out?"

I don't know where you all live, but here in Ohio there's only about 5 hospitals worth a damn. In my hospital, which has a 100 bed ER, and right around 1000 admission beds, we have people sent to us every single day, from every podunk hospital in Ohio, and even Kentucky, and West Virginia. These hospitals are incapable of treating people that are actually sick, because they suck. This is pretty much every hospital not in a major city. They will kill you. I've seen all kinds of people come in all fucked up because some other shitty hospital killed/nearly killed them. One that comes to mind is when a guy came to us that had steak stuck in his throat, and some other hospital perforated his esophagus and lodged the steak in his chest. Creating open air. So handling coronavirus, and preventing the spread of diseases, is not their thing. They can only hope to stabilize a patient and not kill them before shipping them somewhere good. Occasionally, in the small farming communities, there may be a some hospital that has a really kick ass trauma room, because they have so many farming accidents, but in most situations, the only hospitals that are equip to treat critically ill people, are the big ones.

Also, at least in Ohio, every critically ill patient is a 1v1 patient to nurse. There is just not enough staff to take care of this many people. I'm sure these rules would be bent if a pandemic really hit hard, but even then, you need to factor in the medical staff that become patients.

Another thing worth noting, is that almost all medications are manufactured overseas. For example End Stage Renal Disease medication is made in one single plant overseas, as are IV bags. If you remember hurricane Katrina, it was a huge deal for hospitals, because all the IV bags are made in one factory in that area, and the plant couldn't meet demand. It was somewhat of a medical crisis, most people are unaware of.

So there are a lot of reasons that are factored into a decision like this. Yeah, there is a lot of media hype, and misinformation, in order to keep ratings up. However, there is also a lot of solid information that needs to be taken seriously. You probably won't get Coronavirus, and if you do you probably won't die. But take into consideration the elderly, and terminally ill people that needs meds, and take into consideration that maybe someone in your family might not be as lucky, and might be the one that doesn't get a ventilator to help them breathe if they need it.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The government is probably doing the right thing, in order to avoid, or prolong the mess as much as possible. What motives do they have to keep us locked-up in doors for months?

Most people, myself included, think the death rate is less than 3%, so we will be just fine. Probably true! However, there are many more things to factor in besides most of us will survive. If everyone is running around contaminating every soul they come in contact with, then we will be in a situation like Italy, where there are too many cases to treat. Hospitals would much rather have a lot less cases, spread out over several months, opposed to thousands of cases concentrated within a few weeks.

So what happens in the everyone runs around town scenario, is that hospitals get too many people, and they do not have the resources to treat them. Dr's have to make decisions like "which patient gets this last ventilator, and who is going to have to tough it out?"

I don't know where you all live, but here in Ohio there's only about 5 hospitals worth a damn. In my hospital, which has a 100 bed ER, and right around 1000 admission beds, we have people sent to us every single day, from every podunk hospital in Ohio, and even Kentucky, and West Virginia. These hospitals are incapable of treating people that are actually sick, because they suck. This is pretty much every hospital not in a major city. They will kill you. I've seen all kinds of people come in all fucked up because some other shitty hospital killed/nearly killed them. One that comes to mind is when a guy came to us that had steak stuck in his throat, and some other hospital perforated his esophagus and lodged the steak in his chest. Creating open air. So handling coronavirus, and preventing the spread of diseases, is not their thing. They can only hope to stabilize a patient and not kill them before shipping them somewhere good. Occasionally, in the small farming communities, there may be a some hospital that has a really kick ass trauma room, because they have so many farming accidents, but in most situations, the only hospitals that are equip to treat critically ill people, are the big ones.

Also, at least in Ohio, every critically ill patient is a 1v1 patient to nurse. There is just not enough staff to take care of this many people. I'm sure these rules would be bent if a pandemic really hit hard, but even then, you need to factor in the medical staff that become patients.

Another thing worth noting, is that almost all medications are manufactured overseas. For example End Stage Renal Disease medication is made in one single plant overseas, as are IV bags. If you remember hurricane Katrina, it was a huge deal for hospitals, because all the IV bags are made in one factory in that area, and the plant couldn't meet demand. It was somewhat of a medical crisis, most people are unaware of.

So there are a lot of reasons that are factored into a decision like this. Yeah, there is a lot of media hype, and misinformation, in order to keep ratings up. However, there is also a lot of solid information that needs to be taken seriously. You probably won't get Coronavirus, and if you do you probably won't die. But take into consideration the elderly, and terminally ill people that needs meds, and take into consideration that maybe someone in your family might not be as lucky, and might be the one that doesn't get a ventilator to help them breathe if they need it.

Well said, so many ignorant people out there can’t get their head around this.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's been infuriating going on facebook seeing people openly traveling and still attending events with hundreds of people.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's been infuriating going on facebook seeing people openly traveling and still attending events with hundreds of people.

I was going to travel this year and I was thinking of waiting a couple months but honestly I think the year is out on that. 2020 the year of living indoors.

StevenK

10 Year Member
UK strategy is becoming clear - gubmint seems to be aiming for herd immunity by allowing most people to become infected but anyone over 70 to self isolate completely for 3 or more months, with the hope of timing it just right.

Thoughts?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
UK strategy is becoming clear - gubmint seems to be aiming for herd immunity by allowing most people to become infected but anyone over 70 to self isolate completely for 3 or more months, with the hope of timing it just right.

Thoughts?

It's honestly a real interesting approach. Dunno where they come up with isolating for 3 months when it usually passes through after two weeks. Hope it all works out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fuck I read it wrong and now I look like a flippin buffoon, a BUFFOON, can't edit godDAMMIT