Kentarou Miura passed away?????(creator of BERSERK)

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
God damn, what a loss, so young. Berserk has influenced so much for decades. I've heard it described as Japan's Star Wars in it's reverence. An incredible work that I started reading in my early teens...

RIP Miura.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
If hbo willing to pick up the rights . This will be bigger and better then Game of throne ( they would need to sign the cast to a capped 10 season contract like lord of the ring so they dont sacrifice quality for budget )

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This is tragic on a bunch of levels. It's upsetting on the loss of a man, the loss of an artist, and the loss of a genuine masterpiece.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
If hbo willing to pick up the rights . This will be bigger and better then Game of throne ( they would need to sign the cast to a capped 10 season contract like lord of the ring so they dont sacrifice quality for budget )
Oh hell no.

Either his staff, who knew him best, finishes the story or no one does.

I am absolutely crestfallen about this news.

And yes, it's almost entirely because we will never get a creator driven vision of the story's finale.

RIP, Kentaro Miura. Thanks for enriching my life with your wonderful story.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Fuck noo!!! Honestly.

Rip. The detail in berserk is second to none its never going to be finished right. This is heartbreaking news and i own all the released volumes of his work along with deluxe editions.

Man this seriously bums me out.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
His staff is good enough to produce a quality work that honors his pencils

But can they lay out a page the way he can?

Will the characters act and speak in a manner consistent with his creative vision?

Did they even know how the story was supposed to go?

Who takes the lead?

I mean...I'm not opposed to his staff finishing the work.

But I absolutely do NOT want some gaikokujin picking up what he put down.

I'd rather get a stick figure rendition from a member of his family over HBO or some other Western producer finishing it.

And yes, for all the reasons you could imagine.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
It definitely will not deliver on his vision. A vision we will regretfully never see. Such a sad day. I don't blame muira for taking his time, berserk is definitely a series that needs all the time in the world to maintain its quality. I honestly loved the latest chapters and it definitely is turning into a conclusion with the skull knight and guts direction at this point.

I hope he told his staff where he was going and trained them well. He started a new series just to train his staff on replicating his art style he must have been preparing just in case. God rest his soul.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The way manga works usually...his staff can probably draw much better than he can. They are the next generation of guys we’ll eventually know and respect. However unless the relationship was extremely special the real story is probably over forever.

The way manga works usually...it will never be finished. If he signed it away to Jump they’d probably have some legal way of continuing with a bullshit version of the story forever. I’m pretty sure Young Animal doesn’t have the goods though so it’s likely to just never be finished...which is frustrating of course but it could be worse. It could be Star Wars or some other garbage that just runs forever and ever like a broken sewer pipe.

I never got into this manga since what little I saw of it was so fucking violent I knew I wasn’t going to like it. In the subsequent 20+ years though I’ve only heard great things so clearly this is a bummer for his fans and the manga world in general.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Given the global impact the manga had, I wouldnt be surprised if an effort was made to continue it somehow. It isn't a cottage franchise anymore and ita status could affect these decisions.

We will see.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This…this just can’t be :(

My deep and sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

May he rest in peace. His work is well admired and his legacy will continue to live on in the hearts of his countless fans around the world.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Given the global impact the manga had, I wouldnt be surprised if an effort was made to continue it somehow. It isn't a cottage franchise anymore and ita status could affect these decisions.

We will see.
I don’t think James Cameron knows about it so everything should be fine.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I made a joke about Elden Ring in another thread, but a friend suggested that Hidetaka Miyazaki would be the best candidate to close the door on the series.

I didn't get into what he meant by that, but I can imagine him helming an artistically successful project that serves not so much as a conclusion as it does an epitaph.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Miyazaki should certainly be invited to contribute his ideas and thoughts. I don't know that I'd give him any actual authority on a projected finish but he understands the material on a level that his contributions would be worth taking into considerarion.

Reactions: SML

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I had always heard he was obsessed with stupid Idolmaster and that was delaying writing more story. I also heard that he didn't use assistants to help with the backgrounds/cleanup...not sure if that's accurate, though.

Anyway, I was reading a recent chapter that had a comment in the section below the chapter that really brought home how LONG people had to wait for a new chapter. The guy describes getting into Berserk right after Guts gets the Berserk armor (circa 2003, I believe) and, it just drives the point home how little had been released in the 17 years following that.

Anyway, I for one am sad to (finally) confirm we will never know how the story was to end. RIP.

Jon

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The idol master rumors were too many to deny. But I think his health was the public reason for his frequent hiatuses.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The twats over as skullcuck.net kept excusing his delinquincies for years.

YEARS!

They continued to deny the allegations of his addiiction to Idolmaster. 'It was just the one time and became a meme', they said.

I mean...I love Berserk but their enabling bordered on univeraity tier.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I had always heard he was obsessed with stupid Idolmaster and that was delaying writing more story. I also heard that he didn't use assistants to help with the backgrounds/cleanup...not sure if that's accurate, though.

Anyway, I was reading a recent chapter that had a comment in the section below the chapter that really brought home how LONG people had to wait for a new chapter. The guy describes getting into Berserk right after Guts gets the Berserk armor (circa 2003, I believe) and, it just drives the point home how little had been released in the 17 years following that.

Anyway, I for one am sad to (finally) confirm we will never know how the story was to end. RIP.

Jon

Yep, it was a meme for awhile but I really got into and caught up with the series, and the releases dried up while I was in early high school and Guts was on the boat heading somewhere. I forget about Berserk and 5 years later I decided to see how the series was going and I was shocked to see that he was still on the fuckin' boat, and it'd be another couple years before he'd actually get to the island. I never actually read past that hiatus, but I think I will now

The twats over as skullcuck.net kept excusing his delinquincies for years.

YEARS!

I mean...I love Berserk but their enabling bordered on univeraity tier.

Knowing what we know now, I'm glad he got to play games and did something besides working on the manga...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yep, it was a meme for awhile but I really got into and caught up with the series, and the releases dried up while I was in early high school and Guts was on the boat heading somewhere. I forget about Berserk and 5 years later I decided to see how the series was going and I was shocked to see that he was still on the fuckin' boat, and it'd be another couple years before he'd actually get to the island. I never actually read past that hiatus, but I think I will now

Knowing what we know now, I'm glad he got to play games and did something besides working on the manga...
He wasted a lot of time, too.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Imagine if he had put out a chapter every other week...or, even monthly.

I look at Hajime no Ippo (over 1300 chapters, still going strong) and try to imagine if Miura had put out that much story, where would we be? In HNI's case, a retired main character, who seems directionless, with all his friends/ rivals seemingly passing him by. I would like to believe, by that time, Berserk would be in a better place but, I guess we'll never know.

I get Taiso would like a conclusion but, I just don't think that's gonna happen. Just enjoy Berserk for what it was. Sorry, dude.

Jon

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Imagine if he had put out a chapter every other week...or, even monthly.

I look at Hajime no Ippo (over 1300 chapters, still going strong) and try to imagine if Miura had put out that much story, where would we be? In HNI's case, a retired main character, who seems directionless, with all his friends/ rivals seemingly passing him by. I would like to believe, by that time, Berserk would be in a better place but, I guess we'll never know.

I get Taiso would like a conclusion but, I just don't think that's gonna happen. Just enjoy Berserk for what it was. Sorry, dude.

Jon
That's weird advice.