The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I went to my outdoor concert tonight. The band I was there for played some oldies and I couldn't resist the pit. I probably have delta now. Gonna get tested on Wednesday or Thursday.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray does not mean you should avoid the ocean.
Well you should avoid the Ocean if antagonizing sea creatures is your thing.

On a related note, I got my first pfizer jab today. The whole process from parking my car to leaving took 30mins! All you hear on the news is lines this and hours that so I was pleasantly surprised.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
All the vaccine FUD and whataboutism is only making more people confused about what to do.

Telling people to get a vaccine with zero incentives is what creates FUD (had to look that up).

A total of 1,271 new COVID-19 hospitalizations (0.17 per 100,000 person-days) occurred among fully vaccinated adults, compared with 7,308 (2.03 per 100,000 person-days) among unvaccinated adults.

For infectious diseases, like Covid-19, there are three key terms to be aware of that influence discussions on vaccine efficacy. The first is exposure, which means coming into contact with the virus. This may occur when someone with Covid-19 coughs nearby, or when an individual touches a door handle or surface that is contaminated with the virus. Vaccines don’t prevent exposures, and it’s likely that many of us have been, or will be, exposed to SARS-CoV-2. The second term is infection, which occurs after an exposure and requires that the virus infects our cells and replicates. Some – but not all – vaccines can prevent infection, yet the current Covid-19 vaccines don’t appear to result in sterilizing immunity (i.e., the ability to prevent infection). In other words, even those who are vaccinated against Covid-19 may be infected with the virus. Importantly, not everyone who is infected with SARS-CoV-2 becomes ill. The third term is disease, which means that the viral infection results in clinical signs or symptoms (e.g., cough, fever, shortness of breath). The Covid-19 vaccines have been shown to be highly effective at preventing disease.

My emphasis added.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I am struggling with understanding what is going on.

Were people always this stupid?

Or is it that people were always this stupid but now grifters, charlatans, and evil-doers have a near perfect technique and platform to manipulate these stupid people?
Snake oil has existed since materials became goods.

Makes me wonder about the cultures that have been wiped out by being too trusting of devious entrepeneurship.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
If you are

YEs.....

If the medical system is stressed out and you need care, good luck.

I just had emergency surgery on Wednesday.
Here, I am going to agree with Norton in that rare occasion.

I had emergency gall bladder surgery literally days before the lockdown when this all started.

I sat in that emergency room for four hours, in the worst pain of my life, waiting to get some relief from the pain.

I can't even begin to imagine how that would have all gone down during the lockdown.

My idiot brother in law DID go into the hospital right before it happened and his pain was so bad that they sedated him. He woke up to a whole new world, kind of like Rick Grimes from TWD.

Except as a super Trumpster.

Conspiracy theories for weeks.

Supposedly a great American.

Managed to hoard an entire closet of toilet paper and Clorox wipes.

'In case my friends and family needed it.'

Which they didn't.

EDIT: All of this said, don't take that for a Blanket repudiation of anyone that voted red. I am politically homeless and will remain so, no matter how many times people scream 'they took our jerbs' or call me a racist for not getting involved. Not that these things have happened to me. Just that in today's world, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Telling people to get a vaccine with zero incentives is what creates FUD (had to look that up).

For infectious diseases, like Covid-19, there are three key terms to be aware of that influence discussions on vaccine efficacy. The first is exposure, which means coming into contact with the virus. This may occur when someone with Covid-19 coughs nearby, or when an individual touches a door handle or surface that is contaminated with the virus. Vaccines don’t prevent exposures, and it’s likely that many of us have been, or will be, exposed to SARS-CoV-2. The second term is infection, which occurs after an exposure and requires that the virus infects our cells and replicates. Some – but not all – vaccines can prevent infection, yet the current Covid-19 vaccines don’t appear to result in sterilizing immunity (i.e., the ability to prevent infection). In other words, even those who are vaccinated against Covid-19 may be infected with the virus. Importantly, not everyone who is infected with SARS-CoV-2 becomes ill. The third term is disease, which means that the viral infection results in clinical signs or symptoms (e.g., cough, fever, shortness of breath). The Covid-19 vaccines have been shown to be highly effective at preventing disease.

My emphasis added.

So basically, the CDC is saying that people need to keep careful, and not try hard to make it to Lollapalooza. I agree. The vaccine is part of the solution. People are reacting to the parts of the solution not being the sum, and disclaiming the parts, and essentially the sum, as fake. I credit this to the bloggers and posters who spin what they find on the CDC and other sites to sow doubt and fear.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I went to my outdoor concert tonight. The band I was there for played some oldies and I couldn't resist the pit. I probably have delta now. Gonna get tested on Wednesday or Thursday.
We saw RaTT and 98 degrees outdoors last weekend at the State Fair.
This wednsday plan to see Nelly and Blue Oyster Cult.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
First day of school tomorrow. Looks like kids will be eating in the cafeteria. Not sure how I feel about that..I would have thought eating in the classrooms would be less risky. On the other hand, maybe the cafeterias are so large it is easier to practice social distancing? I don’t know.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So basically, you take a local government funded operation, public schools, staff them with underachievers, and then fill the school with tiny vile creatures who may not even know how to wipe their butts yet, and we expect this to be a safe environment, with the sterility of a hermetically sealed research lab…

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Ugh...you're not making me feel any better...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
First day of school tomorrow. Looks like kids will be eating in the cafeteria. Not sure how I feel about that..I would have thought eating in the classrooms would be less risky. On the other hand, maybe the cafeterias are so large it is easier to practice social distancing? I don’t know.

If it's anything like my kid's school, they pretty much just threw in the towel and it's business as usual. Everyone has to stay masked except when eating, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be any real precautions taken this year. I'm sure this will end well!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The thing I expect the most out of my kids' school is that they will continue to limit the interactions between classes. That way, there can be proper containment and contact tracing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The thing I expect the most out of my kids' school is that they will continue to limit the interactions between classes. That way, there can be proper containment and contact tracing.
In elementary school I don't remember any kids playing with other classes outside their own. A classroom is already a large scale for kids to deal with.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
If it's anything like my kid's school, they pretty much just threw in the towel and it's business as usual. Everyone has to stay masked except when eating, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be any real precautions taken this year. I'm sure this will end well!

I'm sure it will too.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm sure it will too.

I always get my medical statistics from business websites that couldn't possibly have any ulterior motives!

Meanwhile, my state already has thousands of kids and school staff that have had to quarantine while only being open for 1-4 weeks.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
fucking hell

On a more positive note, the high infection/quarantine rates seem to mostly be limited to the few rural "mask optional" districts so far. I honestly wouldn't think that kids wearing masks or not would make a difference since they are filthy little bastards, but so far in my area I haven't seen the same kinds of numbers out of any district where masks are mandatory. It's too early to really tell though, my kid's district has only been back a week. Also, dumb shits that refuse to put masks on their kids have been pulling them out and homeschooling them, which probably reduces exposure to the kids most likely to spread the virus.