Defund the Police is dead. Don’t even entertain it

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Defund the police was never an official Democratic talking point. Here is the exact wording of Question 2 that people in Minneapolis will be voting on Tuesday, "replace" being the key word:

CITY QUESTION 2 (Minneapolis)

Department of Public Safety

Shall the Minneapolis City Charter be amended to remove the Police Department and replace it with a Department of Public Safety that employs a comprehensive public health approach to the delivery of functions by the Department of Public Safety, with those specific functions to be determined by the Mayor and City Council by ordinance; which will not be subject to exclusive mayoral power over its establishment, maintenance, and command; and which could include licensed peace officers (police officers), if necessary, to fulfill its responsibilities for public safety, with the general nature of the amendments being briefly indicated in the explanatory note below, which is made a part of this ballot? Explanatory Note: This amendment would create a Department of Public Safety combining public safety functions through a comprehensive public health approach to be determined by the Mayor and Council. The department would be led by a Commissioner nominated by the Mayor and appointed by the Council. The Police Department, and its chief, would be removed from the City Charter. The Public Safety Department could include police officers, but the minimum funding requirement would be eliminated.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I was genuinely shocked that people wept when Hilary lost. I still, to this day, think those people were and/or are delusional. Absolutely delusional.

They weren't delusional, they were prophetic.

The people that gave an obviously delusional narcistic sociopath the benefit of the doubt and failed to forsee the tragedy of 2017-2021 are the delusionals.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I think they were upset that a chauvinist pussy grabbing racist TV game show host had become president, what that implied about the voting public, and what the outcomes of his impulsive mind would be.

In situations like this, people who have been the victims of sexual assault and harassment are often retraumatized.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hillary lost because she ran a piss-poor campaign (essentially the prevent defense of electoral campaigns), had 25 years of media demonization working against her which drove out an otherwise unenthusiastic Republican vote and Trump ran a populist campaign that brought out a small population of otherwise apathetic voters who wanted to thumb their nose at the system. The "deplorables" stuff is a fun media narrative but the people who engage in social justice bullshit (in either direction) is a vocal minority.

Clinton did at one point have a good report with republicans. In 2006, she let her record speak for itself and she took 20% of the republican vote and 64% of the Independent vote. She rocked upstate after doing poorly in 2000. She was quite popular in the rural parts of the state. Particularly among farmers. In her presidential campaign, she failed to campaign and capitalize on that. Imagine if she ran an add in rural Wisconsin featuring the farmers in NY that she helped.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
As for the police...a necessary
They weren't delusional, they were prophetic.

The people that gave an obviously delusional narcistic sociopath the benefit of the doubt and failed to forsee the tragedy of 2017-2021 are the delusionals.

No, they weren't prophetic. That's just stupid. I believe you saw the writing on the wall. Did you weep when Hillary lost? No? That's because you're not a delusional human being.

I don't disagree with you on those supporting Donald Trump.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Clinton did at one point have a good report with republicans. In 2006, she let her record speak for itself and she took 20% of the republican vote and 64% of the Independent vote. She rocked upstate after doing poorly in 2000. She was quite popular in the rural parts of the state. Particularly among farmers. In her presidential campaign, she failed to campaign and capitalize on that. Imagine if she ran an add in rural Wisconsin featuring the farmers in NY that she helped.
The ad would not have be delivered properly, as her teamed eschewed any assistance from social media insiders.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Whatever you're all a buch of bootlickers.
Everyone understood last year what it was about even though it had a horrible name.
First half of this thread was pretty horrible.

There's a criminal justice & policing problem in this country.
If you don't see it you must be the one who lives in an ivory tower or an ostrich with it's head in the sand.

No one in this thread is a bootlicker. No one here is going to "Back the Blue" or fly the "Thin Blue Line" flag. That's absurd.

No one is saying American criminal justice needs comprehensive reform. I think the discussion centers on the inanity of attempting to to solve complex political problems in the social media era with hashtags like #defundthepolice.

You can't solve or even adequately debate a complex issue in 240 characters or less.
I don't think people were necessary upset that they "lost." I think they were upset that a chauvinist pussy grabbing racist TV game show host had become president, what that implied about the voting public, and what the outcomes of his impulsive mind would be.

I don't think they cried because Trump won. That's just the Trump presidency coloring our view of the past. I could be wrong. These same people who wept are the same people who said "I can't believe it" and "I don't know anyone who voted for Trump." To me it highlighted that they lived in their own secure, insulated world where they had no contact with the "other." Much like a dumbaas Trump voter.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
In situations like this, people who have been the victims of sexual assault and harassment are often retraumatized.
So are we trusting but verifying Tara Reade? Or is she a liar?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So are we trusting but verifying Tara Reade? Or is she a liar?

As if I didn't know this would come up.

Yes, it is one allegation. And the way that Joe Biden handled it was done to minimize retraumitzation among potential supporters.

Joe Biden:
1. DID NOT Attack his accuser.
2. DID NOT imply that she was not attractive enough to assault/harass.
3. DID NOT Threaten to sue his accuser.
4. DID NOT cast aspersions to her motivations.
5. DID NOT make himself to be the "real victim"
6. DID SAY THAT SHE HAD A RIGHT TO BE HEARD.

So yeah...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't think they cried because Trump won. That's just the Trump presidency coloring our view of the past. I could be wrong. These same people who wept are the same people who said "I can't believe it" and "I don't know anyone who voted for Trump." To me it highlighted that they lived in their own secure, insulated world where they had no contact with the "other." Much like a dumbaas Trump voter.

Yes, they couldn't believe that anyone could possibly vote for a racist hateful narcist grifter with a bevy of sexual assault accusations.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The ad would not have be delivered properly, as her teamed eschewed any assistance from social media insiders.

That goes without saying. But given a capable campaign team, it would have been possible.

As for social media, that add would have to go on TV during Matlock/Wheel of Fortune.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
As if I didn't know this would come up.

Yes, it is one allegation. And the way that Joe Biden handled it was done to minimize retraumitzation among potential supporters.

Joe Biden:
1. DID NOT Attack his accuser.
2. DID NOT imply that she was not attractive enough to assault/harass.
3. DID NOT Threaten to sue his accuser.
4. DID NOT cast aspersions to her motivations.
5. DID NOT make himself to be the "real victim"
6. DID SAY THAT SHE HAD A RIGHT TO BE HEARD.

So yeah...
So how did it turn out?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
No one is saying American criminal justice needs comprehensive reform.
Is this a typo?

That may be the case in CA. But here, the suburbs are pretty strongly conservative. You have to be very intention if you want to live in a bubble like that. People were upset because of a lost opportunity, the implications of Trump's success, and less importantly, the squandering of the possibility of the first female president.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is this a typo?

That may be the case in CA. But here, the suburbs are pretty strongly conservative. You have to be very intention if you want to live in a bubble like that. People were upset because of a lost opportunity, the implications of Trump's success, and less importantly, the squandering of the possibility of the first female president.
Yeah, definitely a typo - it should say "No one ISN'T saying American criminal justice needs comprehensive reform."

Good catch.

California is still pretty strongly "conservative" outside of the major population centers also.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’m not sure comprehensive reform is needed. Some places need it. Small homogenous localities probably do not.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
California is still pretty strongly "conservative" outside of the major population centers also.

Yep... There are enough crazy republicans in California that they totally screwed up the recall by making Larry Elder the front runner. .

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yep... There are enough crazy republicans in California that they totally screwed up the recall by making Larry Elder the front runner. .

I did not understand it either. You want to recall the Governor…and this is the alternative? FFS.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I hope The Fish is doing OK in real life. Seems like a guy who has high blood pressure.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It’s like he’s not really reading anyone else’s posts all the way. Just skimming and rage smashing his kid’s Gateway keyboard that they found in a yard sale.
He reminds me of myself when I was 18, and thought asking people if they watched CNN last night and what we should do was a gateway to get laid.