Anybody ever have foster kids?

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
I don't think I could ever suggest it for almost anyone else.
Especially these days, you never know what kind of messed up home and crazy crap is gong on.
All these fucked up parents are probably methhead zombie nazi's.
Maybe if they're an orphan?

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
A girl at work fostered a brother and sister. She adopted them and her husband divorced her. Not sure it had anything to do with the kids, she was kind of nasty in more ways than one.

Xavier

20 Year Member
My cousin adopted two Chinese kids
Been six years now or so, seems to have worked out pretty good.
I Imagine them being super good parents though.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It seems to be one of those things in life that is either really rewarding or a total disaster.

I've met a number of foster parents who love it and have looked after numerous kids and / or have adopted them.

I also know of a good friend who adopted a kid, gave him eveything, but had it thrown back in his face.

Personally while I feel some empathy for the children who find themselves in the situation they're in, I'd never ever give fostering any consideration whatsoever. I've got enough challenges in my life, I don't need someone elses.

BeefJerky

Yahweh's Sneakiest Little Jew
20 Year Member
Especially these days, you never know what kind of messed up home and crazy crap is gong on.

All I know is that you should not be allowed to supervise children.

Xavier

20 Year Member
All I know is that you should not be allowed to supervise children.
You're telling me!
They've tried to trick me into being a kindergarten teacher a few times now.
At that age if they all decide to make a break for it in different directions what do you do?

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I don’t think you understand how fostering even works.

It’s not adopting. It can lead to adoption but often fostering is temporary until the child can be placed with a family member.

And foster parents often work with placement or adoption/fostering organizations.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
A guy I worked with has constantly kept a houseful of foster kids, 3-4 at a time, and has done that for 20+ years. I'm pretty sure he and his wife still do even though both of them are retired. On more than one occasion I heard him mention that he was making a significant amount of income from it, maybe $1000 a head per month.

I definitely don't think that's a job that just anyone could do. Some of these kids come from pure nightmare scenarios, and you have no control or input over what the state does with 'em. You'd need to have a kind heart and genuinely care about kids... but seems like you'd need the ability to switch those emotions off once the kids leave your care. I couldn't imagine taking care of some abused kid for 6 months only to have the state yank 'em away and you never lay eyes on them again.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Storytime?
Long story short - he got involved partly for the money (he was fostering not adopting - my mistake) and partly because he and his partner thought it would be rewarding. They took a kid just going into his teens from a crisis background, who sadly was already on the path to ruin because of that. My friend gave him a good home, nice clothes, playstation etc, but he was just abusive toward them, started doing something with drugs... Yeah, all the kind of things that make you go "why the fuck would you want to put yourself through that?".
Anyway, we lost touch before I found out what ultimately happened.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
My sister and bro in law want to foster and eventually adopt. They have a 6 year old (biologically theirs) and want to give him a sibling that's his age or near it.

I mean if they can handle it and they don't get some little delinquent turd, more power to em. I wouldn't do it, personally but the wife and I have never wanted kids.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Ive known several adopted kids growing up and in the majority of cases, once they knew they were adopted, and they were teenagers, they turned into delinquents and the adoptive parents were at loose ends. As the kids turned into adults, there was no epiphany, in several cases the kids continued to be delinquents, abusing drugs, committing petty theft and stuff like that, not really having anything to do with their adoptive family. It basically seemed like it didn't work out like the fairy tail ideal in many cases, and these were kids who got adopted by these families as infants. Seeing that go down in several instances has put me off from ever adopting kids.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
My sister and bro in law want to foster and eventually adopt. They have a 6 year old (biologically theirs) and want to give him a sibling that's his age or near it.

I mean if they can handle it and they don't get some little delinquent turd, more power to em. I wouldn't do it, personally but the wife and I have never wanted kids.
don't encourage him

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
im aware of some not great parents that foster for the money. Their parenting has been pretty poor, and the kids were already fuck ups.

Xavier

20 Year Member
Objectively false.
Sounds like somebody just took critical thinking in college and is trying to show off.
What does that even mean in a conversation? Can be proven untrue?
OK prove it then.

Why are you going to college now anyways?
You're a fuck up degenerate and will always be one.
Unless you work for relative and they promised to make you assistant to the assistant if you finish school you've found your lot in life by now.

Reminds me of the scene in Magnolias, you're 33 years old Donnie you don't need braces.

You TuFuRu, Sylvie and Basic should make a band called the Goobspergers

BeefJerky

Yahweh's Sneakiest Little Jew
20 Year Member
Sounds like somebody just took critical thinking in college and is trying to show off.
What does that even mean in a conversation? Can be proven untrue?
OK prove it then.

Why are you going to college now anyways?
You're a fuck up degenerate and will always be one.
Unless you work for relative and they promised to make you assistant to the assistant if you finish school you've found your lot in life by now.

Reminds me of the scene in Magnolias, you're 33 years old Donnie you don't need braces.

You TuFuRu, Sylvie and Basic should make a band called the Goobspergers

umadbro?

EDIT: Speaking of degeneracy I seem to remember a certain someone that bragged about causing a scene and getting the cops called on him at KFC. lmbo

Last edited:

Xavier

20 Year Member
I don’t think you understand how fostering even works.

It’s not adopting. It can lead to adoption but often fostering is temporary until the child can be placed with a family member.

And foster parents often work with placement or adoption/fostering organizations.
Oh thanks Captain Obvious.
Have no idea why you think I don't understand how fostering works.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Crazy respect for anyone who can do it and keep their sanity/a positive attitude towards life but it seems like a recipe for abject misery for all parties involved.