New Star Wars stuff announced

claybay1

n00b
isnt it just nostalgia building for old shows that give them more credibility? especially as characters become reintergrated into live action.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I don’t think anyone here on this site is under any illusions about what Star Wars always was and what it has become.

I was genuinely surprised by how low it sank though with the sequels and the absolutely inane decisions that were made.

As someone said above: all the live action shows are trash except Mando.

I actually genuinely like Mando. I wish it was just a little darker and a little grittier, but it’s a fun show. We’ll see how long it can go on now that hopefully returning Grogu to his people is no longer the driving storyline.

Yeah wasn't really referring to anyone here. People here generally have a level-head about it minus fami but that's to be expected. Just speaking more generally. I guess it's just weird dealing with people in my friend circle who are in to Star Wars going through the grief rollercoaster every time a new SW thing gets announced. I generally try to not be a dick about it but at some point, "What the fuck did you expect? Why can't you just accept that Star Wars is shit and has been for 25+ years and move on with your life?" scrolls through my brain palace like an LED sign over and over. Watch the original trilogy occasionally or read some of the old extended universe books if you have to but the people who make Star Wars don't give a fuck about you and seemingly make things specifically to spit in your eye.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
lol grief rollercoaster is a perfect way to describe it. Lucas made something magical way back when and it’s been hard to recapture it.

Speaking of the old extended universe…are people still writing novels in the old EU?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If memory serves, Disney won't allow it. They de-canonized the entire EU and all of the books written now are from like 3 people and they started from scratch (while liberally borrowing from the old EU where convenient). Like I'm pretty sure Admiral Thrawn was back within like two stories. I could be wrong though... all of my Star Wars knowledge is second and third-hand.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Rebels is what brought Thrawn into the new continuity.

Technically everything they release now is "canon" but they've proven on a few occasions that they're willing to ignore stuff from the books, games, and comics if it suits the movies and TV shows.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is Timothy Zahn getting any royalties for the use of Thrawn?

Like I know Disney probably owns every EU character, story, whatever…but it just feels a bit dishonest that they can essentially mine the work of others for their own profit.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
some weird, glaring CGI shots that looked cheap including one shot where I'm pretty sure two foreground stormtroopers were added in, which was super bizarre

Just rewatched to find this in case anyone wanted to check it out. It is right at the 27:00 mark and unless there is something super weird about the lighting, those are CGI stormtroopers. Why? They seem to have plenty of extras in actual armor moving around, but they forgot to put two there I guess and they felt so strongly that they needed to extend that scene another 3 seconds after First Brother's line so that two CGI troopers can mosey across the screen?

Just why.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Summary of the show so far:
Leia gets captured
Kenobi saves her
Leia gets captured
Kenobi saves her
Leia gets captured
Kenobi saves her

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Summary of the show so far:
Leia gets captured
Kenobi saves her
Leia gets captured
Kenobi saves her
Leia gets captured
Kenobi saves her

Haha. LOLOLOL. So true.

Also is the inquisitor base we see the same one in Jedi Fallen Order?

If so you’re telling me people have infiltrated that place twice?!? lulz. Seems like we really mess it up though in fallen order.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yes, it's the same base. You'd think they'd beef up security a bit, but no.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is Fallen Order before or after Kenobi? I even checked that chart you posted but it only has shows, no games.

As an aside are games like The Force Unleashed and Knights of the Old Republic or The Old Republic canon?

I assume Dark Forces etc are not.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The only stuff released before April 25, 2014 that remains canon are the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and Clone Wars.

Most stuff released after that date is canon but there are exceptions.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Interesting that Knights of the Old Republic is not canon. Ah well, didn't have much bearing on any of the story, anyway

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Is Fallen Order before or after Kenobi? I even checked that chart you posted but it only has shows, no games.

As an aside are games like The Force Unleashed and Knights of the Old Republic or The Old Republic canon?

I assume Dark Forces etc are not.

Fallen Order takes place roughly at the same time.

Most if not all games are not canon, including Dark Forces - although like the expanded universe stuff, there are elements that have made it through and brought into main canon like Thrawn, Dark Troopers (from Dark Forces) and evidently Revan is going to be coming into play sometime. At least as part of the history, what with the High Republic centric show and all that.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Interesting that Knights of the Old Republic is not canon. Ah well, didn't have much bearing on any of the story, anyway
Since it's still actively out there, with a remake coming up, I'd say it still counts as canon. At the very least, it's not considered "legacy".

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Everything after the prequels is basically a fanfic at this point.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Dont think its as bad as book of boba fett but yeah last episode was lacking.

Going to have to beat fallen order now. Im like halfway through the game. I get lost and stuck with the level design alot why it sits on the backburner.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Dont think its as bad as book of boba fett but yeah last episode was lacking.

Going to have to beat fallen order now. Im like halfway through the game. I get lost and stuck with the level design alot why it sits on the backburner.
The problem with that game (and it was GLARING) is that there's no fast travel, or "Firelink Shrine" type thing. There was one level where you are in a bunch of tunnels underground (same level where you have to fight the AT-ST boss). It was confusing because the map is kinda shitty and you literally had to run the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE way back, or if you got lost/went the wrong way after running for 10 minutes - to get back to your ship - you gotta run back for another 10 minutes. I liked the game but that right there is what has stopped me from going through it again.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The game is decent, I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10 - but it's far from perfect. I didn't really care for the weird Dark Souls vibe (the unlocking shortcuts and backtracking just didn't feel "Star Wars" to me - and the combat wasn't as good IMO as say a Dark Souls. Could be I just sucked at the game also. I found some of the bosses legit challenging.

That we don't have a game where you play as a bounty hunter is absolutely tragic (Shadows of the Empire doesn't count!) - I'm thinking a game along the lines of Uncharted but Star Wars might be cool.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My main point really was: Please give us a Star Wars action adventure game where you DO NOT play as a Jedi. F O R F U C K S S A K E.

Isn't Mando proof that there is an appetite for non-Jedi stuff? Like guns and shit.

Dude, give us a Bad Batch video game with 4-player campaign co-op. Remember that old Clone trooper game on OG Xbox where you played in a squad of Clone Troopers? I really liked that game.

Reactions: SML

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
My main point really was: Please give us a Star Wars action adventure game where you DO NOT play as a Jedi. F O R F U C K S S A K E.

Isn't Mando proof that there is an appetite for non-Jedi stuff? Like guns and shit.

Dude, give us a Bad Batch video game with 4-player campaign co-op. Remember that old Clone trooper game on OG Xbox where you played in a squad of Clone Troopers? I really liked that game.
Republic Commando. That was a great game. I have that too.. and havent beaten it either.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Glad to see Fallen Order's sequel is real. I didn't mind the levels so much. The universe of the game overall felt a little small. The atmosphere and tone of the intro sequence were probably the best part, with the possible exception of the last training flashback.

There are other stories to tell in this setting, and the story about Jedi was the first one that got told, and didn't really need to be elaborated on in the ways it has been.

I'm not sure how easy it is to market the stories to kids if they aren't about Jedi, though. I know that the me that fell for the original trilogy was very much into the idea of meditating and kicking ass.

Speaking of Jedi and Sith and their role in the universe, the Galactic Empire is really pretty fucking weird, isn't it? The Emperor is also (apparently) the foremost practitioner of a dark cult. Establishing the dominance of the cult was nominally his goal in coming to power. Yet most subjects of the Empire don't seem to have even heard of the Force, and I'm not just talking about backwaters like Tatooine. I'm talking about high ranking imperial officer bitches Darth Vader has to choke.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Well this episode was much better at least.

Still pretty dumb at points, though:
-Where the fuck did that second transport come from? We don't see it all while Vader is crushing the first one, the it just zooms off
-Why doesn't Third Sister attack Vader while he's actually busy instead of just walking up behind him, yelling, while he's standing there?
-What about the Star Destroyer? Vader, Third Sister, and the Grand Inquisitor took two drop ships to the surface but the Destroyer they came it was still in orbit. Apparently the transport just flew right past it?
-We really sent the ten year old princess in to do fuckin' mechanical repairs? They don't have anyone at this base who is physically capable of, you know, working on the equipment? A small alien? A short guy? A droid? Nope. Send the ten year old girl who just got here in!
-Why the fuck would Vader leave Third Sister alive? He's becoming an 80s action figure commercial cartoon villain at this point.

At least we got to see Vader style on Third Sister. "I don't even need to draw my lightsaber to whoop your ass."