Unico Jamma Candy Cabs

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I probably missed this, but it's mentioned you could drop in a console like a dreamcast. How would the control panel hook up to an older system like that? Would the user need to source their own dreamcast/jamma converter?

There's one coin slot. How does a coin get attributed to player 2 rather than player 1?
The monitor has hdmi and vga inputs - controls would require additional adapters like something from Brook.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I have no experience with candy cabs other than looking at pictures online. What's the convention in Japanese arcades for accommodating older games that want a dedicated separate p2 input for p2 coin?
I think it’s based on honor system if you start a game on some else’s coins - you get the shank. Japanese cabinets had a single coin slot in the control panel.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Lynx, all the time you lived in Japan, you never went to a game center?

Both sides are wired up to the coin mech, that’s all.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Lynx, all the time you lived in Japan, you never went to a game center?

Both sides are wired up to the coin mech, that’s all.
So one coin will effectively give you two credits? That doesn't sound right from an operator perspective.

I found an old thread here on this topic. Was very interesting to read the responses both from an information standpoint and a lack of trolling standpoint. https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-do-i-play-2-players-on-a-candy-cab.102234/

Ajax

15 Year Member
No, one coin == one credit typically and you can join on either 1P or 2P side.

You can adjust the number of coins required for 1 credit and the number of credits a coin gives the player in the test menu for most games. But why are we even talking about this in this level of detail? 🤔

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
The coin treatment options sound like something that is going to vary between different pcbs, with some American stuff probably not having an option in the test menu to set to one coin mech = a credit for either p1 or p2... but I guess anything Japanese-region for the last 35 years will probably have that option if its been an industry standard in Japan.

We are talking about this because the coin side of the experience is very important to me.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
An industry standard in Japan? You have it bass ackwards, lynx.

Japanese
Amusement
Machine
Manufacturers
Association

JAMMA is a Japanese developed standard adopted by the rest of the world.

2 players? Take the number of coins needed to give (1) credit…and double it.

1p hits player 1 start.
2p hits player 2 start.

What part of this is so difficult to grasp?

Pre/Non-JAMMA games can be a different kettle of fish, so you either wire up a separate loom that can be swapped out in tandem, or run a dedicated non-JAMMA cab.

It’s not on uniqlo to have looms pre-installed for non JAMMA games.

Do you have a stack of Sega SuperModel games, a karate champ (or some such), or just being willfully obtuse?

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
This isn't about jamma, its about using a common chute for selecting either p1 or p2, the support for that is going to be on the pcb-side of things, maybe tucked away as an option in a service menu or dipswitch setting for stuff released in the US where the convention is to install it in a dynamo or a big red with 2 coin slots. I just looked at service menus and dip switches in mame for a couple games. As you might expect, Japanese stuff, capcom, snk, etc., has the option, but I didn't see the option in Western stuff like Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, Primal Rage, etc.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
This isn't about jamma, its about using a common chute for selecting either p1 or p2, the support for that is going to be on the pcb-side of things, maybe tucked away as an option in a service menu or dipswitch setting for stuff released in the US where the convention is to install it in a dynamo or a big red with 2 coin slots. I just looked at service menus and dip switches in mame for a couple games. As you might expect, Japanese stuff, capcom, snk, etc., has the option, but I didn't see the option in Western stuff like Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, Primal Rage, etc.
... Do you actually own any PCBs?

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
I suppose you have to consider the money you’re saving by not having a rare giant CRT to maintain. And presumably a warranty.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
I suppose you have to consider the money you’re saving by not having a rare giant CRT to maintain. And presumably a warranty.
No cigarette film to clean too

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Still have no idea who these are for. People who don't give a shit about a "real" experience can just spend half as much building cardboard box forts with their A1ups (not to mention most people outside of Japan don't have nostalgia for the look and dimensions of a candy) and actual arcade enthusiasts own actual cabs (and aren't interested in 4:3 LCD screens). Even if this thing does everything it's supposed to do and isn't a hunk of shit, it seems like a bankruptcy waiting to happen.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you're playing on an LCD, using a PC, Mister or console and putting it in some weird generic candy cab shell all you're doing is kidding yourself. I mean even a Viewlix is basically just a TV and arcade stick on a fancy stand.

A shitty pretend cab isn't going to make you play better or make the games look better and deep down you know you won't be fully happy because it's not a real candy cab.

Just play on a TV or monitor with a nice arcade stick and stop being a dork.

Ajax

15 Year Member
This line of thinking is what moved me to unload all of my arcade stuff.

When LCD refresh rates have reached the point that they’re faster than CRTs and modern arcade hardware is literally Windows PCs, what’s the point of anything other than a nice LCD and a PC?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
This line of thinking is what moved me to unload all of my arcade stuff.

When LCD refresh rates have reached the point that they’re faster than CRTs and modern arcade hardware is literally Windows PCs, what’s the point of anything other than a nice LCD and a PC?
Exactly. I pretty much stopped playing my Blast Cities once I got a nice rotatable monitor, PC and nice arcade stick. Every time I turned on the Blasts and had to change games, reset the monitor or troubleshoot something it only reinforced that.

Sold the Blasts and last of my games a couple months ago and haven't thought about any of that shit since.