Unico Jamma Candy Cabs

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Where did we see that they messed up the display?

Also note that the old thicc boi Taito stools are no more. Taito is now selling the Mitono JOIFA449s as their own. These are the same ones Arcade Shock sold a couple years ago, but these new joints have a bit more cusion for your gooby ass.

I don’t have the link, but yodd and others have written it up and put it through its paces. Turns out the panel has the whatever the flat panel equivalent for crt chassis is, from a mis-matched tv.

Totally gimps the pixel count.

I’ll look for the link in a bit.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
My shooting crew and I just imported a bunch of stools last month. It's true that they're right around $100 in Japan, but they're a nightmare to ship, that's why they're so expensive and why a lot of arcade importers just don't bother with them altogether.

The ones we got were $151 a piece, and I imagine that's about the going rate. If these are decent quality, this isn't a bad price.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
My shooting crew and I just imported a bunch of stools last month. It's true that they're right around $100 in Japan, but they're a nightmare to ship, that's why they're so expensive and why a lot of arcade importers just don't bother with them altogether.

The ones we got were $151 a piece, and I imagine that's about the going rate. If these are decent quality, this isn't a bad

Probably have no Japanese farts and cigarette smell baked in

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

The ones we got were $151 a piece, and I imagine that's about the going rate. If these are decent quality, this isn't a bad price.
You're not a bad price

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don’t have the link, but yodd and others have written it up and put it through its paces. Turns out the panel has the whatever the flat panel equivalent for crt chassis is, from a mis-matched tv.

Totally gimps the pixel count.

I’ll look for the link in a bit.

If this is what Im thinking about, a buddy of mine was the one that sort of shoved the issue into the light. He goes by MidGeekCrisis on Twitter/FB/Youtube. Something about the resolution not being what it was touted to be.

Granted, I can agree that claiming X and delivering Y is not cool, especially if being shady about it - BUT - the point of this thing is a 4x3 CRT replacement, so why would I want to run something like a CPS2 game at 4x or whatever? For older 2D/CRT based arcade games, I dont care about 1440p, or integer scaling, etc etc.

Again, I get the issue that its not 1080p as it was advertised, yes. But does it really matter when I'm running games designed to run in 240p?

The answer is no.

terry.330

Black Tank Top Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Jesus that base is fugly. I was joking about the photocopier stand but it looks like I wasn't far off.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I've got some real bad news, all - the bases of all candy cabinets look just like that. Only difference is they're not detachable. Pics incoming

terry.330

20 Year Member
I've got some real bad news, all - the bases of all candy cabinets look just like that. Only difference is they're not detachable. Pics incoming
Nah, they're at least more contoured and don't sit 4" off the ground with ugly ass risers showing. They also don't have big ass hinges sticking off of one side. Those handles are ugly too, should have just had recessed grips stamped into the side panels.

I know it's nitpicky but a little contouring and discretion goes a long way in making things appealing to the eye. That thing looks like an industrial utility box.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Have you seen a Noir? Or an MVSU4? Or an SQ? They're all totally square, my guy.

But I do concede that this looks like a bad Star Wars robot.

terry.330

20 Year Member
Yeah and while they're all ugly compared to Astros, Blasts and Egrets they still look better than that. I'm saying there are great looking cabs but these guys didn't bother to apply any of those design elements. Instead they went backwards and made this thing as generic and industrial as possible.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Yeah, that's fair. The cab looks very generic. There's not much at all to say there.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah and while they're all ugly compared to Astros, Blasts and Egrets they still look better than that. I'm saying there are great looking cabs but these guys didn't bother to apply any of those design elements. Instead they went backwards and made this thing as generic and industrial as possible.

AND - are charging a premium price :D

sirlynxalot

Belnar Institute Student
Fagit of the Year
Imagine if tickets started spewing out of those side vents/clips :love:

1702927746854.jpeg

A lot is being said about how this is a premium price, and it certainly isn't cheap... but in 2023 where are you going to find a blast city/astro city/egret, etc. for similar bucks? Especially one in excellent condition?

Seems to me this is the same market as the chewlix except it has a 90s look instead of a 2000s look.

city41

Art of Typing Wiz
10 Year Member
but in 2023 where are you going to find a blast city/astro city/egret, etc. for similar bucks? Especially one in excellent condition?

Seems to me this is the same market as the chewlix except it has a 90s look instead of a 2000s look.
I don't think it competes against CRT cabs. They are different markets too, a CRT cab is much more of a commitment.

At its price I'd rather just get a vewlix, noir, etc. But those cabs will eventually dry up and go up in price.

terry.330

20 Year Member
If these things were meant to be on location and made in huge quantities I wouldn't have any problem with them looking so basic and industrial but these are specifically for home use.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Why are the stools so expensive? That's more than real ones
Please prove it.

Not being a prick here - see below, I looked for the full shipped to me prices and couldn’t find anything. If you find some examples I can persuade the big boss.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
IMG_7813.png

Attachments

• IMG_7812.png
    IMG_7812.png
    590.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7814.jpeg
    IMG_7814.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 5

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Who is this ... Big boss and why does he lack a total sense of aesthetics

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
If this is what Im thinking about, a buddy of mine was the one that sort of shoved the issue into the light. He goes by MidGeekCrisis on Twitter/FB/Youtube. Something about the resolution not being what it was touted to be.

Granted, I can agree that claiming X and delivering Y is not cool, especially if being shady about it - BUT - the point of this thing is a 4x3 CRT replacement, so why would I want to run something like a CPS2 game at 4x or whatever? For older 2D/CRT based arcade games, I dont care about 1440p, or integer scaling, etc etc.

Again, I get the issue that its not 1080p as it was advertised, yes. But does it really matter when I'm running games designed to run in 240p?

The answer is no.
1080p isn’t the only issue.

yodd’s vid/report described at length the issue with this doing 240p correctly.

It doesn’t.

Ajax

15 Year Member
That does not appear to be Yodd...

This is the content of the issue though:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I borked my links. Brb

Edit-can’t find it…retro frog YouTube only has two videos, Twitter isn’t giving me a hit.
Blargh.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I'm kinda wanting one.
Perhaps I missed it but $$$?