Unico Jamma Candy Cabs

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
I disagree. Sitting at a candy cab is ideal for shooters and really any game that requires focus. I play very noticably better on my vewlix than my PC or couch.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I keep my cabs for meets and my kids at this point.

When I go full hermit/empty nest mode, it’s gonna be a supergun and TypeX3 multi…if anything.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I should qualify - I’ve got a few HD cabs which I replaced the monitors with modern monitors in. I also think playing at a cabinet is ideal for a couple reasons: 1. Control height, and 2. Stability - if you’re grinding out a clear on a shooting game, it’s imperative that your stick isn’t moving all over the damn place. This is non-negotiable, and I consider the number of clears I’ve bagged on my cabs proof of these things. If you can account for the proper height and stability though, a nice standalone stick with a PC and fast monitor is fine.

I still have a lot of nostalgia for and fond memories of the old CRT candy cabs, I just lost the desire to own any of that stuff anymore.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'd pick up a vewlix or two if I could be arsed. Maybe one day, but there won't be any flaky ass PCBs around

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
I still have a lot of nostalgia for and fond memories of the old CRT candy cabs, I just lost the desire to own any of that stuff anymore
Yup, I no longer own any crts or even old hardware except my neo geo. Such a pain. The modern replacements aren't perfect, but they're good enough.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Imagine buying like 12 of these and making your own 90s Japan style game center.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I keep my cabs for meets and my kids at this point.

When I go full hermit/empty nest mode, it’s gonna be a supergun and TypeX3 multi…if anything.
I noticed and this happened at Whitecastle’s recently everyone (cept @gusmoney) plays on the pvms and hardly on the cabs when given the options not to say that your cab collection is one of the best

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
CRTs are not that difficult to deal with if you take care of them and are able to have them serviced locally. I've never had one that was unrepairable. Finding parts can be an issue though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Obviously you're going to be more focused sitting at a cab than playing on the couch or at an uncomfortable desk but it's pretty easy to get the exact same setup without spending much money. Just get a nice desk/monitor/stick setup and adjust everything to your liking. It might not look as cool, be as "authentic" or unique but the idea that you can only play well on a cab is ridiculous. Hell it'll probably be more comfortable than sitting at a candy cab, those things weren't exactly made with westerners in mind.

Viewlix and the like aren't really even candy cabs, they're just fancy metal desks that hold those exact same things but don't even provide the ergonomic versatility of an actual desk.

If Taito or Sega sold a literal desk and called it a "personal game center platform" or something with their logo and some engrish all over it people wouldn't think twice about using it.

Anyways I wouldn't have any problem with these Unico things if the price is reasonable and the monitors don't suck. Though I'm willing to bet they'll be a grand just for the main unit and another $500 for the photocopier stand to go under it. The funny thing is if you do just get the top section you're still going to need a desk or table to set it on and you're right back to what you were trying to avoid lol.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
If Taito or Sega sold a literal desk and called it a "personal game center platform" or something with their logo and some engrish all over it people wouldn't think twice about using it.
We’ll see if that’s the case if/when Qanba releases their desk with built in arcade panel.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
$1k! Hah get out of here. I betcha it flops and implodes into a singularity of hypergoobflation and goobrarity.

I bought a vewlix because I wanted something future proof but also basically brand new. No more tinkering, no more maintenance. This fake ass thing from unico makes no sense, partner with 1up arcade don't go and half ass a proper candy.

@sirlynxalot man what the hell is wrong with you, what are we gonna debate next? The fact candies have 2 castor wheels instead of a more convenient 4? You nut.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Lynx has no experience with actual arcade hardware and it shows, but wants all the trimmings.
Typical

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
All honesty, I was in if the price was like $700 for the *entire* cab. But $1200 for that is just not the pricepoint I was looking for.

Good to see they are following the trend of overpriced candy chairs, even if you get two for the price of one real taito stool. Eh, I'm good with my Chewlix and Neo25.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
That price, w/ the buggered 4:3…lol. I was hoping for the best; but this is the worst. Folks can keep de-casing TVs for 4:3 I suppose, but every tube will be burnt to shit eventually.

Was really hoping they got the panel correct.

Or the price.

But neither of the above? Que sad trombone.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Where did we see that they messed up the display?

Also note that the old thicc boi Taito stools are no more. Taito is now selling the Mitono JOIFA449s as their own. These are the same ones Arcade Shock sold a couple years ago, but these new joints have a bit more cushion for your gooby ass.