Alien: Romulus 08/16/24

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I want this movie to be good but I have a bigger problem with the idea of yet another Alien film.

What used to be the most terrifying monster design in cinema history has turned into a victim of its own success.

Alien movies don't ever end with the creature winning. You know that one at a time, the cast will get picked off by the supposedly 'perfect organism' only to get tricked and then get killed.

Aliens was the perfect denouement to this series. A woman returning to something resembling hell to take back what the creature stole from her in the first film-her entire life. In a lot of ways, the alien in the first film 'killed' Ripley and she had to go and reclaim all of that, as embodied by Newt.

Ripley literally punching the queen mother of all aliens in the face with a forklift was the absolute highpoint for this narrative and this monster. There is nowhere else for this franchise to go unless they want to take a chance and have the monster win.

The whole idea of

Spoiler:
the alien in Romulus being derived from whatever was left over of the very first monster

is so bad and misguided on every conceivable level that it smacks of self aggrandizement.

'Look at me doing my art!'

That said, I'm a dope and will probably still see it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think best case scenario, this movie is a copy of Alien, but on a planet surface.
If that's the aim, I think it'll be alright. The Alien universe needs to get back on board with slow dread and not a giant action movie with a bunch of alien fodder.