1988 Memoreis: Anyone else get Double Dragon free with their Master System?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
At the time, I was the only one of my friends who owned an NES(they all had Atari or Colecovision). When the Master System was released I didn't really care at first. One of my friends ended up getting the Master System soon after launch. When I went over to check it out, I was like "woah these graphics are cool!" & was jealous. My parents ended up getting me the Master System that christmas however. It was before the Double Dragon deal so I didn't qualify for that.

P.S. Double Dragon on the Master System was way better then the NES version.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
master system was my first ever console. although i like it now, to this day i regret picking the master system over the nes. just watching that add sends chills down my spine.

Well the good news about your choice is you won't be tempted to pay ridiculous sums for utterly shite games.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Haha yes! I mailed in the UPC barcode of my SMS to get a free copy of Double Dragon. :buttrock:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Haha yes! I mailed in the UPC barcode of my SMS to get a free copy of Double Dragon. :buttrock:

FINALLY! I thought I was the only one. My parents did it for me. It took so long to come that I forgot all about it. I was having a crap day at school, I came home and the package was there waiting for us. My mom was like, "There might be something for you in that package."

double-dragon-sms-cover-full-1405.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I grew up (mostly) in a small town...and in that town the NES was king. I literally knew 2 kids that owned a SMS, one lived there for a year, the other I was barely friends with. I did play DD on his SMS once (literally, once). I wouldn't land up getting a SMS until the late 90's. To this day, SMS DD is the primary reason why I've held on to the system.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I knew that sooner or later this thread would end on a NES Vs SMS debate...

I could go on and on and on on the great Master System games that would warrant a purchase back in the day.
Yes, it lacked 3rd party support compared to the NES. But SEGA alone made a good job on the 1st party titles.

A lot of 'em were Arcade butchered 8bit ports, but as a kid you couldn't really tell...

Double Dragon, Shinobi, Rampage, Gauntlet, Space Harrier, Bubble Bobble, Wonderboy, GnG, After Burner, Fantasy Zone, Ninja Gaiden, Prince of Persia, Y's, California Games are all better games on the Master System.

Then you have also a lot of Non-NES like Psycho Fox, Phantasy Star, R-Type, Power Strike, Golvellius, Spellcaster, Kenseiden, Alex Kidd, Donald Duck series, Mickey Mouse series and so on.

Yes, there's no Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda or Life Force on it. But it has it's own strengths.
I really wished the western SMS came with a proper FM chip on it. The NES soundchip really RAPES the PSG of the Master System with ease. When FM is involved, a different bird sings then ;)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I knew that sooner or later this thread would end on a NES Vs SMS debate...

I could go on and on and on on the great Master System games that would warrant a purchase back in the day.
Yes, it lacked 3rd party support compared to the NES. But SEGA alone made a good job on the 1st party titles.

A lot of 'em were Arcade butchered 8bit ports, but as a kid you couldn't really tell...

Double Dragon, Shinobi, Rampage, Gauntlet, Space Harrier, Bubble Bobble, Wonderboy, GnG, After Burner, Fantasy Zone, Ninja Gaiden, Prince of Persia, Y's, California Games are all better games on the Master System.

Then you have also a lot of Non-NES like Psycho Fox, Phantasy Star, R-Type, Power Strike, Golvellius, Spellcaster, Kenseiden, Alex Kidd, Donald Duck series, Mickey Mouse series and so on.

Yes, there's no Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda or Life Force on it. But it has it's own strengths.
I really wished the western SMS came with a proper FM chip on it. The NES soundchip really RAPES the PSG of the Master System with ease. When FM is involved, a different bird sings then ;)

I've always felt the "SMS-vs-NES" debate was pretty much apples and oranges. In the end, the SMS was a better system than the NES (hardware wise), it just didn't see the titles the NES had. In the end, I don't really think it was ever a contest in the US given the insane library the NES had...but that never invalidated the SMS being a quality system.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I've always felt the "SMS-vs-NES" debate was pretty much apples and oranges. In the end, the SMS was a better system than the NES (hardware wise), it just didn't see the titles the NES had. In the end, I don't really think it was ever a contest in the US given the insane library the NES had...but that never invalidated the SMS being a quality system.

In Europe and S.America it was a different story tho.
If N.America had the same library Europe and Brazil had, the NES would certainly remain the undisputed 8-Bit king, but not with the same sales figures.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Super mega lol.

Double Dragon for the NES is better than the SMS. Better hit detection, better controls, the hits "feel" better and the stage layout is better. The BGM is miles better, I mean thousands of miles better. That's into saying the SMS DD is bad, no, it's cool but not better than the NES.

SMS Ninja Gaiden, now that's where is at, not better than the NES but it's a very cool and very different game, unlike the PCE which is a copy of the NES with "better" graphics...lol.

More colors doesn't necessarily mean better.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'd agree on DD. The NES version is "Better" even though it is a glitchfest. Sure it diddn't have two player co-op. But it was a solid game. Got better once I realized that you could "Level up" by striking william twice, move strike, move strike, etc until the timer is about to run out, then go through the door.

And we used to spend hours playing the Fighting game bonus. Abobo slap-athons.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
FINALLY! I thought I was the only one. My parents did it for me. It took so long to come that I forgot all about it. I was having a crap day at school, I came home and the package was there waiting for us. My mom was like, "There might be something for you in that package."

Yeah I got my SMS when the price dropped, then a bit later those commercials started airing about the free DD. I cut it out and asked my parents to mail it. It did take forever and I forgot about it too.

That's an awesome story. I can totally appreciate that and this offer... especially since games were pretty tough to come by in those days :)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think the SMS is the second best port of the game , with the first being the GBA remake. Hell, the GBA version is better than the damn arcade.
It's really a shame how the series has been treated, even the name kicks ass.

The GBA version wasn't a remake but a new game. It's not a port at all. But ... It is by far (by a longshot too) my favorite Double Dragon game.

Also, I've 1 cc'd the gba version, sms version, nes version and the arcade. The hardest part of all this is the moving blocks shit in the last level. Always pisses me off.

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
sms double dragon> nes double dragon.

Absolutely ! I had the Nes one as a kid and longed for the SMS version, finally got it in 95.

That said the games I did get free as a kid were Dragon Warrior with Nintendo Power re-subscription and I picked 6 titles on a TG16 postcard to get one of them free and got my 6th choice Baseball

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Absolutely ! I had the Nes one as a kid and longed for the SMS version, finally got it in 95.

That said the games I did get free as a kid were Dragon Warrior with Nintendo Power re-subscription and I picked 6 titles on a TG16 postcard to get one of them free and got my 6th choice Baseball

Can't we like both for different reasons?

I like the new take on the series in the NES version (platform beat'em up), but I admit some of it was awkward. It's still a classic in my eyes, and probably one of my most played games of all time, but I'd prefer it without the platforming elements.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
back in '88 my friend and I found an issue of Hustler, which we hid in a parking garage. We would occasionally sneak out in the middle of the night and head to the garage to view it. But after a while we got bored (we were 11) and gave it to an older kid.