Accelerated Beginner Workout

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
I know some people here can help with this, I'm choosing to post it here rather than some fitness board for various reasons. Searching for preexisting answers has already proved less than useful.

I'm basically a clean slate. I have almost no body fat, evidently a ridiculously fast metabolism, and am relatively fit. I want to build muscle, as quickly and efficiently as possible. I have absolutely no interest in losing weight, in fact I've been consciously trying to gain it by eating and people are telling me I look skinnier. I'm sick of it.

My objective is to thoroughly and as quickly as possible build muscle mass, upper and lower, I don't feel I need to over complicate the issue. I don't want any convoluted routines and I'd like to do as few exercises as possible while remaining versatile within reason. If I'm out of line here let me know.

I took a martial arts class (sig) and loved it. It was only an introductory class, and I have yet to make the initial payment, but I fully plan to take it indefinitely. I'm skeptical however that it will build thoroughly. I suppose something that would compliment this would be good, but no big deal.

I want exercises that will make me feel sore as shit the next day...one question I have here is if I still feel sore 48 hours after a workout, should I try to do another regardless? I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about, help me.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Should you work out if the body is sore? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Your body needs time to heal which is the building up period of your strength,stamina,etc
In regards to building muscle mass, I would leave that alone if I were you. It reads like you are fine the way you are.
Whatever you intend to do,keep your diet all natural.
-BB

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Kid Aphex said:
what's your daytoday diet like?

Almost all natural. Whole grains, real juices, brown rice, the like.

Absolutely never any fast or shit food.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
shirt said:
I took a martial arts class (sig) and loved it. It was only an introductory class, and I have yet to make the initial payment, but I fully plan to take it indefinitely. I'm skeptical however that it will build thoroughly. I suppose something that would compliment this would be good, but no big deal.

What did you do in the one class?

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Nesagwa said:
What did you do in the one class?

Ukemi (rolling), lots of throwing, some basic sword shit. My friend and I were told at the end of the class that it was intermediate, it was hard but really cool.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
shirt said:
Ukemi (rolling), lots of throwing, some basic sword shit. My friend and I were told at the end of the class that it was intermediate, it was hard but really cool.

So mostly technique and hardly any kata then?

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Nesagwa said:
So mostly technique and hardly any kata then?

Define kata.

The throwing instruction involved a short demonstration and then partnering up and practicing it repeatedly.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
shirt said:
Define kata.

The throwing instruction involved a short demonstration and then partnering up and practicing it repeatedly.

Kata are the actual exercises you do. As in practicing punching, uppercuts, jabs, crosses, kicks of various sorts, etc. repeatedly. The stuff that actually helps you build muscle.

If the class doesnt do alot of that you arent really working out.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Nesagwa said:
Kata are the actual exercises you do. As in practicing punching, uppercuts, jabs, crosses, kicks of various sorts, etc. repeatedly. The stuff that actually helps you build muscle.

If the class doesnt do alot of that you arent really working out.

Ah, right. I have a feeling that's along the lines of what goes on in Tuesday classes, I went on Thursday. Time will tell.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
shirt said:
Ah, right. I have a feeling that's along the lines of what goes on in Tuesday classes, I went on Thursday. Time will tell.

Ah, well as long as they do it sometime I guess.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Masturbate ferociously, and smoke Camels to keep away those unwanted pounds.

Close thread please.

playboycougar

Reese. ,
BIG BEAR said:
Should you work out if the body is sore? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Your body needs time to heal which is the building up period of your strength,stamina,etc
In regards to building muscle mass, I would leave that alone if I were you. It reads like you are fine the way you are.
Whatever you intend to do,keep your diet all natural.
-BB
Ditto that. Here's my circuit as of the past few months. I do this every 3 days: combination of triceps, biceps curls, bench press, squats, single leg touch downs. takes about 30 minutes. Rest ~45 seconds in between sets.
Every two days I run/jog for 15 minutes (~1.3 miles)

I've built so much muscle mass in just a few months. The key is heavy weight, low reps for muscle mass. Low weight and more reps for lean muscles.
EDIT: Oh and do not exercise every day or every two days. You are basically ripping your muscles and letting them repair, that's what building muscle mass is. So you need to let them repair themselves.

PS- eat egg whites and oat meal...

Last edited:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Skinny guy trying to put on muscle.

How tall are you? It will give a little insight to what kind of test your body produces.

Also you want to put on muscle. Low reps heavy weight, 6 reps and under. You have a high metabolism so whatever muscle you do put on will keep it lean. Which is def a plus.

Calario intake. start at 3000 - 3500 a day and work your way up if you are not seeing the gains that you want.

Protein - Should be taking in anywhere from 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound.

Feed your workout and you will grow.

And the most important thing overall. Be committed to going. If you are not committed to going you will not see improvement.

Your diet seems good though. Just eat more of it. And spread it out.

And work on isolate exercises first and when you gain more confidence in the weight you are pushing. Do more compound exercises. Basically exercises that work more then one muscle group and also target the core.

And you should still do cardio as it keeps your system on alert. Gives you better overall endurance, keeps your body regulated as you are constantly replacing the water. And gets rid of the impurities in your skin giving you a better hue. Also increases blood flow to the brain and increases circulation.

Last edited:

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
start swimming regularly (1-2-3 days a week) depending on how far and long you can stand it. if you dedicate yourself to actually trying and pushing the workouts you'll be in the best shape of your life and then stick to what's fun for you like a martial arts. swimming regularly will compliment training for any other sport. it can get boring but it works. you wont bulk up, you'll stay lean, but are you really that interested in completely changing yourself? i'll bet your mom loves you for who you are, isn't that enough?

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
wizkid007 said:
Skinny guy trying to put on muscle.

How tall are you? It will give a little insight to what kind of test your body produces.

Also you want to put on muscle. Low reps heavy weight, 6 reps and under. You have a high metabolism so whatever muscle you do put on will keep it lean. Which is def a plus.

Calario intake. start at 3000 - 3500 a day and work your way up if you are not seeing the gains that you want.

Protein - Should be taking in anywhere from 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound.

Feed your workout and you will grow.

And the most important thing overall. Be committed to going. If you are not committed to going you will not see improvement.

Your diet seems good though. Just eat more of it. And spread it out.

And work on isolate exercises first and when you gain more confidence in the weight you are pushing. Do more compound exercises. Basically exercises that work more then one muscle group and also target the core.

And you should still do cardio as it keeps your system on alert. Gives you better overall endurance, keeps your body regulated as you are constantly replacing the water. And gets rid of the impurities in your skin giving you a better hue. Also increases blood flow to the brain and increases circulation.

Too tall for my weight, I'm about 6'1, 150lbs. Like I said, impossible to keep up with my metabolism.

Also, I drink absurd quantities of water. I can't imagine this having any negative effect, and I don't plan on stopping.

Sounding like the whole low rep high weight thing is key. Still, I don't know how much weight is enough/too much.

That is a wicked crazy amount of calories, sounds like this is going to be expensive and demanding of concentration.

Here's my skinny ass BTW, yes you do want to see.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
From what I've always heard keep a super high protein diet and really push your limits with heavy weights and low reps every 3 days sore or not.

What do I know, I like being skinny.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
workout-wise, you need to get your core muscles developed. You should also try to do exercises which work out at least three muscle groups at a time. Get some free weights and a fitness ball. Do your bench pressing, flies, and everything thing else on the ball as if it was a bench. That will work your stabilizers and make you a lot stronger.

playboycougar

Reese. ,
shirt said:
Too tall for my weight, I'm about 6'1, 150lbs. Like I said, impossible to keep up with my metabolism.

Also, I drink absurd quantities of water. I can't imagine this having any negative effect, and I don't plan on stopping.

Sounding like the whole low rep high weight thing is key. Still, I don't know how much weight is enough/too much.

That is a wicked crazy amount of calories, sounds like this is going to be expensive and demanding of concentration.

Your body looks a lot like mine. Eat eat eat man. If you're going to be putting on muscle mass you're going to need to fuel that muscle. I noticed myself getting significantly more hungry after my first week of working out even.

FYI when I first started I was doing biceps curls with 10lbs. I wasn't that strong at all. Now I'm doing 3 sets of 10 with 20lbs. Triceps were 10, now 15.

Cardio is key as was mentioned. That will keep the fat off you if your muscle isn't burning up all of the energy you're intaking with the additional food you're eating.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
Masturbate ferociously, and smoke Camels to keep away those unwanted pounds.

Close thread please.

Stop giving away my secrets, motherfucker!!! :tickled:

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Seems like some valuable info here, appreciate it guys.

wasabi - can you recommend some key exercises that work out said multiple groups? Sounds up my alley.

I'm fairly intrigued by this "fitness ball" nonsense as well.

And the thing I've heard about super high protein diets is that you can eat a shitload, but you can only digest so much.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Get a job that requires grueling physical labor. You'll get strong in no time.

skam

Super Spy Agent
www.startingstrength.com

more of a coaching manual than anything and the section devoted to developing a routine is tiny, but it'll honestly give you the best possible start in lifting.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Your frame seems good to add on too. And since your tall you probably produce a good amount of test which also explains your good frame, high metabolism etc.

Yeah water is good. Dont stop drinking it.

About the weight. You really have to go the gym and just try out dif weight. You will find your limit pretty fast. Just go till you fail around 5-6 reps. That is what you should be doing. And if you can do more increase the weight as you are not doing enough. Its always good to have somebody work out with you aswell. As they can help you with a couple more reps after you fail to really tear the muscles. As that is where the size comes from. The tears as your body repairs itself.

And yeah eating 3000 calories a day can be expensive but its honestly what you need to help your muscles grow and repair themselves. If you find your weight going up not in muscle but in fat. Drop your intake down 300-500 calories per week and continue to weight yourself. Should even things out.

Also protein should be included in your calorie intake. Just times it by 4. So if you are taking 150 grams of protein a day in. That is 600 calories less calories you have to take in. Chicken is the best source. Tuna has mercury in it.

Also the body burns 1500 calories to just function on a day to day basis. It may be more for you.

Anyways I got to go to lunch.

shirt said: