Akio (Former Irem and Nazca sprite maestro) joined Twitter!

KGRAMR

Another Striker

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
This is great news! Love his art style. Here's to hoping we see more of his work in the video game side of things.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Maybe he’ll post whatever Neo Turf Masters concept art he has. That would be awesome.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Quite possibly the greatest pixel artist of all time. This is awesome.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
where's that karate guy to ask him 45 pages of weird questions?
From what i've read in a online post by a user at another forum that read the Metal Slug book by Bitmap, Akio is a very private person so, getting an interview with Akio would be like pulling an absolute miracle. It seems that Akio is like John Swartzwelder of The Simpsons. A weird analogy for everybody but let me explain: both are highly revered among fans and former staff due to their work.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm eating crow now. I'll remember this moment for the rest of my life anytime I'm feeling cynical and 100% sure of something. 60 years old!Eating crow all week

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Yeah, I'm eating crow now. I'll remember this moment for the rest of my life anytime I'm feeling cynical and 100% sure of something. 60 years old!Eating crow all week
Nah, don't worry! We're all cynical asshats here, especially nowdays :) 👍

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Someone needs to connect Akio with Yuzo Koshiro to combine the best 16-bit sprites and music for some future project.
With the recent announcement, it might happen someday if Akio is still up for the task. We have to keep in mind he's in his 60s and cannot work at the pace he used to. He pretty much revealed it in a post yesterday and yeah...

I will post the following English redaction by a guy called GSK/gosokkyu of what the comic reveals:

"AKIO shared a comic about his eventual retirement from SNK in 2010 & return to freelance work... on top of the insane working conditions on Metal Slug, he was rear-ended & (unknowingly) broke his neck but went right back to sleeping under his desk. His neck issues eventually manifested as full-body pain, dizziness, etc & he'd secretly been getting painkiller shots in his neck for 7yrs prior to quitting, at which point they'd stopped working.

Post-retirement, he wasn't quite bedridden, but pretty close, but after ~1yr he'd reached the point where the dizziness has faded and the pain in his arm had subsided to the point where he could use chopsticks, etc.

And at that point he'd run out of money & had to return to work anyway. His neck/arm pain persists & he can't work at the same pace anymore and there are times when he can't work, but he's glad he's been able to contribute to things like MtG [Magic the Gathering] since he went freelance, and he's extremely appreciative of all the attention he's received recently, so he wants to keep at it & hopes ppl will continue to support him."

Last edited:

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Is every former Irem/Nazca member coming out of the Woods? XD Joking aside, this is freaking incredible to witness.

This is, i believe, Shinichi Hamada (Hamachan). Hamachan worked on Metal Slug 1 and 2, but he joined Irem way before Nazca was formed. Hamachan is currently working as programmer on Black Finger Jet.

Who else is missing from the OG Metal Slug team? Susumu, Kozo, Pierre?